Club Touareg Forum banner

New Duratracs in sand *VIDEO*

16K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  DuratractreG 
#1 ·
Hello everyone new to the forum. Just got some 275 65 18 Goodyear duratracs thought i post some vids on their performance. Just so everyone knows they do rub a little I had to tuck the front fender liner in behind the bumper cover to stop them from rubbing at full turn. I also added a 1/4" spacer to clear the kingpin in the front. These tires performed fantastic in the sand and turned alot of heads. I must of heard wth is a VW doing here at least 5 times today. The ******** quickly changed their opinion when they saw what the treg was capable of. Check the vids I catch some air

#8 ·
Awesome job --- very cool to see 5400 pounds of German fury go skyward!!!!

#9 ·
Thanks. I have steel suspension but have plans for a lift so I picked up a sample of the upper strut mounting bracket
My Father (Machinist) is in the process of designing a spacer to fit the studs basically a 3"diamter tube at 2 1/2 tall with flanges on either side. Yes I do need a skid plate! The first 20 min i was driving i hit a dune way too fast and cleared the landing and hit the second dune with the lower part of my front bumber filling it with sand and cracking my lower grill. Its a shame we didnt get it on video the guys down below said Touareg was six feet in the air they had never seen anything like it haha. These rigs are tough.

#19 ·
This is awesome. Love to see fellow Tregs out playing with the Jeeps.

Sure those tires howl pretty good going down the H/W though right?

Also, unlike Wanoka down south of me that's all really loose deep dune sand, that sand appeared to have a fairly solid base under it [for sand] or is that an illusion? Was wondering how standard ATRs would do out there?

I mean would you go out there with 255/55/19 Pirelli ATRs?

Great video, thanks for sharing.

#20 ·
The duratracs are pretty quiet and are a good mix between an aggressive M/T and A/T. If by "solid base under it" you mean wet sand then yes. The top layer is dry but about 6 inches down is moist sand. An aggressive tread pattern doesnt matter much in the sand just air down a bit and you should do fine with stock tires.

#24 ·
These are some of my all-time fav. Treg vids. Thanks for bringing 'em back! :cool:

#25 ·
Man that looks like serious fun!!!

Your landing looks very nice, excellent absorption, rebound and control. Much better than the dude that posted up a V10 jump from his back yard, with a very nose heavy landing. Makes me now wonder if the steel sprung suspension is the way to go for this type of activity.

More please!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.