Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
Thats the best looking Touareg made right there.. that white, brown interior, r-line Exec.. absolutely gorgeous. Love the wheels too.

Your Touareg should already have 20s on it.. you mean you're getting different 20s?
Compression braking - diesels dont compression brake naturally. Not really gonna happen.
Going to have to strongly disagree, diesels have excellent engine braking.

Edit - please don't use the Wikipedia article on engine braking, as it is extremely incorrect.

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
why do you say the tune is worthless without the TCM upgrade?

typically a throttle body is what gives the most amount of engine braking. as you know, most diesels don't have throttle bodies and the ones that do use them for emissions control so they aren't the same as having an actual throttle body. Completely different purposes.
The throttle body gives basically zero engine braking. Engine braking occurs from energy lost to heat during compression, frictional losses, pumping losses etc. Contrary to popular opinion, a piston in an engine does not operate as an efficient air spring. The power stroke does not last from tdc to bdc.

Go jump in an old school petrol engine with a throttle cable. Drive it down a hill in gear, turn off the engine, and press the throttle to the floor. It engines brakes the same as with zero throttle.

I don't know why this falsity is perpetuated on the internet as nauseum.

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
Interesting. Then what is the explanation for the hundreds of diesels I've driven having poor engine braking UNLESS it's accompanied by a mixture of trans braking, exhaust braking, or braking via turbo vanes?

Also curious that of all the gassers I've driven, manually downshifting (whether auto or stick) have enough force to throw you forward, but I've never experienced that from a diesel
Trans braking?

Perhaps it's the gearing? It's anecdotal.

Prove it to yourself, go try what I said in a petrol car with a cable throttle. My Touareg has no problem engine braking at all, the txu shifts down and holds a gear up to about 3000rpm going down a hill. I barely touch the brakes on decents.

Look at how compression and power strokes work on an engine, and look at where in each stroke the valves open and shut, and tell me if that seems like an efficient air spring.[/QUOTE]

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
I'd personally be much more interested in going to a GTD. People have modified them to bolt up to the 1.9 and 2.0s, so can't see why they couldn't put an appropriate rear housing on them to suit these things.

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
Ahh bummer that you can't cancel. I'm sure you'll be happy with the b6 and h&r setup. No it won't be as absolute as the b12 kit but I'm sure you'll still love it. Give us a review after a few days driving on it!

The r line does indeed have different springs but I cannot find a single piece of literature anywhere on the planet that discusses spring rates or shock valving. Do you happen to have that information?
R line shocks are a different part number.

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
Well that makes me feel way better, this forum makes it seem like its a project car that will die on you if you arent sniffing the fuel pump monthly. I will try to get it if i can, its up to them if they want to sell me the VW or a similar year Jeep grand cherokee.
That is like every forum ever. Mine is nearing 300k km. No major faults. No fault codes in any module.

· Registered
2012 180TDI
331 Posts
Don't know how dynos work downunder, but on this side of the pond they result in a power/tq graph vs rpm which illustrates power curve, peaks, spikes, etc. Many of us also log other various parameters when doing dyno pulls like AFR/Lambda, EGTs, etc.
If you don't start your pull at 2.5k rpm to mask just how useless your big turbo is on a DD, you can easily see lag/spool.

As previously stated, I'm interested in seeing the difference between how the different snails react and shift the area under the curve instead of some peak output or whatever gets most people around here hard AF.
Engine is full throttle before you release the brake on the dyno. You are after boost threshold, which is different to lag.

When you talk about how it "shifts the area under the curve", you are talking about boost threshold.

People often get lag and boost threshold mixed up, just link intercooler and aftercooler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts