Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new here.
Here is the new to me Touareg 2014 TDI Execline with R line. Car is in very good condition and was completely stock when I got it. I live in Montreal

rear seats when I got it, now has 3 kid seats and monster mats.

First thing I did is to remove the original “fabric” mats with OEM monster mats front, rear and trunk.
Second thing was a Malone Stage 2 tune (keeping emission stuff). Next was the Start & stop button renewal, and when looking on how to do it I found the auto-hold function; so I just ordered the button.
I see some rockchip on the rocker, so I got mudgards for all 4 corners. Not sure yet if I will install the rear one as they are quite big and do not protect anything.

Coming next
H & R springs
20in wheels, maybe 15mm spacers. I don't think I would go over 20 as I like the tire sidewall on such vehicle.
Disable video in motion for the entertainment of the 3 kids on the back seat on longer haul
Gear display

I would like more power, but I don’t think the investment would be wise for the power gain (new turbo). I would like more compression braking, so most likely transmission tune eventually.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I understand, but I mentioned up top that the second thing I did when I got it is a Malone Stg2 tune/remap. So my question was if there is another 40hp hidden without additional hardware… but I highly doubt so. My ideal power output would be in 400hp range, but without compromising the turbo lag.

2 questions:
  1. My windshield is brand new, I see vertical lines running in it (heating). I did quite a few search and couldn’t find anything for north America. This is a feature I would like A LOT
  2. For the gear display mod, would it be possible to display the number just in sport mode? In “regular” driving I don’t care what gear the car is in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The top end power didn't change THAT much after the tune. It pulls harder yes, but I have doubts about the 60hp claim as well. There is quite a lot more torque on lower RPM, definitely more peppy ride than before. I never drove the car "pre" emission fix, so I cannot compare. At 1800RPM, my back is quite firmly pushed against the seat which is nice. 400hp is more of a dream goal than a real ambition. I would definitely need a new snail, most likely high pressure fuel pump as well. I was under the impression that all the emission stuff doesn't change drastically the power (maybe just reduce turbo lag because of the backpressure drop), but my environmental conscience wasn't yet ready to do a full delete.

installed front mud guard (sorry photo quality is not great). Not sure yet if I'll install the rear one.

replaced the worn start button with one from ECS, I should get my auto hold button from Spain on the 27th.

Yes I am looking for another set of 20in wheels, I prefer to switch wheels for winter/summer instead of swapping tires on the same rims. It is always super busy at fall/spring in garage & tire shop; the quality of work is often deceiving and they don't take that much care.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know where you got your glass, but my same year, same spec car (minus R line) is on the original and there's no heated grid or anything in it. I am not aware of this having been an option here.
I think it was at VW. I am 100% sure I see lines in the windshield, but I can't find anything on that...
New brake on all 4 corners (disk & pads), fresh wax, new windshield as well.

Installed the front mudguards, the third screw didn't have backing so I made a small cut in the fender liner and insert a metal insert. Not mega solid, better than nothing.

As for the gear display, is it only in sport (S) mode or D as well? I would prefer only S. I should get my cable any day now...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
20k$. I add the mats (320$), tune (900$ish), mudgards, start button and few bits and pieces. BUT (and it is a big butt), it has 202k km. Not warranty... I typically drive 10k km per years, as I uses my bicycle April-November to commute to work; so the high mileage didn't bother me. Most importantly, the car is absolutely flawless. No stonechips on hood or bumpers, no wear on the leather, ....

I read (across) the thread where you debate about material properties and turbo map/lag; no debate there. 97.26% sure you have some kind of mechanical engineering background.
I know I would need a new turbo + downpipe (+ delete all emission stuff) and tune to increase the power even more, not sure about DSG flash (do they even exist for Touareg?) or other hardware required. This will eventually leads to engine refresh as well I guess.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Solid deal..... when was it fixed?
I don't understand the question. Emission fix? No idea.

As for power, again this is a dream goal. I am definitely not ready to compromise/trade low-end city driving fun for higher end highway pulls; and I like to keep turbo lag to a minimum. This is not a race car! Spending a 4-5k$ on turbo/injector/tune just 50-60hp doesn't seems like a good return on investment to me. I figured the turbo would be close to 2k, 1k for downpipe + SCR delete (buzzken), 1k for tune. If all that only results in 50hp hop and increased turbo lag; I would consider this a money NOT well spend!

I am not unsatisfied with the car performance, but I would definitely enjoy a bit more. And power is always addictive, there is never quite enough. The Touareg is such a heavy plateform; I figured at least 100hp would make it perfect and justify (a bit more) the expense. If my turbo is in need of rebuild eventually, that will be a good opportunity.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The car hasn't been used a lot since March (COVID) and ran 202k km in 6ish years. Assuming 33k per year, fix done in Sept 2018... must be pretty close.

I don't see the rush of checking now. If anything bad happens, I'll check if I am covered before doing any repair. If I am covered great, if I am not... well I'll have to pay! It doesn't change anything. I don't know if VW systematically check for ECM tune either. Even if I reverse to OEM tune (flashzilla) they will see it has change and might void warranty if there is anything left.

quite a lot is covered. I wish I would have read this "or" before the tune, maybe I would have wait a bit. I assumed 193k was the upper limit regardless. Too late now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got my auto-hold button, so pulled the center console for the second time this week LOL. The handbrake button retaining mechanism puzzled me; so I disconnected all connectors and remove the center console to be able to see properly what I was doing. I dropped one of the start button clip; chased it with a flat head screwdriver for a while and couldn't get it. Searched garbage bag to find the old switch (found it), and when I flipped the center console I found the missing clip. Ah well...

