Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys -

I just picked up a "New" 04 Touareg with less than 100K on it. Runs great and I have already learned a lot from your wonderful contributions. This little guy has pristine leather, ALL accessories still in their original place (except the fire extinguisher), all the electronics working great and runs like a dream. Two inspections say it looks great with the exception of a possible wiper fluid leak.

I have these known issues that I will be working on and am excited to learn about:
  • Reprogramming key fob and setting up a replacement set (luckily I have one key that works!!)
  • Deleting the TPMS module - VAG com is already on it's way (Some shop must have had a special on 3 tires b/c I have 3 of the same and one different tire. Guess which one is missing the sensor!!! :mad::mad: )
  • Reattaching the headliner fabric in the rear of the vehicle
  • Replacing the right steering wheel buttons (volume works but the MFD control does not)
  • Last on the list - I accidentally pulled the sun shade out of it's holder....OOPS! So, add that item to the bill.
Had my first stealership chuckle at $450 to key a replacement key set. I'd rather buy the damn machine, myself and start a business than THAT.

I'm pretty excited to learn some new things. I've always done my own minor repairs and my own brake service. Hopefully as I learn more, I can be of help too. Thanks and good luck to all.

- Tai

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya. I never run umatched tires. That's a big no-no in my book for ANY vehicle.

I already spanked myself with the DIY nightmares on the keys. Luckily I have a friend who works for VW. He is going to help me out with the VW fobs and keys. I also found a locksmith to copy to a new blade for an emergency lock out key.

Thanks for the info about resetting the gear box. I will read up. Thanks!!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the European model - was purchased by a military officer in Germany. Have all of the service records (in German :LOL:). I am keeping my fingers crossed for timing chain longevity. Thus far - I get a little less than that average 14-17. I don't know about the side covers - but it looks like a super secret machine when I pop the bonnet up. You would almost think there weren't any moving parts. hahaha.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same engine and year. Those covers were removed later on I guess because of heat retention. I’ll have to dig that info from where I read it. Lots of learning material waiting for you get the key done properly and don’t try the vcds way as you need a prepped transponder chip before programming the new key. Don’t buy used keys as they can’t be reprogrammed. Do it at a local locksmith with the proper machine to clone the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dealer friend is getting me a set of keys from VW. Still $110 but worth it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.