Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced all 4 shocks and springs.
Took a bit of time but it was great to use my new mid rise Bendpack scissor lift. I should have bought it sooner. Soooo much easier when suspension is at chest height!
Added some wheel spacers and lowered springs.
goes round corners much better!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
What version of the Bilstein did you go with?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, should have mentioned more details.
Went with the B6’s. The yellow colour wasn’t bad so i left it the same colour. H&R lowered springs by 20mm, 18mm hub centric spacers front, 23mm hub centric spacers at the rear. No clearance issues with the 275R45-20 tyres and original rims.
4 upper rear bolts on the shock mounts were almost seized. Took a bit of persuasion to remove them.
Original shocks had a little bit of nitrogen recharge but not as much as the Bilstein. I had a good look at the original shock bodies to see if I could trace the part numbers and see who made them, but nothing concrete came up except for the VW 7P6 part number.

Doesn’t seem too harsh on the bumps. Handles much better, the faster you go. Tight, not jarring, no over stiffness when going over a diagonal series of bumps, rail tracks. Suspension seems to follow the contours with out skittering or shuddering, mid corner. Would like to try it on the track to check the roll, off throttle, on throttle braking, slip angle, etc... but its almost winter here and there is snow that is now staying on the ground. Last night was -5 deg C.
These shocks were replaced at 250,000 km’s. Should have been done much sooner.
The only reason why the springs were replaced is because one of the rear spring had broken in 2 places on passenger side. purchasing 4 H&R springs was half the price of 1 set of springs from VW! Coil wire diameter is slightly thinner from the original (front: 15.3mm, rear: 14.1mm) and H&R (front 14.7mm, rear: 13.3mm). rear coils are also progressive rate.
I might add that I really like my new scissor lift. It made the job almost enjoyable working standing up, not lying down and fighting with bolts. etc... Using a portable-power hydraulic jack underneath when jacking the suspension up when finally tightening the mountings also helped a lot.

I’ll get some pics together

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Very cool I'm glad you like them. The b6 combined with the h&R should be an excellent handling setup, not too terribly behind the KW

·
Registered
224 Posts
ive had the B6 aka Bilstein Sports on a couple of my BMWs (w H&Rs) and couldn't stand how bone jarring they were so I swapped for Konis. My T2 has the original Sachs units which are very much a "comfy" ride and work as intended but w 100k I may be due for a change. Since Konis are NLA for the Touareg it's encouraging to read positive reviews for the B6 here.

im guessing that 5000lbs is enough to "tame" the BS into a pleasant enough ride with improved cornering.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The b6 is NOT the sport in the Touareg lineup. The sport is a b4 variation.

The b6 is really made for vehicles that have been lowered

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually B4 is the stock replacement shock aka Touring and B6 IS for lowered vehicles Aka Sport. Call to what you want but this comes from a sit down at Bilsteins east coast facility with one of their techs...but what does he know :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Wrong. I HAVE confirmed in the Bilstein catalog.
There is the oe b4 shocks and the sport b4 shocks.

I know what I'm talking about. Have fun

·
Registered
224 Posts
The word "sport" doesn't even appear on that page. You have the 1 version of black B4s (Touring) and the yellow B6 Performance aka Sport. No where does it show a B4 Sport but it does call it an OE Replacevent which is verbatim what I wrote.

not sure why we are even having this unproductive back and forth.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Omfg you're killing me

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also here

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
We are having this conversation because you are wrong and I don't want misinformation being spread about on a car that is extremely niche when there is already an extremely difficult time finding accurate information to begin with

All three of the shocks we are discussing in this thread are valved completely differently, have completely different part numbers, and are for completely different purposes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually B4 is the stock replacement shock aka Touring and B6 IS for lowered vehicles Aka Sport. Call to what you want but this comes from a sit down at Bilsteins east coast facility with one of their techs...but what does he know :)
what I posted is exactly what's in the pages you show ...B4 is stock replacement....and my use of the word Sport was in the context of BMW so i see no difference between what you're saying and what Im saying.

you seem to enjoy conflict...I've seen it multiple times. Personally I find is to be a waste of time and energy.

enjoy the rest of your day and try to lower your blood pressure.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You're an idiot. Bilstein themselves say that you're wrong.

But the gist of it is, these aren't bmw's, and there are two versions of the b4 - stock and sport.

The end.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Neither does misinformation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For starters my statement that the B4 is an "OE replacement" is supported 100% by what you posted as well as by a search so that's not false. If you search "Bilstein Touring":100% of what you find are the black B4s. Yes they make a B4 for a "sport suspension" but no one references that as a "sport shock" except you.

if you search for Bilstein Sport, you'll find 100% of the results to be yellow, with the B6 being a firmer "performance shock" for stock height vehicles (aka Bilstein HD) and the B8 which is the performance version with a shorter piston for lowered cars ( most commonly call Sports).

My comments may have been incomplete since I didn't address the B4 for sport suspension but nothing I said was "misinformation". Frankly I don't see anything you posted as being false either. We simply have different experiences and perspectives.

Notwithstanding, nothing justifies you making this personal and being offensive.

Beyond all this, this is a place for people to share, learn and even disagree but it needs to not be disagreeable. Youve challenged me (and others) before and often wind up with your tail between your legs. That's ok cause I had an uncle who used to fart at the table and we still loved him.

The takeaways are a) if you are going to confront someone you best have your ducks in a row b) don't be an ass about it and c) if you decide to engage in a battle of wits don't come unarmed.

Peace out

1 - 20 of 49 Posts