Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the stop sale order on all new TDIs, I am curious to know what VW plans to do with the remaining 2015 Touareg TDIs. These vehicles are essentially one year old vehicles, but are brand new from a mileage standpoint. I currently have a 2014 TDI Lux, but contemplating switching to a 2015 if there are outrageous deals once the stop order is lifted.

Does anyone have an information from dealer contacts on how they plan to offload these?

·
Registered
103 Posts
^Here in Alberta, the VW sales team I've been dealing with are in the dark on this; I asked them this exact question a couple weeks ago while test driving Touareg diesels, and their best answer is 'unsure, maybe there will be deep discounts'.

TDI diesels, new and used, were just green-lit to resume sales here in the last 6 weeks. I guess there has been a small backlog of traded-in Touaregs building up in the lots of Vdub dealership all across this part of Canada.

So, in short: don't know. I'm going to follow this thread in the hopes that someone can provide us with factual updates.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I doubt any dealer will have anything to say until there's an official announcement from VW and the EPA on the 3.0 TDI engine. Worst case, if they're deemed unroadworthy and unfixable, they may end up all going back to VW for crushing or resale elsewhere. If there's major repairs to do, VW will need to start negotiations with dealers around compensation for the effort needed plus the money they'll need to discount buyers for a sorta-new but screwed-with vehicle. They'll probably also need to offer an extended warranty free of charge for nervous buyers and VW will need to setup a process for that.

In short, lots of stuff to figure out before we have any idea, and likely none of it will even start to take shape for a couple of months yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
^yes, this. Much ambiguity that needs to dispelled by VW.

Because of these unknowns around possible extended warranties and such, I'm hesitant to trade in our Tiguan for a used TDI. Wifey and I have wanted a diesel for years, and we were hoping that these emission scandals would have driven the prices down and the incentives up. But perhaps more waiting is in order...

·
Registered
293 Posts
TDI diesels, new and used, were just green-lit to resume sales here in the last 6 weeks.
Are you sure this is true? I don't see any diesel engines listed on VW Canada's web site (I only looked at the Build and Price for a Touareg). It really doesn't make sense either given the "fix" for the diesels hasn't been implanted yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They have always been allowed to sell used tdi's, except they can't be certified.

I suspect there will be some great deals on the new 2015's and 16's once the stop sale is lifted.

I paid 60K + gst for a '15 exec r-line in January with 180km on the clock. Window sticker was $72,xxx.

I can only imagine you guys will do better than that.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I talked to a fiend of mine that works at a dealership and he said there simply aren't a ton of TDI's sitting idle. Most dealerships have some Jetta TDI inventory, but there aren't many Touareg TDI's sitting anywhere, because of the timing and lower sales volume.

He also told me that most of their Jettas are spoken for (they have something in the range of 40 or so). They can't legally be sold, but most of them have deposits on them and will leave as soon as the stop sale is lifted.

I don't know that there are going to be many screaming TDI deals out there, and an even lower chance on the Touareg. I could be wrong..... I just don't see it in North America though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They have always been allowed to sell used tdi's, except they can't be certified.

I suspect there will be some great deals on the new 2015's and 16's once the stop sale is lifted.

I paid 60K + gst for a '15 exec r-line in January with 180km on the clock. Window sticker was $72,xxx.

I can only imagine you guys will do better than that.
Wow! How did you manage 60K + gst for a new Execline R-line in Calgary? By "January", do you mean January 2015 or 2016? Can you share your buying experience? PM?

Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! How did you manage 60K + gst for a new Execline R-line in Calgary? By "January", do you mean January 2015 or 2016? Can you share your buying experience? PM?

Thank you!
Jan 2016. Bought it in Winnipeg as there were none in Calgary for Sale. I bought it right after the stop sale with very little haggling at all. Perhaps buying post stop sale had something to do with it?

They even paid for my flight and hotel "after" the deal was already agreed upon. Very odd.

It was listed right on their site for the same price as this one:

2015 Volkswagen Touareg Execline TDI w/ R Line Package AWD Sport Utility - Auto Haus Volkswagen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jan 2016. Bought it in Winnipeg as there were none in Calgary for Sale. I bought it right after the stop sale with very little haggling at all. Perhaps buying post stop sale had something to do with it?

They even paid for my flight and hotel "after" the deal was already agreed upon. Very odd.

It was listed right on their site for the same price as this one:

2015 Volkswagen Touareg Execline TDI w/ R Line Package AWD Sport Utility - Auto Haus Volkswagen
Nice! Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like you got a great deal. It's funny how often the advertised price is so outrageous, but the car is just seating there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow guys, I'm very surprised that the stop sale has been lifted, or at least is not being enforced by VW Canada. I wonder what penalties will be placed on the dealer or VW Canada by Transport Canada for selling vehicles that don't meet emission standards. In any event, I doubt anyone buying would be fined... consumers can't be expected to know such details.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
This VW dealer in Toronto Canada is selling new 2015 and 2016 Touareg TDI's
New Volkswagen Cars for Sale in Toronto | Humberview Volkswagen
But if you try to build it on any dealer site the TDI option is no where to be seen.
You know for certain that they're actually selling TDIs? My dealer still has TDIs on their website but they can't sell them.

http://www.sheppardvw.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&saveFacetState=true&year=&model=Touareg

They are not actually for sale. The same 3 TDIs have been on that page for months. Like since the stop sale started on the 3.0L.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They probably leave them listed to still generate calls from people who have no idea about the situation (which is likely lots of the general public). The conversation is probably something along the lines of "I can't sell you that one right now but I have a lovely V6 gasser....".

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just called them and despite advertising new TDI Touareg's they won't sell them and she tried to push me towards a demo. They had no idea when the ban would be lifted. And worse, the sales lady was eating while talking and I kept asking her to repeat herself as I couldn't understand what she was saying.... unbelieveable

1 - 20 of 20 Posts