Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new here.
Here is the new to me Touareg 2014 TDI Execline with R line. Car is in very good condition and was completely stock when I got it. I live in Montreal

rear seats when I got it, now has 3 kid seats and monster mats.

First thing I did is to remove the original “fabric” mats with OEM monster mats front, rear and trunk.
Second thing was a Malone Stage 2 tune (keeping emission stuff). Next was the Start & stop button renewal, and when looking on how to do it I found the auto-hold function; so I just ordered the button.
I see some rockchip on the rocker, so I got mudgards for all 4 corners. Not sure yet if I will install the rear one as they are quite big and do not protect anything.

Coming next
H & R springs
20in wheels, maybe 15mm spacers. I don't think I would go over 20 as I like the tire sidewall on such vehicle.
Disable video in motion for the entertainment of the 3 kids on the back seat on longer haul
Gear display

I would like more power, but I don’t think the investment would be wise for the power gain (new turbo). I would like more compression braking, so most likely transmission tune eventually.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,385 Posts
Reactions: antonroland

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I understand, but I mentioned up top that the second thing I did when I got it is a Malone Stg2 tune/remap. So my question was if there is another 40hp hidden without additional hardware… but I highly doubt so. My ideal power output would be in 400hp range, but without compromising the turbo lag.

2 questions:
  1. My windshield is brand new, I see vertical lines running in it (heating). I did quite a few search and couldn’t find anything for north America. This is a feature I would like A LOT
  2. For the gear display mod, would it be possible to display the number just in sport mode? In “regular” driving I don’t care what gear the car is in.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Thats the best looking Touareg made right there.. that white, brown interior, r-line Exec.. absolutely gorgeous. Love the wheels too.

Your Touareg should already have 20s on it.. you mean you're getting different 20s?
Compression braking - diesels dont compression brake naturally. Not really gonna happen.
I would be careful with that tune and big turbos and all that etc... I'd be hesitant to blow the warranty on such a new car
For the rockchips.. buy a Dr. ColorChips kit - they're excellent
Mud-guards - OEM is best. ECS has excellent OEM mud-guards

Yes you can add the gear display using vagcom just uncheck the box that says something like "suppress gear icon" or whatever
400hp is not happening without a hybrid turbo

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I don't know where you got your glass, but my same year, same spec car (minus R line) is on the original and there's no heated grid or anything in it. I am not aware of this having been an option here.

400hp is hopes and dreams without major, major changes.

Go hit a dyno to see what your malone 2 gave you.... I've seen others post very conservative results instead of what's being claimed on the site, etc., but they were in much warmer climates.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I don't know where you got your glass, but my same year, same spec car (minus R line) is on the original and there's no heated grid or anything in it. I am not aware of this having been an option here.

400hp is hopes and dreams without major, major changes.

Go hit a dyno to see what your malone 2 gave you.... I've seen others post very conservative results instead of what's being claimed on the site, etc., but they were in much warmer climates.
Stage II w/ all emissions intact is right around 275-285hp on the 225hp TDI

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Stage II w/ all emissions intact is right around 275-285hp on the 225hp TDI
Irrelevant as he's got a 240 baseline and @TheChunknorris has dynoed his "similar' spec model with less than "claimed" results from what I recall..... which is why I'm asking if getting another dyno "validation" is possible.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Remember this?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Irrelevant as he's got a 240 baseline and @TheChunknorris has dynoed his "similar' spec model with less than "claimed" results from what I recall..... which is why I'm asking if getting another dyno "validation" is possible.
I hear you. the problem is 240 horse versions don't really make any more than the 225 horse versions after tuning. And I'm telling you the 275 to 285 horsepower region from personal experience. It's easy enough to do some track testing and punch in some numbers into a horsepower calculator which tends to be extremely accurate. the problem is, for me anyhow, nobody gives a rat's ass about horsepower it's the track times that actually count.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
So as I was saying..... the vendor's site claims 305hp.... if I was the one buying the tune, and I was paying for 305 but receiving 275 as per your statement, I'd be very upset. Maybe my expectations are too high.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I completely agree and I hear you on that one. I know a guy with a Q5 and he made 260 horsepower and 390 ft lb of torque to the wheels. He has stage 2 malone, full delete, EGR disable, swirl flaps disable and a complete exhaust rework. Doing a basic calculation using a factor of 20% drivetrain loss this will definitely put you about 312 horsepower at the crank. So I suppose if every single one of thoseattributes have been met then sure yeah Malone stage two will give you 305 horsepower or whatever LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The top end power didn't change THAT much after the tune. It pulls harder yes, but I have doubts about the 60hp claim as well. There is quite a lot more torque on lower RPM, definitely more peppy ride than before. I never drove the car "pre" emission fix, so I cannot compare. At 1800RPM, my back is quite firmly pushed against the seat which is nice. 400hp is more of a dream goal than a real ambition. I would definitely need a new snail, most likely high pressure fuel pump as well. I was under the impression that all the emission stuff doesn't change drastically the power (maybe just reduce turbo lag because of the backpressure drop), but my environmental conscience wasn't yet ready to do a full delete.

installed front mud guard (sorry photo quality is not great). Not sure yet if I'll install the rear one.

replaced the worn start button with one from ECS, I should get my auto hold button from Spain on the 27th.

Yes I am looking for another set of 20in wheels, I prefer to switch wheels for winter/summer instead of swapping tires on the same rims. It is always super busy at fall/spring in garage & tire shop; the quality of work is often deceiving and they don't take that much care.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Your stock injection pump is good to about 450 horsepower so no worries there. not to mention there isn't a direct swap available for you that doesn't take some machining and custom fabrication.

Your tune is definitely not giving you 60 horsepower it's more along the lines of 40.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I had no idea I was going to have popcorn for lunch today......

Reactions: Landpanther

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it was at VW. I am 100% sure I see lines in the windshield, but I can't find anything on that...
New brake on all 4 corners (disk & pads), fresh wax, new windshield as well.

Installed the front mudguards, the third screw didn't have backing so I made a small cut in the fender liner and insert a metal insert. Not mega solid, better than nothing.

As for the gear display, is it only in sport (S) mode or D as well? I would prefer only S. I should get my cable any day now...

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It will display in both when you make the shifter display change

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Agreed, it's absolutely perfect in every way

1 - 20 of 281 Posts