Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally, and it was time, today my beloved Touareg got her 3rd set of discs, pads and wear sensors at 140 500kms (about 88K miles).

I went with Hella Pagid for everything and looks very pretty. The guy who did the job for me is a highly experienced ex-VW guy now working for himself and he reckons it looks every bit as good as the OEM parts. All-in-all it worked out to a good bit less than half of dealer price for parts only.

Now for some pavement rash on one mag, two TPMS sensors and fitting the new tyres sitting in my garage, hopefully all in one go.

When that is done the paintwork and cosmetics all-round can get some love.

Six months and just over 10K kms/6K miles into owning her and still nothing but smiles.

·
Registered
09 TDi
774 Posts
Nothing like new brakes to encourage one to use the throttle more :)

Pagid is the OEM and thats what Im using. The other upgrade that really made a big difference was SS brake lines. Enjoy !

Reactions: antonroland

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing like new brakes to encourage one to use the throttle more :)

Pagid is the OEM and thats what Im using. The other upgrade that really made a big difference was SS brake lines. Enjoy !
Cheers Jeff!

I never really needed much encouragement to use the throttle to begin with!😉😂.

SS brake lines? I’m interested to know more but that will be far down the list of priorities for now…what difference does it make?

·
Registered
09 TDi
774 Posts
it was the lack of initial bite that got my attention. It just seemed to take 10-20% more effort than my gut felt it should. I got a set of 4 Goodridge lines for which I paid about US$130 and it did exactly what I was hoping it would do.

keep in mind I've never had any interest in a brake line upgrades but with the TDi I could almost "see" the old brake lines expanding and soaking up that tiny bit of hydraulic pressure. If you look at the inner diameter of the hoses it's not hard to imagine how little line flex it takes to impact brake feel.

In this case my instincts were correct as the SS lines really transformed the feel and the actual bite. As nice as new brakes are the lines are another step up.

the install was also a breeze as i removed the reservoir lid and laid a piece of cellophane over the mouth then put the lid back. This prevented fluid from draining so I swapped the rear 2 lines, topped up the reservoir and used bleeder to clear the 2 calipers. Rinse and repeat for the front and the entire process from start to finish was about an hour.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,473 Posts
I went with the Goodridge S/S braided brake lines on my '11 when I had the complete brakes done like a year ago. I can confirm that it made a major difference in how much faster the brakes bite. Still has that feeling this much time later. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was the lack of initial bite that got my attention. It just seemed to take 10-20% more effort than my gut felt it should. I got a set of 4 Goodridge lines for which I paid about US$130 and it did exactly what I was hoping it would do.

keep in mind I've never had any interest in a brake line upgrades but with the TDi I could almost "see" the old brake lines expanding and soaking up that tiny bit of hydraulic pressure. If you look at the inner diameter of the hoses it's not hard to imagine how little line flex it takes to impact brake feel.

In this case my instincts were correct as the SS lines really transformed the feel and the actual bite. As nice as new brakes are the lines are another step up.

the install was also a breeze as i removed the reservoir lid and laid a piece of cellophane over the mouth then put the lid back. This prevented fluid from draining so I swapped the rear 2 lines, topped up the reservoir and used bleeder to clear the 2 calipers. Rinse and repeat for the front and the entire process from start to finish was about an hour.
I never had brake issues as far as I know but then I also don’t have any experience of driving anything more exotic. What I thought was amazing braking could well be improved upon even though I didn’t know better. Interesting adventure to explore then…

I also simply assumed that the inherent design of the Touareg would leave little room / need for improvement but what you said that bit about tubes expanding and lost pressure it made all the sense in the world the moment I read it…

Oh well, another adventure once ALL the basics are covered and the most urgent cosmetics are done.

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the Goodridge S/S braided brake lines on my '11 when I had the complete brakes done like a year ago. I can confirm that it made a major difference in how much faster the brakes bite. Still has that feeling this much time later. I highly recommend them.
Cheers @New2Tregs!

As also said in another response in this thread, My Land Rover was my daily driver along with a little Polo so whatever I experienced getting into the Touareg the first time I thought was as good as it gets.

Clearly anything and everything can be improved upon it would seem…

Seriously though, I must wonder if I really NEED to…

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,473 Posts
Cheers @New2Tregs!

As also said in another response in this thread, My Land Rover was my daily driver along with a little Polo so whatever I experienced getting into the Touareg the first time I thought was as good as it gets.

Clearly anything and everything can be improved upon it would seem…

Seriously though, I must wonder if I really NEED to…
No one really NEEDS to, but to get a more responsive brake pedal by way of quicker brake bite... then you may WANT to.

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No one really NEEDS to, but to get a more responsive brake pedal by way of quicker brake bite... then you may WANT to.
I hear you😉

Will probably give it a go but only once I have splashed out on the paint protection and cosmetics. I mean it is not a frightfully expensive mod but for even more safety for my wife driving her daily I reckon that would be money well spent…

Cheers!

·
Registered
09 TDi
774 Posts
We can mostly agree that some manufacturers do a decent job of designing and building their cars, but I would NEVER assume they do it solely based on the best engineering guidance. Think of Ford deciding that it would be cheaper to deal with law suits than to fix the Pinto fuel tank.

Mfgs make compromises across the board and sometimes even the engineers drop the ball.they build to the bell curve and to stay in business so there are always things you can or even should do with most any vehicle. I like the tighter handling of my upgraded Touareg suspension but I suspect many buyers would find it "not comfortable" enough.

the stock brakes are decent, the upgraded ones ar better IMHO. Will that ever be the difference between an accident or not...possible but unlikely....but I feel better with the improved brakes and def enjoy driving her more. Your vehicle your wallet :)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Not sure where this post goes...

We have been on a long trip with our 2016 VR6 Exec towing a 25' Airstream. A few comments:

1. Treg pulled very well in any condition. Temp stays nailed at 200F - even up and down in 95F heat.

2. I had to replace the O2 sensor and brake pads. The dealer said they do wear faster in heat and of course, dragging a trailer. Pricey, but I had to use a VW dealer.

3. I had the factory hitch strengthen at CanAm RV in Ontario, CA. Just peace of mind. That dealer really knows how to tow. They have performed over 100 mods on Touaregs. CanAm thinks the Treg is one of the best tow vehicles on the road - much better than a PU.
4. Check Engine light kept coming on, and going off, and coming on. Dealers could not figure out what is causing it, the same error codes keep coming up, but not the problem - termostat, sensors, spark plugs, etc. For what ever reason, after the brakes were serviced, the light went off. Have no idea why, but everything is good.

E

·
Registered
09 TDi
774 Posts
EddieB would you mind sharing exactly what they did to the hitch and what did they charge ?
TIA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts