Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everybody! I picked up a 2004 v10 TDI at auction for $3900 :) mileage is unknown. THe display is out of course. And the 2 front tires are worn on the outside pretty bad (19") there is 2 codes and an oil leak I can post later.
Other than that, this thing is a beast!! Haha! Makes me smile just as much as my 06 gto.
Codes are P0381 glow plug related I'm pretty sure
P3058 the scanner didn't know what that was lol. It was just an auto zone scanner.
I've worked on an old Mercedes diesel is about the extent of my diesel experience, but have worked on cars since I was 15. So I'm not scared, but Im not good.
Cheers

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You MUST run with 4 IDENTICAL tires as in same size, same make, same model,same tread pattern and with no more than 2mm or 2/32the tread depth difference to avoid expensive transmission damage so you most probably need 4 need tires.

Find the "buying a used Touareg" thread which is all over this forum. Read it carefully ASAP and you will know what else to expect including the key issue of running the EXACTLY the right oil in your V10 to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear.

So, ASAP, you need fresh engine oil, new ATF in the gearbox, new oil in the differentials and, from the VW dealer, the correct 850ml bottle of oil for the transfer box.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Oh, I forgot to state the bleedin' obvious - you also need a full 4 wheel laser alignment as soon as you fit the new set of tires!

And, if you haven't already done so, get yourself the right VAG diagnostic kit ASAP too - VCDS from Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a little west of pueblo.
Thanks for the info guys. I will more than likely park her soon until I have a nice tune up ready to go. I am very impressed with this little vehicle. I have done some research on the q7, cayenne, Touareg, and GL320 and 50. I was going to need something for the winter that holds children and can still get decent economy. I loved my mk4 Jetta and my 300d Mercedes. But I hated the dumb **** that would fall apart and go wrong with the Jetta. So I wanted the GL.
Until one morning as I'm buying my mom a little trail blazer, next in line i see a smoky little dub. The auctioneer is dropping the price and I look in the back. V10 TDI. Sold. I do love this reg so far.

Today, the glow plug light was blinking while the car was idling in the cold. But still started and ran fine.
Later on, the check engine light disappears. So no check engine light now.
She's a bit hesitant with the cold starts. It was really cold recently. 0 and a little under.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You are about to find out what complecity is with the V10. Have you noticed the extra exhaust pipe (under drivers door) breathing diesel fumes on these cold mornings? It kicks on under 39F. With the 2004, retrofitting the Webasto Telestart is easy...warm car up without starting engine. Install the euro console timer for a warm car after the ski-lifts close. There is a huge DIY from master V10 here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts