Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so I pulled the trigger and had this reflash performed. The dealer was very busy, so they held my vehicle overnight which I didn't mind.
First impressions picking up a dead cold vehicle from the dealer is that the Transmission still behaves the same way holding gears until it's warmed up. I did however immediately notice that the pedal response is no longer delayed or hesitant, but linear in it's engagement. I've never driven pre-fix, and so I've only had the post fix driving experience. One of my biggest gripes about my TDI has always been pressing the pedal and waiting 1-2 seconds for something to happen wether it be boost build, downshift etc. What they've seen to have done is instead of the lag between drivers wish and any reaction, there's now a small ramp up from the moment you press down on the accelerator to what you want to happen. I havn't driven on it long enough to see how it'll affect my mpg, I'll check that on one week after a full tank. On the highway, it's quite linear when it gets into power, not so boomy and revy. On my daily commute which has me drive up hills the transmission wouldn't downshift where it usually does. Hope this helps out anyone wondering what this new ECM update is about, simply put driveability improvements from the initial recall is what it feels like.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You guys make me question myself. I’ve never noticed a lag at all, but my other vehicle is a 1HD-T, so maybe I’ve become immune to turbo lag. :D

I’ll make a note, next time.

A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so I pulled the trigger and had this reflash performed. The dealer was very busy, so they held my vehicle overnight which I didn't mind.
First impressions picking up a dead cold vehicle from the dealer is that the Transmission still behaves the same way holding gears until it's warmed up. I did however immediately notice that the pedal response is no longer delayed or hesitant, but linear in it's engagement. I've never driven pre-fix, and so I've only had the post fix driving experience. One of my biggest gripes about my TDI has always been pressing the pedal and waiting 1-2 seconds for something to happen wether it be boost build, downshift etc. What they've seen to have done is instead of the lag between drivers wish and any reaction, there's now a small ramp up from the moment you press down on the accelerator to what you want to happen. I havn't driven on it long enough to see how it'll affect my mpg, I'll check that on one week after a full tank. On the highway, it's quite linear when it gets into power, not so boomy and revy. On my daily commute which has me drive up hills the transmission wouldn't downshift where it usually does. Hope this helps out anyone wondering what this new ECM update is about, simply put driveability improvements from the initial recall is what it feels like.
This is very promising. Please follow up after putting some miles on it to confirm the behavior you observed has stuck around. Especially in warmer weather - which is where it seems to be the worst for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FWIW this fix for the fix aka fix V2 is only for the ECU as far as I can tell.
The TCM is not flashed at all. But from what i've heard it does help with the lag that is present in the fix V1
Does your ecu flash specifically focus on lag present in fix v1 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW this fix for the fix aka fix V2 is only for the ECU as far as I can tell.
The TCM is not flashed at all. But from what i've heard it does help with the lag that is present in the fix V1
Well by far my biggest complaint with post-fix behavior is the lag - so if this update fixes it, then I should be happy. I don't care where the fix goes (ECU or TCU) so long as it's fixed. :)

If, post-V2, on a warm day, I still have a "oh sh**" moment because I'm on the pedal and nothing is happening... then a TCU reflash will be in order.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Well by far my biggest complaint with post-fix behavior is the lag - so if this update fixes it, then I should be happy. I don't care where the fix goes (ECU or TCU) so long as it's fixed. :)

If, post-V2, on a warm day, I still have a "oh sh**" moment because I'm on the pedal and nothing is happening... then a TCU reflash will be in order.
Sounds like a good plan to me :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. 2014 TDI R-line 79k miles. I had the 23AK software update done a few days ago. I was skeptical at first considering my service writer did not know what the software is supposed to do. My car was already going to the dealer for a P20E00 code. But I figured that I might as well get the update done. After a few days of driving, I can say that there is less turbo lag when accelerating. Throttle response is smoother too. I have to wait and see if there is a difference in gas mileage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We had this update done this week. I can't say that I noticed much of a difference. Car drives fine after this "fix". After driving a souless and gutless Tiguan as a loaner while they had it I was just happy to get back into the Treg. This is my wife's daily driver so I probably don't drive it enough to notice any subtle changes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting.. I haven't gotten the letter yet, can I call the dealer and inquire if I can get it done anyways?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my letter yesterday. I’ve never noticed turbo lag, but I have had 2 isolated occasions of shudder that lasted about 2 seconds each time. One thing that I have noticed post V1 fix is an occasional surge when the car is still warming up and I am stopped in traffic. Suddenly, I will get a pulse that tries to overcome my brake pedal and lurch the car forward. This only happens when warming up, but I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this. My Touareg is a 2014 and overall has been great, but I prefer the pre-fix performance.

I can only hope that the V2 flash will be an improvement over V1, and would be ecstatic if my 2014 performed anywhere near as nicely as my wife’s 2011 Touareg did after the V1 flash. The only noticeable difference we observed with her car was a little more audible growl. Please keep the info coming on observations following the new (V2) flash, for those of us who are still waiting to have it done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One thing that I have noticed post V1 fix is an occasional surge when the car is still warming up and I am stopped in traffic. Suddenly, I will get a pulse that tries to overcome my brake pedal and lurch the car forward. This only happens when warming up, but I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this.
I have this happen to my cayenne diesel and before the fix. I also have a lazy torque converter lock up also when cold. Happens when I am brake rolling at slow speeds and does not lock up when going back on the gas immediately. Has about a 2-3 sec lag and then a hard lock up and lurch the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this happen to my cayenne diesel and before the fix. I also have a lazy torque converter lock up also when cold. Happens when I am brake rolling at slow speeds and does not lock up when going back on the gas immediately. Has about a 2-3 sec lag and then a hard lock up and lurch the car.
What have you done about this, if anything? I have 2.5 years of extended b2b warranty left, so perhaps I should look into this. It doesn’t really bother me, but it does concern me that it could be more problematic down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nothing. Dealer claims no codes. I have warranty until 2023. Was going to do a transmission flush this winter but this came along so will do this fix first and then see.

·
Registered
191 Posts
One thing that I have noticed post V1 fix is an occasional surge when the car is still warming up and I am stopped in traffic. Suddenly, I will get a pulse that tries to overcome my brake pedal and lurch the car forward. This only happens when warming up, but I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this.
I notice this also whenever I park in the garage and am trying to creep up to the work bench in front of my car. I haven't really payed attention to it, but wonder if the "surge" is the car downshifting an additional gear while creeping to my parking spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I notice this also whenever I park in the garage and am trying to creep up to the work bench in front of my car. I haven't really payed attention to it, but wonder if the "surge" is the car downshifting an additional gear while creeping to my parking spot.
Thanks for chiming in on this. I get the sense that this is common enough that it could just be the personality of the car, as opposed to an issue of concern. My wife’s 2011 Touareg doesn’t have this surge trait, and I generally prefer the way hers performs. Having said that, the 2 Touaregs have very different performance manners in all respects, and I tend to like the feeling of her 2011 a bit better than my 2014. Most people wouldn’t notice the difference though, and I will admit that I’m probably nitpicking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Small update: No change in fuel efficiency after two tank fills. I'm still averaging 27mpg. I'm quite happy with this fix. I surely recommend it over the V1. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the shifting feels alot more precise with a lot more engine braking during downshifts. (y)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you for the followup on this matter

21 - 40 of 111 Posts