Club Touareg Forum banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Not yet, maybe this week. Working from home has it's advantages, but my daily commute to daycare doesn't get me above 60km/h all in residential area. By the time I reach destination (6km away), the engine hasn't even reach operating temperature.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
The B12 kit has been delayed yet again. I got in touch with ECS 2 days ago (1 day before estimated ship date) and he told me he could get it out on time (Feb 16th).

I got contacted by another seller that he could price match what I got from ECS delivered in USA (less taxes), so I cancelled the order with ECS and went with this other seller. Apparently, the kit is backordered until mid May. Price is 1701$ CAD tx in. I also re-ordered the spacers (15 +20mm) and should get them before I switch my summer tires.

minimum legal date to put the summer tire is Mid-March, but there is so much snow here right now I cannot imagine it will all be gone in 1 month.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Boney where you at. Did you take those vag track logs yet?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 · (Edited)
I did one run that wasn't clean at all, wheel slip in first and second gear. 15.1 @ 79MPH which isn't good. 0-100km/h was done in 7.8 (was over 8sec) so there is definitely improvement

I cannot wait for the snow to melt and getting some practice. however, I am getting worried about my transmission fluid and lunches, so I'll stay low profile until I change it...

here, the claim OEM
Trim0-60 times, 1/4 mile
2016 TDI Sport w/Technology 4dr All-wheel Drive 4MOTION
240 Hp, 406 Lb-Ft., 4919lbs Weight, 21 City / 29 Hwy mpg
6.9 sec, 15.3 @ 88

2014 TDI Executive 4dr All-wheel Drive 4MOTION
240 Hp, 406 Lb-Ft., 4974lbs Weight

9.5 sec, 17 @ 78

If this is true, this is quite an improvement

what I cannot understand is why the 2016 is so different when using the same engine... except that it is 60lbs lighter.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Were the roads snowy?

Also, the 2016 times listed are definitely before the diesel mod. 2014 looks like post diesel mod. The fix really killed performance in a big way.

Your slow 1/8 mile time but really high mph indicates to me you're being held back by traction and maybe 60' time significantly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
it will never be a drag queen (lol), it is way to heavy to be properly fast; and to produce enough power will kill bottom end power which is the reason why the truck is fun in the first place. So although I like speed, I know it is not the purpose of the vehicle. I just want an appreciable daily, and I am REALLY happy about it now.

this video gives a good example on how it sounds at the moment.

I think the table above refers the 2016 as 286hp and not the 240 like mine; which would explain the quite significant gap in performance. My time (altough sloppy) make sense. 14.9ish 1/4mile is plausible on a clean run I think.

using this calculator gives ballpark estimate. I assume it consider perfect traction & shifts. Using 5000lbs and FLYWHEEL HP
240hp gives 16.6 sec @ 85 MPH
286hp gives 15.7sec @ 91 MPH
325hp gives 15.06 sec @ 95 MPH
340hp gives 14.8 sec @ 96.5 MPH

so it should produce about 325HP at the moment.
All seems to make sense, except for my 15.2 with only Malone stage 2 which would give over 300HP on stock hardware, and we all know this is way too much. Stage 2 makes approx 280HP in my opinion.

I don't want to start an endless discussion about quarter mile & power time.

Bottom line: I don't care how much power it produces or how fast it is. I really dig how it behave and sound at the moment, regardless of the numbers LOL

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
That's all fair I'm just curious. I'm just telling you with the speed you racked up in your 1/8 mile that you are definitely having some traction issues or launching issues because at that speed your time should be significantly faster. Keep us posted if you find anything else out!

Reactions: zambony

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
I did a 400km highway drive this week, I noticed a quite significant gap in fuel economy. Stock post fix I was approx 8.2L/100km cruising at 120km/h

This week, I averaged 7.2-7.3L/100km for the same ride. Not a huge difference, still pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
got my stuff for the maintenance, only waiting nicer weather. was still -15C this morning... too cold to work outside.

engine, trans, diff, transfer case oil
Engine air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter
15 & 20mm spacers
transmission oil filters
bunch of plugs and o-rings

this will be fun

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It's looking good. You should get matching Llumar tint on the front windows to match the rest of the car

Reactions: zambony

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
After a lot of back & forth for the suspension setup and thinking the B12 kit would be forever backordered, I just got theses pictures from my local guy. My Bilstein B12 kit is HERE!

so OEM ish (R-Line) ride height to be expected, but improved handling. Anyway, just refreshing 8 years old shocks with OEM would make a difference, so I expect this to be better than new. exciting time... soon!
Since installation is a pain, I'll replace the rear top plate at the same time as they have bearings. Front only have some kind of spacers that I don't expect to wear/deteriorate.

As soon as the old setup is off, I'll measure spring rate of the old setup.

hello

otherwise, transmission oil & filter change is FINALLY done; all maintenance is now up to date so I am pretty happy. All filters (air, oil, fuel), all fluids, etc. When looking at it & driving it is hard to believe it is a 2014!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
The kit is in B12 box and all (still at local distributor and not at home) and I checked for the shock part number and it return to standard B6 rear shock.
Interestingly, Bilstein doesn't offer B8 struts in is catalogue, I assumed they were only selling it as full kit. But maybe their kit is using their standard B6 struts!!!

I'll dig this for sure.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,472 Posts
The kit is in B12 box and all (still at local distributor and not at home) and I checked for the shock part number and it return to standard B6 rear shock.
Interestingly, Bilstein doesn't offer B8 struts in is catalogue, I assumed they were only selling it as full kit. But maybe their kit is using their standard B6 struts!!!

I'll dig this for sure.
The number you have shown in your pic is definitely a B6 unit. Maybe they call them B12's because they are adding the two B6's for the front and rear respectively together. B6 + B6 = B12??

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The Touareg has very strange catalog entries with Bilstein. Typically Bilstein makes the same line across every automotive manufacturer but the Touareg is very unique. The B12 setup should have custom valving and spring work

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I understand. What I don't get is why they have the same part number if they are the NOT same.

also, German translation get an additional 10mm drop :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I don't know my man, they are very wishy-washy in their catalog description unfortunately.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Just spoke with Bilstein.
  • The B12 kit l bought is only listed for Porsche Cayenne on their website
  • All 4 struts in the kit are listed for my application
  • Eibach springs in the kit are listed for my application.
  • Some B12 kit are build with B6 struts when they don't make the B8.

So if you have B6 struts with Eibach lowering spring, you have got what is listed as B12 kit.

I should have stick with my initial order in February. H & R springs would have been 0.2in lower. Not that it makes a big difference, but it would have been a hair lower, a lot less trouble... and I would have it mounted in spring!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
That makes sense. Don't be so glum about it, you were going to love it and I want to hear all about it LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
a bit more on that.
Bilstein told me that it doesn't fit the Touareg, it is designed for the Cayenne. I know the struts will work, but the concern is about the springs.

When I look on the H&R side, the springs are different between Touareg and Cayenne of the same year. hummmmmmmm

261 - 280 of 291 Posts