1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on it..Porsche always shows more power than the equivalent VW (despite the engines being identical). the 240hp version isn't the one we get anyways, we get a smaller turbo version pumping out 220hp...so lets see what the official Porsche announcement comes out looking like.

Also the 0.2L/100km fuel economy translates to around 0.7 USMPG, not 5 USMPG..not very significant? You'd likely see the same increase via an aftermarket tune (that's approx what I saw on my V10 after a tune...)

That said the Cayenne has suddenly become very attractive to me now that its offered with a diesel!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sending this from my phone so I can't search for the article, but early in the 2011 model year there was confusion exactly what engine came to US, CATA or the new one that went into Euro Audis. Two chains or not, after reading it I'm not sure I would want it. Everything seemed to be done to eek out one more percentage of a MPG and little concern for

·
Registered
367 Posts
Link to article about new Euro Audi 3.0 TDI.

The attached Audi press release mentioned a "very complex" cooling system with separate water jackets for the block and heads and reduced spring tension rings for lower friction to increase mpg. I don't like the idea of reduced spring tension on diesel rings at all; maybe if they had a longevity reason, but not just to eek out a percentage of a mpg. I think I like what I have better.

Audi Q7 SUV, equipped with new 3.0-liter V6 TDI, returns 32.7 mpg — Autoblog Green

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New Diesel

In response to the post by Nickm I quote yesterdays article in "Autobloggreen"

"The German automaker announced that the diesel-powered Cayenne has received a minor overhaul and now features a cleaner-burning diesel engine that's both more powerful and fuel efficient than before. Output has been bumped up by five ponies to 245 horsepower and Porsche claims the oil-burning SUV consumes only 7.2 liters of diesel fuel per 100 kilometers. That's 39.2 imperial miles per gallon (32.7 mpg U.S.). The added horsepower improves acceleration slightly, with the 0-62 miles per hour dash coming in at 7.6"

This article can be found at:

Porsche Cayenne Diesel improves to 32.7 mpg — Autoblog Green

·
Registered
62 Posts
That doesn't mean it gets 32.7 mpg(US) on the EPA test. This probably the Euro test. Also do they say whether the 7.2L/100km is Hwy, City or Mixed?

On the Euro test and Canada's, the current 2011 V6 TDI Touareg gets 7.0 L/100 Hwy (according to VW's UK and Canadian websites anyway).

EDIT: OK, I see that is probably the combined mpg. VW UK reports for the Toureg 7.6 L/100km combined. So yes, a definite improvement.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Why oh why wouldn't the V8 TDI be in that bad boy?

Glad I am not in marketing.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The article specifically states that the improvement in fuel economy is 0.2L/100km, so whatever test method they are using is irrelevant...overall gain is 0.2L/100km which is 0.7 USMPG.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That doesn't mean it gets 32.7 mpg(US) on the EPA test. This probably the Euro test. Also do they say whether the 7.2L/100km is Hwy, City or Mixed?

On the Euro test and Canada's, the current 2011 V6 TDI Touareg gets 7.0 L/100 Hwy (according to VW's UK and Canadian websites anyway).

EDIT: OK, I see that is probably the combined mpg. VW UK reports for the Toureg 7.6 L/100km combined. So yes, a definite improvement.

actually on the euro test the current v6 tdi in euro is 6.5 hwy and the 7.0 hwy is cdn. 7.4 was the combined previous, 7.2 is the combined current.

·
Registered
62 Posts
7.4 was the combined previous, 7.2 is the combined current.
So that's the .2L diff I guess.

But 7.4L/100km combined Euro is for the 204PS engine, according to the UK web site. They also have a 240PS version with 7.6L/100km combined euro (and a V8TDI). And my Canadian brochure says we have a 225hp (SAE) version. WTF?

PS=pferdestarke=hp(metric,SAE?)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So that's the .2L diff I guess.

But 7.4L/100km combined Euro is for the 204PS engine, according to the UK web site. They also have a 240PS version with 7.6L/100km combined euro (and a V8TDI). And my Canadian brochure says we have a 225hp (SAE) version. WTF?

PS=pferdestarke=hp(metric,SAE?)
ya this is common the engine is tuned slightly different for n/a vs euro, nothing a chip couldn't accomplish.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
240 vs 225 is a different turbo that they put on there for north america...we get less turbo lag, broader spread of power down low, and less top end...makes sense for our lower speed limits and endless urban sprawl.

VAG has also started differentiating engines via different software tunes, low end versions get less power output than premium versions of the same engine...take a look at the Audi lineup and you'll see this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
240 vs 225 is a different turbo that they put on there for north america...we get less turbo lag, broader spread of power down low, and less top end.... makes sense for our lower speed limits and endless urban sprawl.

VAG has also started differentiating engines via different software tunes, low end versions get less power output than premium versions of the same engine...take a look at the Audi lineup and you'll see this.
Ahhhh. Thanks all. Very interesting.

I'm also curious about the chain business (having de-chained my Passat BHW). SamTrooper said it's dropped from 4 to 2 on this new engine. Is there a picture or description avail online? My guess is they geared up the oilpump/balance shaft chain, and main camshaft chain, leaving the two final camshaft chains, one on each cyl bank.

In the Passat TDI the switch of the oilpump/balance shaft chain to gears was almost certainly because of reliability concerns: the tensioner breaking. (The BHW camshaft uses a timing belt like the other I4 TDIs.) Wonder if the same problem is happening in Europe with the early chained V6's? Or if it's just part of their weight-reduction strategy? Are chains heavier than gears? Obviously they could have geared up the whole thing like the V10, but for some reason just decided to go half way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weight

Perhaps the more significant improvement of the 2012 Cayenne sister SUV is the 400 Lb weight loss to 4586 Lbs that adds greatly to the improved mileage. That is a trickle down that I would be most impressed with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts