Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1200 miles on my new VR6 Lux and when I start it in the morning it runs a little rough (for about 30 seconds).

Have you found this to be normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add ours to the list. Does not always do it. Probably 2-3 times a week. Had a fuel injector fail about 600 miles ago, thought that could have been it, but no, same rough start symptoms.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It seems to depend on temperature. Mine V6 2011 was acting the same in winter time but it has not been happening much during summer. Left my car at workshop 3 days letting them to check, VW claimed that this is normal because of being V6.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sounds like a dodgy air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Sounds like a dodgy air temperature sensor.
Thx

If so, should there be a fault code? It's a 3 months old car, so quick this is happening n VW workshop could not tell...

·
Registered
758 Posts
It's the secondary air pump / injection that VW uses to accelerate the heating of the cats. There's nothing wrong with your car / engine - it's perfectly normal. It's all an effort to cut down on emissions. If you think the VR6 sounds loud / funky, you should hear a 1.8T engine (from the Passat) when it's cold and the pump is running....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check my post history....i started a thread about something similar to this. Are you referring to feeling the engine shake when you start the car in the morning?

·
NYFAIM - What's it mean?
525 Posts
I recently began experience this same rough start problem with my 2009 Treg 2 3.6L.

On cold (overnight) start, engine starts rough with slight misfire/backfire in the intake manifold. Heavy blue-white smoke accompanies the rough cold start. Exhaust smells very rich with fuel.

The development of this problem is somewhat concerning to me given the intake manifold explosions documented on this forum.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f62/2008-volkswagen-touareg-intake-manifold-explosion-engine-failure-22901.html

I am familiar with the air pump injection process at cold start that accelerates cat heating. However, the problem that I am experiencing is definitely fuel related given the presence of heavy blue-white smoke and rich smelling exhaust.

No faults in the VAG.

Nooby suggested dodgey OAT sensor. Shouldn't a failing/under voltage OAT through a fault?

Other thoughts?

Moto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here , just came back from my dealer after 10000 mile inspection , left car overnight to have them check it out....but they told me they did not hear it and can not fix something when the "computer" tells them there is nothing wrong going monitor the "problem" and keep sending them my videos and see what solution they will come up with....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been having similar issues (rough idle at cold start, a couple of pops during the first 10~15 seconds) on my '09 V6, and have been mainly following / contributing to this other thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/high-and-rough-idle-2008-vr6-now-popping-62662.html

I've had it to the dealer several times, they have been able to reproduce it twice but say they "cannot fix it until it sets a code". The techline claims they've not heard of others doing it... Right.

I've been experimenting with gas grades.... mixing 89 and 93, running straight 93 only, buying from a particlar Shell that has no label that it 'contains up to 10%ethanol' (...going on the belief that if it's in there. they must label it as such...). So far nothing related to the gas has eliminated it.

Cold temps (< 40°F at cold start) minimizes it...

I have noticed that if you turn the key on but do not start it right away (wait 5-10 sec), the stumbling / popping is also minimized... like something is initializing and then it does not happen. This was one of the reasons the dealer could never duplicate it originally -- they were connecting the scan tool, turing the key on, waiting to get data... and then starting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
Pancho
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing