Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HKOffroad Kratos Jeep tire carrier is what I want for my Touareg. Has anyone here seen this before?
I'm about to buy it and modify it for my 2016 facelifted lux.
I wish there was something like this from Eurowise or Forge. I want an integrated tire carrier on the hatch.

I had and idea of using the two license plate bolt holes and the rear wiper bolt hole as the 3 mounting points for a carrier without drilling more holes. Do yall think it's possible?

Check this out anyway...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depends on your use case - we stay off-grid (no water or elect service) for extended stays.
Like having a lower CG than the Kratos - and not having to drill holes in our cars body. With our Wilco Hitchgate, also like being able to see out the rear window when its clean, ability to carry two 5 gallon Scepter cans of water, trash-a-roo, and other gear as needed. This set-up has worked for us over many years. And yes on occasion we have towed a trailer with it, like on our last multi week trip to Moab. Photo from the WABDR trail traveling from the Oregon border off-road up to Canada.

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
493 Posts
That’s what I am doing. My BIL is a welder and I have designed a custom hitch attachment to swing down for access. I think he put me on the back burner but I will post pictures once the setup is here and installed. I designed it to still be able to see the license plate and use the rear camera.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s what I am doing. My BIL is a welder and I have designed a custom hitch attachment to swing down for access. I think he put me on the back burner but I will post pictures once the setup is here and installed. I designed it to still be able to see the license plate and use the rear camera.
Interested to see that. I would use a swing down hitch carrier IF it can hold the tire very close to the rear hatch.

I don't like the tire being straight up and down with a big gap between the tire and hatch.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I designed mine to take the same angle as the back glass. It should be tucked pretty close to the rear glass without being right on top of it. I wanted to keep it tucked as close to the vehicle as I could. For aerodynamics as well as center of gravity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found this. I sent an email to them for more info.

This appears to mount to the body hitch mounts left and right behind the bumper cover. And then the bottom brackets bring it up. This is the type of strength I'm looking for as opposed to hitch mounted system.

Has anyone else ever seen another spare carrier that mounts to the body mounts?
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
47 Posts
This was my home made effort... utilises the two recovery points and a third point just above the recovery point on the right to attach it firmly to the car. I tucked it in as tight as I dare, whilst allowing the rear glass hatch to still open past it.

I can take some closer photos if anyone likes it and wants to emulate it. All elements of the design are borrowed from other ones that I had seen online and in person.

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts