Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Irrelevant as he's got a 240 baseline and @TheChunknorris has dynoed his "similar' spec model with less than "claimed" results from what I recall..... which is why I'm asking if getting another dyno "validation" is possible.
Added the Dyno sheet if there was a question about the Malone numbers and a pic of my car because everyone loves pics.

· Registered
340 Posts
Wrong chart bud.. that looks like your baseline before the tune. Did you ever investigate why your results were not as advertised?
Pre and post tune are in that chart attached, did I miss something? Sadly I haven’t, I’ve only been home for 2 months in the last year and a half... got stuck on a ship for 8 months because of the Rona. The dealer flashed my ECU for some recall so I need to do it again so we’ll see.

· Registered
340 Posts
My bad... I only looked at the top chart.. I need to lay off the crack... Rona brain tonight.
Bro no worries at all. I think it was a heat issue being that I’m in Miami. That tune is worthless without the TCM upgrade IMHO. Especially in the 2-3 gear shift, it’s just odd but the extra power is there. Also for the others regarding the tune, I have all my DPF **** still.

· Registered
340 Posts
Nope. This is the best shifting tranny I've ever driven in a truck. 2-3 is perfect except when cold 3rd runs up unless you manual shift it
With that said, everyone I know who had a pre fix car... prefers the pre fix to the post fix specifically for the 2-3 gear shift logic. A buddy of mine pointed it out in my car and he had an early 2014 TDI when new and returned it to VW after the fix because he hated it. My car currently has the new ECU flash from VW and it really smoothed everything out. So now I’ve had the post fix - pre tune, post fix - Malone Stage 2 and now the post fix - latest ECU program from VW.

· Registered
340 Posts
My car isn't exactly stock, air and exhaust mods, and that has significantly improved response and the shifting. Not to mention I've been using a form of cayenne shift strategy. I'd love to compare shifting to that of joe's tcu. Would videos work??
So you’re kinda proving my point. You don’t have just a stage 2 tune... you have additional mods. You don’t have the regular Touareg spec... you have Porsche TCM software. I don’t know how much different the Porsche TCM tune is to the Touareg TCM modded by Joe. You’re no longer comparing apples to apples and I really don’t know what else to tell you. If you have a Stage 2+, the factory post fix tune will not do you any favors.

· Registered
340 Posts
Wow, it look almost perfect for my taste! How is comfort/handling with the drop? Any issues with the struts being lower? Are theses 20 or 21in? The numbers for the tune are quite deceptive. I didn’t believe 305HP with my butt dyno, but only 20hp gain is not a lot! What is the thing in your front bumper?

One of the thing that I feel the most since the Malone flash is the throttle respond is improved. No lag or hesitation.

I’ll keep digging/reading about TCU flash, what are the options with their pro & cons.

As for compression braking, any piston engine without fuel being injected can act as an air compressor.

Got my VAG com cable today, gonna check that early next week.
VIM, steering temperature, auto-hold, auto-hold color in dash, transmission gear.

I got a decent deal on a set of new (in bags!) Cayenne roof bars. I installed them and removed them immediately after; they will be on only when required. It is a hassle to clean roof with cross-bars and it doesn't look very good. But perfect for extra storage when going camping with the whole family.
Thank you for the kind words. The wheels are Vorsteiner VFF 103 in 21x10 +45. It rides very well but I probably would’ve gotten upgraded shocks. It’s smooth but over uneven surfaces it can get a little unsteady and that’s obviously speed related. I have a brush guard but you have an R Line which has a lower section to the bumper that is specific to that trim.

· Registered
340 Posts
I hope you do it just to prove me wrong!
I'm going on record now, saying that you will be 2x that $$$$ for those gains IF you do your own wrenching.

Negative Nancy out :cool:
Agreed. Also for the OP, the $250 is for the tune time or for software? The I wish I would’ve done the B6 upgrade. If you’re not doing the install yourself, be ready for the labor cost of the spring install.

· Registered
340 Posts
10k$ is definitely a no go for such power gains. we'll see how it rolls out. The DPF delete might happens anyway if it get troublesome, it is most likely cheaper to delete than OEM fix. As there doesn't seems to get a significant power gain, but definitely a big change in emissions I'll wait. I do a lot of short city driving...
Turbo upgrade would happen if the turbo fails AND I cannot get it fix under warranty. we'll see!

As for the tune price, Malone only charges the tune price difference +100$ for re-flash when changing tune. I already paid 650$ for stage 2, stage 3 is 800$ so I have to pay 150+100$ for the new tune. If I do the DPF delete, it is another 250$ on top. If I only do the DPF delete, it is 250$ + 100$.

I got a quote for 1100$ CAD for springs with installation (springs are 500$ CAD alone), I find it a bit steep. Considering the struts have to be remove to install the springs, the truck/struts age and significant amount of labor involve, I want to do it properly and do the shocks at the same time as the springs. I expect the suspension bill to be a bit more, most likely top plates and some linkages/bushing will be required too. Doing only the springs now, and upgrade the shocks in a year or so doesn't make sense financially. The plan is to keep the car 5-8 years, so I guess I can get most of the life out of the B6 struts. All in all, this should be just over 3k$ CAD for struts, springs and spacers.
springs, 450$ (275$ USD for ECS or other)
struts: 1600$ (1581$ from rockauto, if no duties)
spacers & bolts:400$ (225$ USD + shipping)
Labor: 500$
duties, taxes, alignement, surprises...
The hour allotment for the spring install is expensive because the trunk tray needs to come out to get to the rear strut towers. The fact you’re getting separate shocks negates the disassembly of the OEM set up. There’s a way to get to the towers without the removal of the tray but you obviously can’t ask the shop to charge you less money for the install in the hopes they perform the service that way.

Are you planning on getting it dynoed?

· Registered
340 Posts
Negative. I only looked into it briefly as I wanted an R due to the aesthetic ground effects, but as soon as I saw that it would be both lower and stiffer, it was a hard pass for me so I tapped out. I do recall reading that the specifics were some huge VW secret apparently.
I know this is as unscientific as hell but I did park next to a RLine in a parking garage and the H&R set up with stock shocks was a hair lower than the OEM RLine.

· Registered
340 Posts
Assuming you do not have air suspension, yes you can get the B12 pro-kit for the 2004-2010 here:

Keep in mind, they are DIFFERENT part numbers 2004-2010 vs 2011+
I have a 2015 so obviously I wouldn’t get the 2004-2010. To be fair the shocks are the last things I’ll be doing now that I picked up another car.

· Registered
340 Posts
let's not get bug down with power and torque figures, it is irreverent to my point. What matters is how it drives, and it is awesome & fun lol

I can settle for stock figures if it makes anyone happy. 240HP & 406ft is still a hell lot more than most AWD cars and cannot reach the fuel consumption I posted. I couldn't even do that with my impreza (2.5 NA). it is golf sportwagen 4motion territory, but MUCH bigger and heavier.
No I was just curious because I have a Stage 2 Malone, need to remove the DPF system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts