Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys -

I just picked up a "New" 04 Touareg with less than 100K on it. Runs great and I have already learned a lot from your wonderful contributions. This little guy has pristine leather, ALL accessories still in their original place (except the fire extinguisher), all the electronics working great and runs like a dream. Two inspections say it looks great with the exception of a possible wiper fluid leak.

I have these known issues that I will be working on and am excited to learn about:
  • Reprogramming key fob and setting up a replacement set (luckily I have one key that works!!)
  • Deleting the TPMS module - VAG com is already on it's way (Some shop must have had a special on 3 tires b/c I have 3 of the same and one different tire. Guess which one is missing the sensor!!! :mad::mad: )
  • Reattaching the headliner fabric in the rear of the vehicle
  • Replacing the right steering wheel buttons (volume works but the MFD control does not)
  • Last on the list - I accidentally pulled the sun shade out of it's holder....OOPS! So, add that item to the bill.
Had my first stealership chuckle at $450 to key a replacement key set. I'd rather buy the damn machine, myself and start a business than THAT.

I'm pretty excited to learn some new things. I've always done my own minor repairs and my own brake service. Hopefully as I learn more, I can be of help too. Thanks and good luck to all.

- Tai

· Registered
3,697 Posts
Which engine?

You need to replace the odd tire to match the otger 3. Touaregs must run on 4 identical tires

Buy the new key ASAP - you can do a complex DIY that has risks but one of the software bits is not available - so find another dealer as it should be about 250-300$ (and if you lose the only key you have you will in a real world of pain where those 300 bucks will seem like chicken feed).

Read this thread to get up to speed and then take 10 seconds to reset the gearbox as well.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya. I never run umatched tires. That's a big no-no in my book for ANY vehicle.

I already spanked myself with the DIY nightmares on the keys. Luckily I have a friend who works for VW. He is going to help me out with the VW fobs and keys. I also found a locksmith to copy to a new blade for an emergency lock out key.

Thanks for the info about resetting the gear box. I will read up. Thanks!!

· Registered
3,697 Posts
It's not a bad engine but prone to timing chain issues and the chain is awkwardly placed at the rear of the engine.

Thr old 3.2 can be rowed along quite well using Tiptronic but expect 10-12 mpg around town, 20-22 on freeways and 16-18 average - and those numbers are out of the larger UK gallon which costs us about the same per 1 litre as you pay per gallon!

At least you have 5 sun visors but I'm not sure if you got the nice engine bay side and front covers that you should see when you lift the bonnet, sorry, hood!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the European model - was purchased by a military officer in Germany. Have all of the service records (in German :LOL:). I am keeping my fingers crossed for timing chain longevity. Thus far - I get a little less than that average 14-17. I don't know about the side covers - but it looks like a super secret machine when I pop the bonnet up. You would almost think there weren't any moving parts. hahaha.

· Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
It's the European model - was purchased by a military officer in Germany. Have all of the service records (in German :LOL:). I am keeping my fingers crossed for timing chain longevity. Thus far - I get a little less than that average 14-17. I don't know about the side covers - but it looks like a super secret machine when I pop the bonnet up. You would almost think there weren't any moving parts. hahaha.
I get get 6-8 in my V8

· Registered
3,344 Posts
I have the same engine and year. Those covers were removed later on I guess because of heat retention. I’ll have to dig that info from where I read it. Lots of learning material waiting for you get the key done properly and don’t try the vcds way as you need a prepped transponder chip before programming the new key. Don’t buy used keys as they can’t be reprogrammed. Do it at a local locksmith with the proper machine to clone the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same engine and year. Those covers were removed later on I guess because of heat retention. I’ll have to dig that info from where I read it. Lots of learning material waiting for you get the key done properly and don’t try the vcds way as you need a prepped transponder chip before programming the new key. Don’t buy used keys as they can’t be reprogrammed. Do it at a local locksmith with the proper machine to clone the key.

Dealer friend is getting me a set of keys from VW. Still $110 but worth it!!

· Registered
09 TDi
1,014 Posts
My 09 TDi came with a sagging headliner...actually held up by a couple 100 pins...and a roll of fabric. The fabric is cheap and the dealer had a quote of $300 to install it but his guy was busy so I took it as is (got a $500 discount off my purchase price) and my guy did it for $225. You can diy this but it's a pita to re & re, a number of brittle plastic bits that can/will break and scraping the old foam off the headliner alone is reason enough to farm this job out.

· Registered
3,344 Posts
Definitely find a shop who can do it and get some spare clips and plastic parts that the guy is going to bust. I will try this myself some day. For the moment I held it with some pins on aliexpress.

US $6.27 27% Off | Car Roof Headliner Repair Kit Roof Snap Pins Retainer Car Roof Buckles Car Interior Ceiling Fixing Screw Roof Snap Retainer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.