Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thats the best looking Touareg made right there.. that white, brown interior, r-line Exec.. absolutely gorgeous. Love the wheels too.

Your Touareg should already have 20s on it.. you mean you're getting different 20s?
Compression braking - diesels dont compression brake naturally. Not really gonna happen.
I would be careful with that tune and big turbos and all that etc... I'd be hesitant to blow the warranty on such a new car
For the rockchips.. buy a Dr. ColorChips kit - they're excellent
Mud-guards - OEM is best. ECS has excellent OEM mud-guards

Yes you can add the gear display using vagcom just uncheck the box that says something like "suppress gear icon" or whatever
400hp is not happening without a hybrid turbo

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I don't know where you got your glass, but my same year, same spec car (minus R line) is on the original and there's no heated grid or anything in it. I am not aware of this having been an option here.

400hp is hopes and dreams without major, major changes.

Go hit a dyno to see what your malone 2 gave you.... I've seen others post very conservative results instead of what's being claimed on the site, etc., but they were in much warmer climates.
Stage II w/ all emissions intact is right around 275-285hp on the 225hp TDI

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Irrelevant as he's got a 240 baseline and @TheChunknorris has dynoed his "similar' spec model with less than "claimed" results from what I recall..... which is why I'm asking if getting another dyno "validation" is possible.
I hear you. the problem is 240 horse versions don't really make any more than the 225 horse versions after tuning. And I'm telling you the 275 to 285 horsepower region from personal experience. It's easy enough to do some track testing and punch in some numbers into a horsepower calculator which tends to be extremely accurate. the problem is, for me anyhow, nobody gives a rat's ass about horsepower it's the track times that actually count.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I completely agree and I hear you on that one. I know a guy with a Q5 and he made 260 horsepower and 390 ft lb of torque to the wheels. He has stage 2 malone, full delete, EGR disable, swirl flaps disable and a complete exhaust rework. Doing a basic calculation using a factor of 20% drivetrain loss this will definitely put you about 312 horsepower at the crank. So I suppose if every single one of thoseattributes have been met then sure yeah Malone stage two will give you 305 horsepower or whatever LOL

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Your stock injection pump is good to about 450 horsepower so no worries there. not to mention there isn't a direct swap available for you that doesn't take some machining and custom fabrication.

Your tune is definitely not giving you 60 horsepower it's more along the lines of 40.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It will display in both when you make the shifter display change

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Agreed, it's absolutely perfect in every way

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Injectors and injection pump aren't limiting factors until 450hp.

The Aisin TR-80SD is limited, per the manufacturer, to 630 ft/lbs of torque which will be very easy to surpass with a hybrid turbo. There are a couple people running hybrid turbos on these without any issues. A good tuner can also tune in torque limiting in the first few gears or at lower RPM at least which should also help save the transmission. knock on wood but you never hear of these transmissions being blown out.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bro no worries at all. I think it was a heat issue being that I’m in Miami. That tune is worthless without the TCM upgrade IMHO. Especially in the 2-3 gear shift, it’s just odd but the extra power is there. Also for the others regarding the tune, I have all my DPF **** still.
why do you say the tune is worthless without the TCM upgrade?

Going to have to strongly disagree, diesels have excellent engine braking.

Edit - please don't use the Wikipedia article on engine braking, as it is extremely incorrect.
typically a throttle body is what gives the most amount of engine braking. as you know, most diesels don't have throttle bodies and the ones that do use them for emissions control so they aren't the same as having an actual throttle body. Completely different purposes.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The shift points are rather strange while driving. Power braking then launching is fun as hell, I feel like the power is there but you’d have to have the tune to understand what I’m saying.
But I can brake boost with my post fix TCU, I think it boosts around 2,500 or 2,700 rpm...in fact I pull around 1.05 g in lateral Force and cut 2.04 second 60 ft times... So how would the prefix TCU benefit me performance wise?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The throttle body gives basically zero engine braking. Engine braking occurs from energy lost to heat during compression, frictional losses, pumping losses etc. Contrary to popular opinion, a piston in an engine does not operate as an efficient air spring. The power stroke does not last from tdc to bdc.

Go jump in an old school petrol engine with a throttle cable. Drive it down a hill in gear, turn off the engine, and press the throttle to the floor. It engines brakes the same as with zero throttle.

I don't know why this falsity is perpetuated on the internet as nauseum.
Interesting. Then what is the explanation for the hundreds of diesels I've driven having poor engine braking UNLESS it's accompanied by a mixture of trans braking, exhaust braking, or braking via turbo vanes?

Also curious that of all the gassers I've driven, manually downshifting (whether auto or stick) have enough force to throw you forward, but I've never experienced that from a diesel

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Nope. This is the best shifting tranny I've ever driven in a truck. 2-3 is perfect except when cold 3rd runs up unless you manual shift it

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My car isn't exactly stock, air and exhaust mods, and that has significantly improved response and the shifting. Not to mention I've been using a form of cayenne shift strategy. I'd love to compare shifting to that of joe's tcu. Would videos work??

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Fair enough

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I believe in being realistic, and as such, I will say the following. (IMO and I'm sure dreamers and keyboard tuners will not agree)

Adding another 100hp requires A LOT including a bottom end killing snail upgrade, and you are still faced with the unavoidable hurdle of maxing out the fuel system. Do your homework and know exactly what you're getting into in order to avoid disappointment, as you won't be happy after spending $5k+ to not even get there.
The bottom end is fine, but you'll definitely need a turbo and you'll definitely need to find somebody to custom tune it. Most tuners won't touch a custom turbo Touareg and if they do it's going to be big bucks, probably another 500-700 dollars and you'll have to do your own data logging

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I wasn't talking about the engine bottom end.... the bottom end of the power curve (aka spool time).
You can't jack power up by anything close to 100 extra ponies with any magical hybrid snail if you don't want to sacrifice low end grunt.
Ah my bad. That is true, you'll definitely have to shift the power curve to the right for the power gains but not as hugely as one would be think

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Unitronic is fine for gassers. They don't make good tuning for diesels

Also, that stage III stuff from malone. That's new. Super cool find!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Got a real Tech Ross cable and WOW this is going smoothly VS the KKL crap.

The only thing I had time to do is to activate the "auto hold" feature and I really enjoy it. I didn't expected that it would apply the handbrake when the car is in park; I enjoy that as well. Most of the time the handbrake are seizing on automatic car because they are never used.
Volkswagen automatically engages/disengages the park brake upon shutdown if the park brake hasn't been used for a specified period of time.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Don't know what dyno you're looking at because there's nothing happening on that low end. 👆
Lol nothing happens until 3k

1 - 20 of 76 Posts