Club Touareg Forum banner
241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Almost nobody on this forum makes these cars out to be death traps or **** boxes

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're right, it was more of an exaggeration (attempt to be funny) based on the few faults (very opinionated) people have seen on higher mileage cars, and stuff like the difficulty of finding techs.

But as someone who has only leased so far, this would be the first car i've ever owned/driven with more than 50k miles. So I was just poking around to see what the higher mileage life was like on these. I'm pretty mechanically oriented but I haven't had the opportunity (leases) or situation (garage of my own) to actually poke around, so i'm just gauging if this is a bear or a manageable chore to own a dope car.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Ah gotcha. Some of us take our Volkswagens very seriously!

They're good cars. Owning any German car you should be well to do so you can afford high quality care from dealers or Euro shops or be mechanically inclined AND well to do so you can do your own work

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
208 Posts
Well that makes me feel way better, this forum makes it seem like its a project car that will die on you if you arent sniffing the fuel pump monthly. I will try to get it if i can, its up to them if they want to sell me the VW or a similar year Jeep grand cherokee.
That is like every forum ever. Mine is nearing 300k km. No major faults. No fault codes in any module.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
In the US you also have the 10/100k powertrain so you still have that left. I didn't know what forum or posts you're reading, but I'd be all over that specimen knowing it's history and given the safety buffer involved.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 · (Edited)
Looking into some maintenance to be done once the weather will get better. March? April? who knows.

transmission, both diff and transfer case fuild refresh (going OEM all the way), cabin filter, fuel filter, air filters, etc..

I found 2 service kit from the rear diff, with or without lockable diff. I didn't see any motor on mine, so I suppose it is not the lockable version. it look just like that. Curious to see which T3 got that LSD...

very resourceful thread

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
The price of the oil change came quite at a shock. I called VW dealer and they mentioned more than once that the oil is good for lifetime (LOL?!) and shouldn’t be changed. I also asked what was left at my warranty and got informed that I didn't get the second part of the recall. If it doesn't come with a check, I will NOT do it as I got my TCM flashed already and I don't want to loose it!

I don’t care about what the dealer claims about oil life, I want to change it as no lubricant last forever. 14 years 240 000km is wayyy to long in my opinion. So I’ll analyze my old transmission oil; check properties (V100, oxidation, …) and metal wear. Let’s see who tells the truth!

Viscosity (40C & 100C)

spectrometer (metal wear)

FTIR

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I didn't get a price yet. but I don't understand how they can charge 170$

The oil filter is 122$
The oil pan gasket is +100$
the oil is +150$ (6 liters at 27$/L)
drain & fill plug (20$ ea)

If they charge me less than what I can get the parts for, I'll go to them for sure LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
ah! 170$ was the labor only!? from your post I was under the impression it was the total cost.

ECS sells a non OEM kit too.

I'm not going there. It can work for some, but for this I am an OEM type of guy. Definitely need synthetic IMO.

Pretty sure VW doesn't manufacture the oil filter themselves. Not going to take the chance anyway.

Meyle filter 42$
Automatic Transmission Filter

OEM, 122$ on "sale"
Automatic Transmission Filter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Naaa $170 for the oil/filter. (my labor was free) OEM is lifetime :) Ill be changing every 50k, it looked germanish so it should be ok lol. I may look to get a little better pump, that was the pain in the butt. and I got some adaptor that screws onto the pan so refilling should go a bit smoother next time

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 · (Edited)
Turbo and exhaust parts are getting on this Thursday, should get the truck back Friday. I tried to do a log this morning on VCDS, claimed 15.2s 400m, with snow on the ground LOL. 0-100km/h in 8.XX (forgot number, too noob to read the log). Snow storm is hitting us quite bad now, not sure I’ll get the chance to get a better run until then.

Bilstein kit not yet shipped (supposed to be the 15th), I’ll miss my window opportunity to get my stuff. Most likely have to wait until March.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
What is that vag com timing in terms of mods, just the tune?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
If I understand your question correctly, at the moment my truck has stage 2 malone + OEM pre fix transmission flash; everything else is OEM.
  • sport mode
  • off-road, traction & stability control OFF

Friday, (if weather allows a clean run)
stock GTB2260VZK turbo
Rawteck DPF & Downpipe.

edit: from what I can find, this is not bad.

stock is 15.3sec

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yeah I totally bombed that question but you understood me properly

Looking forward to hearing more

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
This weekend it was very cold, and I noticed an exhaust leak, air was coming off the fender. I was hopping a cracked downpipe or something like that as I am getting it off... no cigar

Right side manifold, on the flexible....

stealership wants 656$ for the part LOL
found it cheaper there

Buuuut oredered it used on ebay for 100GPB. (166$ CAD delivered).

that is unfortunate, because they almost had it in their hand when doing the turbo...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
Got the truck back. Only drove it 15min of city driving. yet:
  • Turbo lag doesn’t seems longer. not significantly anyway (doing pulls in 4gear at slow speed), Full boost under 2000RPM.
  • Engine is a bit longer to warm up
  • The flexible on my old downpipe was highly deteriorated/leaking and covered in soot. Good thing I did it at the same time (I am at the end of my extended warranty)
  • Exhaust is louder. Not brutal, but noticeably louder. OEM was whisper quiet, now it can be heard under enthusiastic acceleration. OEMish sound on highway.
  • I always enjoyed low end torque, but found that the engine was falling on it's face above 3500RPM (even with Malone stage 2). Now low end torque has improved, and pushes quite a lot harder up to 4500RPM. It is intoxicatingly good.
I would have been curious to test the OEM snail with downpipe & DPF to see the difference of each parts. approx 22 lbs of saving, plus DEF

• In my opinion, the step between OEM and Malone Stage 2 is small. It felt "improved OEM".
  • The step between Malone Stage 2 and Stage 3 with GTB2260VZK + downpipe + DPF is significant. It literally transformed the truck.

Video from rawtek

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Just to conclude on my turbocharger quest.

I am re-reading this thread, indeed GTD2263VK would have been a great turbo for my engine; most likely preferable to my GTB2260. However, there is quite a significant amount of fabrication required to mount it (Turbine IN are V-band and not bolted, exhaust too).

Turbine
GTD2263

GTB2260

Compressor
GTD2263

GTB2260

So the turbo core was the good choice. The only upgrade that could have been worthwhile is a ball bearing CHRA, turbine & compressor wheel; but that would put me at least 1500$ more. But honestly, I absolutely loves how it drives at the moment so I will leave it as is. I'll do a pull and check with VCDS. Boosting 1.9 Bar at the moment (27 PSI).

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Zambony have you made any additional vagcom track time runs?

241 - 260 of 291 Posts