Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
4,379 Posts
Barring a VCDS fault scan (hint, hint, buy one!), I'd check battery voltage of each at rest before starting or charging. Front battery at the hood terminals. Rear battery at the rear battery. I say this due to your comments of "The battery gauge won't go up much past 10 and usually she's at 14. " So I'm guessing that you are looking at the dash gauge as a sole indicator. In fact, that gauge will not tell you the state of both batteries, and it even lies a bit, saying 14 volts when it's closer 13-ish. So if battery voltage is in question check them both by hand.

Other than that I would echo water in fuel concerns. Power Service, or just get the vehicle in a garage or both. It's also possible that the glow plugs are not functioning properly, but that would likely leave you with check engine light or other fault in the MFI. Again, a VCDS cable would help you understand this without needing to get to a dealer, which sounds like it's pretty far off.

Good luck!

EDIT - Glad to see you were able to get it running. Get out there an drive it before it has a chance to gel up and circulate the Power Service through the system. Also consider topping off with fresh CONFIRMED winterized fuel.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
A few ideas:
-I'd use power service additive through winter if I were you. Its possible the fuel you're buying isn't able to prevent gel up during the cold temps.
-On the V10, you can turn the key clockwise to use the starter battery (rear) and anti-clockwise to use the under seat battery to start. This is handy if one of the two is dead for some reason.
-Plan on much more agressive than recommended fuel filter changes. On my V10 I'd change them up every other oil change.

Reactions: LuckyChances

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sunday Update

Happily she started up again, still took her a little bit, but she started up and we went for a good long hour drive this morning. :clapclap:

A few questions to help make my life and that of the Treg's life a bit easier:

How often do y'all get the oil changed?
I drive long miles, not a lot of start/stop business. Have to drive 20 mi one way to work.
= Currently I've been following the Manual of every 10k mi. and changing out the Fuel Filters every 20k mi so yes, every other oil change for the filters.
From the time I got her home I have used Liqui Moly SAE 5W-40 and the best/premium filter I can buy at NAPA.

THANK YOU for suggesting Power Service. I used their Diesel 911 (orange bottle) and she finally started up yesterday. I have also researched their website and plan on getting their regular fuel Supplement (white bottle) just to be on the safe side.

If any of you have any other tips and tricks, please let me know and as always = THANK YOU for all your help!

~Tricia

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I was much more agressive with oil/filter changes on my V10. Its appetite for camshafts was my primary motivator. I'd do 5K mile oil changes and 10K mile fuel filter changes. Maybe wasteful, but then again an expensive engine and a pair of expensive turbos are only protected by a thin layer of oil.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.