Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been a member of this forum for quite a while and have saved some serious $$$ with advise you offer in these threads. Now, I could use some more of your help! I have been driving my '08 Touareg V6 with my CEL on for almost a year reporting the common "catalytic converter efficiency below threshold" error. I tried putting a quart of acetone in half a tank of gas, running it on the highway, and reseting the CEL but no luck. Unfortunately here in NC we are required to have our vehicles inspected or they will not renew our license plate registration. Because it will not pass inspection with a CEL on I was recently left with no other option but to pay to have my mechanic replace the catalytic converter.

Now, a little background on my mechanic. The shop is a family owned establishment with 2 generations of racers joined by a team of mechanics. I would trust these guys with my life, however they do not specialize in foreign cars. Due to their lack of experience with European vehicles, bringing my T-Rex to them for this repair may have been my downfall.

They had originally quoted me $1,200 total for the job, but $2,000 later ($800 for aftermarket cat and $1,200 labor) the job is complete. The first thing I noticed when I got in the car was that when accelerating I could hear and feel a lot more rumbling. I took it home thinking that maybe it was just because I was used to driving the other car for a few days. The next morning we had a cold front come through so the temperature was in the 30's; I went out to start the car and it was idling so rough that the dash lights were flickering and the car stalled out. At that point I took it straight back to the dealership to have them address the issue. They called me later that afternoon and told me that there was a hose that had come loose and everything has been fixed now. When I got there to pick up the car I noticed that it was still more rumbling coming from underneath the cabin. I pointed it out to the owner and he said that he would keep it and keep working with it.

This brings us to now, they called me this afternoon and told me that they tightened a few more things that may have been causing the noise; one being a bracket. I just picked up the car and I'm still hearing a rumbling from under the cabin when accelerating. My mechanic told me to drive it over the weekend and if it's still giving me an issue Monday, bring it back in.

Before I had this done my car ran fine and I had dead quite exhaust system. Is this an issue due to buying an aftermarket part that's always going to be noisy? Or is there something that can be done to get my T-Rex back to how it was. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is the rumbling really exhaust related?

If not, I wonder if someone has been giving your car the beans, as we say, and the centre bearing on the drive shaft is in the process of failing.

Can you feel any vibration through the centre armrest between the front seats?

If so, then it is probably that bearing.

It is a common fault that typically appears after about 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, though some bearings go earlier, some later, and some seem to last forever!

It is very easy to check - do a search on line for pictures of Touareg centre bearings

and

Also look for - and read - the very many threads about it on here. This is just one of them:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/center-propshaft-carrier-bearing-21876.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the rumbling really exhaust related?

If not, I wonder if someone has been giving your car the beans, as we say, and the centre bearing on the drive shaft is in the process of failing.

Can you feel any vibration through the centre armrest between the front seats?

If so, then it is probably that bearing.

It is a common fault that typically appears after about 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, though some bearings go earlier, some later, and some seem to last forever!

It is very easy to check - do a search on line for pictures of Touareg centre bearings

and

Also look for - and read - the very many threads about it on here. This is just one of them:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/center-propshaft-carrier-bearing-21876.html
Thanks for the feedback, I will take a look when I get it back from the shop. The CEL came back on over the weekend, so I took it straight back Monday.

I spent some more time with it over the weekend and it seems to sound the most different around 2,000 rpm. I'm not sure if that helps shed any light on the issue.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Gut says flex pipe or they forgot to put a component (like gasket) between two components upon re-assembly. Based on dealer having looked at it and found nothing, I am leaning toward a gasket or joint part not fitting proper or being forgotten. Or not aligned and is making contact with body/other component.

One thing is for sure, they should make it right if it is their negligence.

Re: Center Main Bearing. If it makes the rumble revving gently in park than it is not Center Main Bearing. If it does it only driving it could be the CMB (most likely upon acceleration).

Replacing the cat can make a vehicle louder. For example a high flow cat allows more exhaust (and thus noise) through. A worn out or plugged cat will generally allow less flow (and noise) than a new OEM or compatible cat (replacement part would be louder).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts