Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is a TSB dated end of August which says a reprogram of the TCM or replacement of the unit recommended.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was it the tune VW did that screwed up the MPG? I'm thinking of getting this v.2 tune. I can't understand, my Touareg in city gets about 21.5 mpg and highway about 26.2 mpg. Was it the tune that lost the 25-26mpg city and 30-31mpg highway? Or is the TCM as well the culprit that caused this to happen? If anyone knows the answer. Seem the V2 tune does nothing to mitigate this issue or the 1-2500 RPM lag we all experience.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Most people haven't noticed barely any loss in MPG w/ the fix. Also, this v.2 is supposedly fixing the turbo lag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 recently had the dieselgate recall completed, just before I bought it in early Jan. I wonder if the V2 was installed in mine. Can you tell the v1 or v2 ECU version number from the VAG-com reader?

Here's mine:
Address 01: Engine (J623-CATA) Labels:. 059-907-401-V2.clb
Part No SW: 7P0 907 401 J HW: 7P0 907 401 E
Component: 3.0TDI FSA H17 0008
Revision: 56H17---
Coding: 292A4012233600050000
Shop #: WSC 02131 444 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM30TDI0117P0907401J 002007
ROD: EV_ECM30TDI0117P0907401J_002.rod
VCID: 363520C748C732F723B-8062

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the 23AK done the other day. Took about an hour. It does have a little more boost off the line. You can hear the turbo spooling up noticeably earlier as you accelerate from a stoplight, and it's slightly more sprightly to drive. Your wife will probably not notice a difference unless she's a "car girl". So far, my fuel mileage is unchanged. I have not had it "hiccup" on warmup, which is also a component of this software fix. It used to do the occasional lurch about halfway to he school with the kids. I would recommend everyone go get this one done. If your dealer is good, you'll get a free wash out of the deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After 20,000 miles I got my first service engine light come up so I called the dealer to make an appointment and I asked about v.2 tune. He asked if I had a letter from VW USA and I said I have not received one. He said then we can't do the update for you. I said why not, he said because VW reimburses us for that tune. So, no letter no tune. He said to call VW USA and request a letter then we can do it. Hopefully, the service engine light is nothing major out of pocket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't get a letter and mine goes in on Wednesday. I called to schedule an appointment for something else and they looked up the VIN and told me they had to perform the 23AK emissions service.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
829 Posts
I didn't get a letter and mine goes in on Wednesday. I called to schedule an appointment for something else and they looked up the VIN and told me they had to perform the 23AK emissions service.
I checked with VW UK and was told that 23AK is a US-only service bulletin and doesn't apply in Europe - although the earlier 23Y3 did apply across Europe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stopped by the dealer this past Saturday with my 2015 Cayenne Diesel for a car wash and free Starbucks and decided to pop into the service department to see if they had any new news on when they'd start scheduling for this update.

Service writer says, "Yep - we actually can get you in right now for it, if you're willing to wait an hour or so..." W00T. I tossed him the keys, meandered up to the showroom floor, poked around, talked to the sales manager a bit.... it's easy to blow an hour in a Porsche dealership ;)

First impressions? BIG improvement. I noticed it starts downshifting as soon as I get on the brakes. It's definitely quicker to downshift when you tip into the throttle. Overall more responsive - whereas before, you'd get that "dead pedal" sensation when rolling into it - now it does something. Still some turbo lag but at least it's doing something. From a dead stop now, it reminds me of my previous 2014 - the converter doesn't instantly lock in 1st anymore (to where you'd get get lag-lag-lag-BOOSTshift.) Seems the converter stays open in 1st, so you get revs (and actually get MOVING!) and it grabs 2nd pretty quick and THEN the converter locks. By that time with the revs and load you've built some boost. Overall power delivery is a lot smoother.

I also noticed when rolling around the neighborhood, and rolling a no-stop corner, the torque converter unlocks in 3rd and you get revs now. Before it would just lug itself along at 1000rpm.

They changed a LOT in this new calibration. I shared my feedback, and a copy of the letter, with some friends at a former employer of mine (a diesel engine manufacturer) and yeah - the wording of the letter was vague enough, for sure they changed a lot. Most like what happened - v1 of the "fix" was thrown together "to pass the test" so to speak... meaning they got it to pass emissions, fall within the 5% power/mileage impact required in the agreement, done by the deadline. Once that was out and they were off the hook, they likely had a calibration engineer or two working on it since to really put together a finished tune. That finished product is what we have with v2.

Frankly had v2 actually been v1, I bet a lot of us would have shrugged off the impacts of the fix. It's still not "pre fix" behavior but it's pretty dang close and a BIG improvement over what v1 was!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed this doesn't "burn in" and revert to the previous behavior over time. I drive ~600 miles a week so I'll be paying close attention. But initial impressions - it's a big improvement. Anybody with a "fixed" TDI - you want this update.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Awesome update man. Sounds very promising. I am still curious as to how this update will work with Joes transmission tune.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can anyone who has had this down confirm that this has not changed the TCM and shifting? I ask this because I have an unmolested TCM with “pre-fix” tuning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had my ‘14 Treg updated and I agree that the changes are subtle, but certainly noticeable during certain situations. I find pulling away from stops to be smoother, without the hesitation then surge that it often had, especially when the engine was cold. I will get some more seat time with it in the next couple of days and see if I notice anything else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have mine schedule for February 10th. They are installing the new v2 fix and doing the DEF update. I never took it in for fear of losing my TCM flash. Now I feel more comfortable with it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had my 23AK flash done a couple weeks ago. It is noticeable - a welcome improvement. I've had my Touareg for over a year - it was "fixed" when I got it...so I have no "pre-fix" experience to compare to.

Nothing appreciable noticed on mileage. I've had three fill ups since the 23AK flash (1700 miles) and averaged 27.0 MPG. In my 19,000 miles prior, I've averaged 26.6 MPG.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts