Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had the 23AK done on my 2015 yesterday. Maybe a bit too early to tell, but my fuel consumption is up..... primarily due to me enjoying what I believe is less turbo lag. I'm pretty sure consumption will be relatively the same once have had a chance to let my enjoyment subside. Cold shifting feels better, shudder seems to be gone, and I really do notice power coming on earlier. Feels better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
has anyone done the V2 fix but had yktreg TCU update already in? I heard v2 is only a ECU update?
I had the yktreg TCU original coding modification performed on my Wifes 13 q7 tdi about a year ago and it cured the shifting problems and many drivability problems after the original Audi fix.

She still had many engine relayed drivability problems such as needing new adblue: injector, metering module, pump and flanges. Other problems included EGR cooler, solenoid, valve and needing carbon cleaning of intake and flappers. All these repairs still did not cure a low temperature, low speed, random engine shutter and bucking. Of course, I found out about the Lemon Law provision of the settlement after the 18 month window expired, otherwise I would have cashed out this car in a heartbeat.

I did not want to lose my yktregs TCU coding, but had to do something to try to cure the engine problems, so we had the Service Action 23Z9 performed. My impressions are that engine lag has decreased and performance has increased. The engine stutter and bucking are gone. ( although it is too early to tell, as any other service or code clearing has made it run good, but the symptoms would return after a week or two). Regarding the TCU and shifting, this most recent service action definitely changed the shifting.

Compared to the yktreg coding, the new service action revs are definitely higher during warmup acceleration, and holds lower gears longer. Some transmission lag has returned when reapplying throttle after coasting, but this is masked by a more responsive engine.
Overall, this new fix really is more refined and I would definitely recommend getting the service action performed. The TCU shifting is much better than the original fix shifting ( but not as good as the original cheat coding or yktregs coding).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had my 2016 done today. My battery needed replaced and I had an appointment to drop it off this morning so I read up to see if anyone was talking about the update on here yet as I was initially not going to have it done. I came across this thread which convinced me to have them do the software upgrade today when the new battery was replaced. I purchased the car in October with about 14k miles and i'm at about 20k now. I never drove a pre-fix TDI but in my 20 or so miles home from work (which is such a small sample size) I would say there is most definitely a noticeable improvement all around. The starting from a stop is much smoother and powerful now, it does seem to pull higher up the RPM range and just feels better in general. Time will tell, some of this may be in my head after reading this thread and expecting improvement but so far I am pretty confident it's there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks guys for this information. I have a yrktreg tune on a second TCM. Still have the orginal in the Treg. Seems like getting this update and then swapping in my module may be the way to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have yrktreg's tune on a 2nd TCM (installed) in my 16 TDI. I will put the original (VW fixed) TCM back in prior to getting the 23AK recall performed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the 23AK done yesterday. Also have yrktreg's TCM flash. Throttle response/turbo lag is much improved with the 23AK flash.

Haven't noticed any difference with the TCM. Maybe not enough seat time? Is there in fact hard data proving that the TCM map was altered or just people's "butt dyno" opinion? I was told only the ECU map was changed but VW's credibility is that strong anymore...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my ECU reprogrammed yesterday and didn’t notice any change in shifting and I paid close attention to it while it was cold. I will do a VCDS scan of the TCM in the next few days and see if the in fact did change anything.

My TCM software was one of the originals that Yorktreg copies for his files and was never in the vehicle when they flashed it for the fix

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got my update done on Monday and did a scan before and after. I have yrktreg's TCM flash and the only change I see is the Shop #. Not sure what that does, but it doesn't feel any different. It still shows what gear I'm in on the dash.
Before:
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels:| 0C8-927-750.clb
Part No SW: 0C8 927 750 AK HW: 0C8 927 750 AK
Component: AL1000 AISIN 001 3398
Serial number:
Coding: 00B168
Shop #: WSC 36437 002 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 002115
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031_002.rod
VCID: 75E1E527D49A1AE7BA-8020

After:
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels:| 0C8-927-750.clb
Part No SW: 0C8 927 750 AK HW: 0C8 927 750 AK
Component: AL1000 AISIN 001 3398
Serial number:
Coding: 00B168
Shop #: WSC 04575 004 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 002115
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031_002.rod
VCID: 75E1E527D49A1AE7BA-8020

·
Registered
16 Posts
Follow up: No noticeable changes in shift patterns. Yrktreg's TCM flash still appears to be active, also gear selection still shows up in the dash display which indicates nothing has been touched.

So far, so happy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I scanned my TCM and there is a change in VCID number, not the WSC. I’ll take a screenshot and put it up here when I get a chance. Shifting doesn’t appear to have changed since I run in 4th gear at 25 mph when the engine is cold. From what I remember of the fixed transmission tuning, that would have never happened, it would have been in 3rd and running much higher rpms.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm really puzzled on the whole holding gears longer thing... my post fix shifting holds gears like a gas engine..... so shifts happen almost at 4K RPM. If you push the pedal down into kick down mode it shifts like a gas car.

Does this recall fix any of this? The car really should shift around 2900 to 3000 RPM...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm really puzzled on the whole holding gears longer thing... my post fix shifting holds gears like a gas engine..... so shifts happen almost at 4K RPM. If you push the pedal down into kick down mode it shifts like a gas car.

Does this recall fix any of this? The car really should shift around 2900 to 3000 RPM...
Sounds like you need to do a transmission relearn procedure. My fixed '`1 shifts about 2900 rpm when fully warm and casually driving. Lower than that if I'm put-putting around slowly. WOT is somewhere near 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Picked up the Touareg last night after having the 23AK performed. Dealer had the car for 2 days, coolant leak also being searched for (but not searched for very hard.....) Car was dead cold (23°F outside). It seems it had much more diesel clatter, such as it is, and also held transmission gears much longer than before, with engine RPM's staying over 2000 rpm in each gear for about 10 minutes. this was secondary roads no highway. Never got over 4th.
It settled down to what I consider normal after about 15-20 minutes. I'm not certain if there is any change in behavior from a stop/start yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am having my '16 subject to the 23AK recall tomorrow morning so I will be able to report on any changes. In casual conversation with the tech who will be working on my car, this is what was communicated: "The software update only changes the coding of the ECU not the TCU." and "There is a known hesitation on the TDI Touaregs that is required to allow it to pass the federal emissions requirements, I am unaware if this service action helps lessen the hesitation but it is worth a shot.". Seems like getting the recall done and then rolling back TCU to pre-diesel-gate coding is the way to go (that is what i am going to myself come next weekend).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the TCM tune and also a Malone stage 2 tune...would this update do anything for me, or has the Malone tune already made the changes. Mine drives like a bat out of hell, so not sure its worth the effort of going back to stock tune, getting the 23AK update, then reinstalling the Malone tune. Any advice?

·
Registered
336 Posts
No you don’t want it or you will loose your Malone tune. If they do the re-flash it will over write the Malone programming. Stay away. So how do you like the Malone tune and how long you had it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only reason why i am having mine done is the warranty. If you're out of warranty period, i would not even bother with the trip. I doubt it brings anything good if you're pretty much already way better than anybody else with stock settings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After recall and with ~120 miles added. The car feels much more snappy and acceleration seems to be better. No major changes to gas mileage, still getting about 27-28 mpg without aggressive driving. Performance wise, I am getting now handling and acceleration similar to what I was getting in S mode before, so it is a nice thing, minus rpms are maintained at lower level. S mode got also much better in terms of acceleration. Next major test tomorrow morning to see whether the acceleration lag on cold engine is gone or not.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts