Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bight a 2010 V6. I really love it. it is really fun to drive. Of course gas milage is low. I got 13 in city. But highway is actually not bad, about 21.

A question. My touareg came without a screw that adjusts belt tension. The mechanism is at right side in front of the engine. Without it the tension is set at maximum. I am wondering if this is normal? I am going to talk to the dealer soon. Meanwhile if anybody has any idea please le me know.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
There is no tensioner with a screw, just a spring loaded tensioner pulley that keeps a constant tension on the belt at all times. There has been nothing but these type of pulleys for years on vehicals. You don't manually tighten the belt at all, no need.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Of course gas milage is low. I got 13 in city.
Of course? WHy?

I have 25,000 miles on my V10 with an overall average of 20.8 MPG. Just last weekend I got 19 while towing a 1300 pound trailer with an 1800 pound vintage racecar aboard. That was driving at an indicated 63 on the freeway and a about 50% Bay Area Traffic.

It is not a given that your fuel economy has to suffer with a V-10.

johnt

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
Of course? WHy?

I have 25,000 miles on my V10 with an overall average of 20.8 MPG. Just last weekend I got 19 while towing a 1300 pound trailer with an 1800 pound vintage racecar aboard. That was driving at an indicated 63 on the freeway and a about 50% Bay Area Traffic.

It is not a given that your fuel economy has to suffer with a V-10.

johnt
The OP has a 2010 V6, so not sure what you are trying to tell him with the V10 comments. :confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Still, 13's pretty low for around town. My 08 V6 gets around 17 in town. Could be technique (heavy foot, etc.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My bad. In my eagerness to make a point I swapped years and engine. I saw 2006 V10. Old age? Advanced dyslexia? Perhaps both.

I did wonder about the belt remarks ..... but of course not enough to reread and avoid making a fool of myself.

johnt

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
My bad. In my eagerness to make a point I swapped years and engine. I saw 2006 V10. Old age? Advanced dyslexia? Perhaps both.

I did wonder about the belt remarks ..... but of course not enough to reread and avoid making a fool of myself.

johnt
All good, was just confusing is all. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
V10 is certainly great. I looked for a used one but they are pretty rare. It was my dream car 5 years ago, and sadly it still is.

I debated between the V6 gas and v6 TDI, and finally decided to get the old stock 10' V6 gas. It is supposed to be more versatile when going off-road or towing, and the money I saved can buy me many gallons' of gas, if the gas price does not change much in the coming years. I paid $33750 for one with basic configuration, plus tax and fees. The 11' V6 TDI is $10k more at least.

13 mpg is what I get driving with frequent red lights. For my daily commutes it is about 5 miles local and 10 miles express way -- still some traffic light but if lucky not many stops. Under this circumstances I get 15-16 mpg.

Overall I'm very happy with the Touareg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts