Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. Put a deposit down on a 2013 V8tdi R-line on Thursday morning and I would like to ask some specific questions. I already own an R36 so I am a customed to the VW world.
1. This car has a Hayman Reece towbar installed along with a red arc tow pro brake controller. Exactly what I was after but the question I have is how do you know if the VW tow module has been installed?
2. Has anyone installed an Anderson plug. We will be towing a van so I need to get one installed. Is it easier as the battery must be in the back somewhere rather than in the engine bay.
3. Recommendations on a roof racks. Was thinking something like the whispbars but I see that there seems to be cheaper versions out there. Can you put a roof rack/test on these types of bars?
4. Now, with regards to wheels, I know these have 21 inch wheels which is not ideal if I want to do some light off roading. Recommendations on smaller rims and tyres? I was thinking 20's?
5. Doing the ring around regarding window tint. I live in Brisbane so does anyone have any recommendations?
6. Anyone want to highlight their favourite feature of their Treg? 7. Got some reading of the manual ahead of me when we get it. Really need to lock down in my mind about the air suspension. Is that a diff lock button next to the off-road/onroad dial?
8. Any aftermarket additions/ideas that anyone can recommend. Not sure how I feel about the spare wheel situation if I'm honest but I'll see how I go.

Thanks everyone and I'm sorry for the long winded post as my first. Looking forward to learning more about these rigs.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
The battery is under the front passenger seat.

Get 18 inch wheels -deeper tyre walls and a far better and cheaper choice of tyres.

And get a full sized IDENTICAL spare wheel and tyre or be limited to 80 kph as per the spacesaver to avoid transmission wind up and possible damage to the gearbox.

Tyre strings for punctures are great and can get you going again in minutes without even taking the wheel off.

There are next to zero aftermarket bits for Touaregs.

Dragline1750, an Oz member on here, makes sump guards.

If i recall aright the VW module sounds the car alarm if the caravan''s electrics plug is removed whilst the car is locked.

· Registered
156 Posts
Snerio
To check if you have the genuine module as opposed to the HR one, when you plug in the trailer, the screen in the middle of the dials will show a trailer symbol briefly and the Sid assist in the mirrors will be deactivated
You need to manually reactivate by pressing the end of the indicator stalk and clicking on it

fred K

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate. I've got to work out how to use all these features so I have some reading but I will put your post to the test when I get the car. Thanks alot.

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Chris. Hadn't heard that one before. How do you go putting a full size rim and tyre in the wheel well. Have you done it?

· Registered
57 Posts
Hi Snerlo,

The full size spare wont fit in the wheel well. I have made up a bracket to carry a full size (which I still need to obtain) on my roof rack. When I manage to find a spare 18" rim I'll post some pics of the setup.

BTW how's the weather is Brissie?

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries. Thanks mate. I am considering getting some roof racks (probably whispbars or similar) and then possibly a tray/rack which I might then be able to carry a spare on when we travel with the van. Gotta think about that a little more. Also considering getting a second set of of smaller rims with some more offroad sort of treads so that we can do some soft off roading, but again, a little up in the air at the moment.
Weather up here is great today. We were in Kenilworth over the weekend so we dodged alot of the bad weather that was rolling in from the west but we still got some rain and a couple of rumbles.
So, do you hear from many people in the Brisbane region?

· Registered
177 Posts
Hi Snerlo

Happy new Touareg.

I put 20" Audi Q7 wheels on my R50 with Cooper Zeon ATZ tyres, specifically for towing, same problem as you, 21" wheels / tyres are unobtanium in country areas if you happen to break a rim or blow a tyre. When i'm towing the boat, I throw the spare wheel on the back of the boat, and have made up a spare wheel carrier for when I take it away without the boat.
I think from memory, that because of the speed rating on the original tyres, the replacements had to be at minimum rated to 180kmh, even on a 4 wheel drive. Cooper Zeons are rated to this speed.
i'm not sure if that has changed in the last couple of years.
will pay to check with your insurance company. I have some info on this somewhere, will look it up and post it when I get home.

Attachments

· Registered
548 Posts
So, do you hear from many people in the Brisbane region?
Yep there are a lot of Forum Members i the Brisbane area.
I bought a spare 17" rim and tyre from a Treg owner on the Gold Coast who had "updated" to 20" rims?? Cost $100.00.

When required on long trips, I carry the full spare in the boot standing up on the drivers side.

I plan to put a bracket on the boat trailer in the near future so I can carry the spare there.

One thing I like on my 2008 Treg is the opening glass window in the boot (rear lid as VW call it). I believe it is missing on the newer Tregs.

Welcome to the Forum.

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Snerlo

Happy new Touareg.

I put 20" Audi Q7 wheels on my R50 with Cooper Zeon ATZ tyres, specifically for towing, same problem as you, 21" wheels / tyres are unobtanium in country areas if you happen to break a rim or blow a tyre. When i'm towing the boat, I throw the spare wheel on the back of the boat, and have made up a spare wheel carrier for when I take it away without the boat.
I think from memory, that because of the speed rating on the original tyres, the replacements had to be at minimum rated to 180kmh, even on a 4 wheel drive. Cooper Zeons are rated to this speed.
will pay to check with your insurance company. I have some info on this somewhere, will look it up and post it when I get home.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it. That's a good idea actually. I like it. Nice rig. Would have liked an R50 to compliment my R36 but some had too many kays and some that had lower kays wanted to much money when I could get a V8 for cheaper. Anyhow, them's the breaks!! Will be keeping an eye on secondhand rims and tyres around the traps but the 21's on the new rig have pretty much brand new tyres so I might be doing swaps for a while until they decide to wear down to un legal status and I can put 20's on full time.

· Registered
57 Posts
Hi Snerlo

Happy new Touareg.

I also have the Cooper Zeon LTZ tyres on 20" rims. I have sourced an 18" rim (finally) for my trip off the bitumen in 2 weeks time. I'm really in 2 minds about rim sizes. I bought the Treg in order to tow my van as its the best tow vehicle around, highly underestimeated IMHO.
I would like to be able to do some moderate off road travel and Im concerned about the lack of side wall. Should I go to 18" rims, would that affect the stability when towing? I would be grateful for any advice from you learned gentlemen.

Also Snerlo, I grew up in Brisbane and my parents and brother still live there. Dont get up often enough.

· Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good. I would love to know some more details about your roof rack if you don't mind sharing. Particularly sizing and brand as well as how it is attached. Thanks alot.

· Registered
177 Posts
Thanks mate. Appreciate it. That's a good idea actually. I like it. Nice rig. Would have liked an R50 to compliment my R36 but some had too many kays and some that had lower kays wanted to much money when I could get a V8 for cheaper. Anyhow, them's the breaks!! Will be keeping an eye on secondhand rims and tyres around the traps but the 21's on the new rig have pretty much brand new tyres so I might be doing swaps for a while until they decide to wear down to un legal status and I can put 20's on full time.

Good choice on the V8.

found this on tyres.

Australian Vehicle Standards rules state that a 4WD manufactured with off-road features must have a tyre speed rating of N (140km/h) or greater. The speed rating of the tyres fitted to a passenger vehicle is at least 180 km/h (S) when the tyre placard requires a higher speed rating than S..

as the Touareg is an "MC" rated vehicles ( at least up to Oct 2016) then the N rating is applied.

in my case, the R50 has big disks, so there is not a lot of room between the caliper and the rim, so i am happy with the 20's.
I'm also thinking that if I cant get there on 20's I probably shouldn't be going there in any case...

· Registered
177 Posts
Hi IBrad,

I don't suppose there are any drawings for that wheel carrier...

Am looking at getting something similar made up.
vk2ahy

I do have Cad drawings for this. I drew them up to make sure the thing would work before I built it. I wanted to keep the wheel tight to the back of the vehicle to reduce the rotational moment of inertia. ( the wheel and bracket weigh about 42kg)

the drawings are very specific to my towbar, which is a 2" (not 50mm) HR 3.5t.(I'm not sure where you are based, yours may be imperial or metric)

this made everything a bit more difficult as 2" SHS is not available in Australia. leastways, i couldnt find any.

the distance the receiver extends out past the bumper bar is important as well.

There are a few flaws with the MK1 version that i will address in the Mk11 version.

i originally mounted the wheel high enough to not set off the rev. sensors.
For some reason it sets off one side, not the other, even though it is centred..
I cannot open the glass hatch with the wheel in place, but then again, i rarely open it in any case. This can be fixed relatively easily.

I was going to plug the numberplate light into the trailer plug, but have had second thoughts on this, and have now wired it into the tail lights on the vehicle ( seperate M12 socket). mainly because the trailer plug changes the stability control, which can have unpredictable consequences if the vehicle gets loose on a dirt road at speed, with no trailer attached.

If you want to PM the exact dimensions of your trailer hitch receiver, I can modify the drawings accordingly.

cheers

Ian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.