Still haven't received my cable, so I ordered a new one that I should get tomorrow and activate that feature. Button was 30Euro + 30 Euro shipping + 24$ surprise tax. All and all around 120$ for the switch. I really really like the machined surface in the interior (not wood). With the brown seats, black dash; the feel and finish is perfect for my taste.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Added the Dyno sheet if there was a question about the Malone numbers and a pic of my car because everyone loves pics.

Wow, it look almost perfect for my taste! How is comfort/handling with the drop? Any issues with the struts being lower? Are theses 20 or 21in? The numbers for the tune are quite deceptive. I didn’t believe 305HP with my butt dyno, but only 20hp gain is not a lot! What is the thing in your front bumper?

One of the thing that I feel the most since the Malone flash is the throttle respond is improved. No lag or hesitation.

I’ll keep digging/reading about TCU flash, what are the options with their pro & cons.

As for compression braking, any piston engine without fuel being injected can act as an air compressor.

Got my VAG com cable today, gonna check that early next week.
VIM, steering temperature, auto-hold, auto-hold color in dash, transmission gear.

I got a decent deal on a set of new (in bags!) Cayenne roof bars. I installed them and removed them immediately after; they will be on only when required. It is a hassle to clean snow on the roof with cross-bars and it doesn't look very good. But perfect for extra storage when going camping with the whole family.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Not a lot has happened since my last post; just planning things out. I bought a KKL cable and realized it only works with VCDS lite and I keep having the same “controller not responding” fault. So I finally ordered the real thing HEX V2 cable and I should get it Friday and finally get my tweaks done.

If anyone is around and want to use my cable, I got 6 VIN left. I would do something like 60$ for 2 days for 1 VIN, 30$ if you need it for the same vehicle later on. The cable is worth 500$ CAD…

I am eyeballing used wheels; I didn’t find anything to my taste yet. No rush anyway, my winter tires are on and I have all winter to find something IF I want to use different rims next summer. I will most likely drop it on H & R next summer; I don't mind OEM wheels with a drop.

Power wise & TCU flash, I still have a lot of reading to do. I was considering 400hp, but I would like an extra 100hp on top of whatever I have at the moment so I'll have a look of what is needed. I have a feeling Santa might pass by Buzzken shop on his way home. We'll see!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I read quite a lot before getting the tune from Malone and I have been told to stay away from Unitronix for diesel engines. Still interesting to compare dyno sheet.

Stock engine full boost around 1800 RPM (peak in torque curve)

And malone stage 3 (with turbo upgrade GTD2872VRK, GTD2872VRZK, or Bobby Singh VZK Hybrid ) seems to be close to 2700 RPM; which is not great.

Stage 3 seems to have less than 100HP at 2000 RPM where stock has close to 180HP!

I would be very curious to see Malone stage 2 with the DPF delete to see if there is any power gain and or turbo lag reduction (sooner spool).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Great lookin rig, looks like mine. I did paint those wheels black, they just dont look right silver, and i need that start button too :(
I am looking into wheels right now

found those that are a bit rough. re-finish is 450$ + 80$ to mount tire + tx. Seems like on the high side for such wheels. One details that bug me a bit is they are directional; but all 4 wheels are the same. There should be 2 left and 2 right.

feel free to post pic of your ride. I like black wheels, but I am thinking into dark bronze too.

I got my button from ECS. Small detail, but it bothered me so much LOL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
hummm
I am reading this right?
green = stock: 237HP (claimed HP, fine)
red = just flash + delete: 305 HP
purple = new turbo + delete: 350HP?

If so, that meets what I am looking for with an extra 100hp ish

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Got a real Tech Ross cable and WOW this is going smoothly VS the KKL crap.

The only thing I had time to do is to activate the "auto hold" feature and I really enjoy it. I didn't expected that it would apply the handbrake when the car is in park; I enjoy that as well. Most of the time the handbrake are seizing on automatic car because they are never used.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I used to engage handbrake when I park at home (everydays) as an habit as this is my first automatic car. But I noticed after activating auto-hold that the hand brake is systematically applied after I put the car to park. I don't mind at all, as the car is fully stopped when... well when I stop. Typically it will take the slack in the drivetrain and lock to park with the transmission.

The auto-hold is such a nice feature.
Just set the steering temp to 32C (instead of 28), looking forward to that as well. I am searching if there is a way to retain the heated steering (same as when the car was turned off) instead of activating it each time I start. It is at freezing temperature outside (already!) I'll definitely use it all the time in the coming months.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I had a few minutes to do a few more VCDS code, nice.

Bump steering wheel temperature from 28 to 32, then 33.
Video in motion, will be great for the long road (Top gear!!)
green sign for auto-hold
no more seat belt warning (but I always use it anyway)

The coding for gear display was different, I'll dig a bit more.
I didn't find anything for heated steering memory (if ON when the car is turned off, stay ON when the car is started)
DVD rip to HDD

1 - 20 of 148 Posts