Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen (and ladies!)
A few weeks ago I posted a 911 because I was stranded in Denver - the front left airbag went out and y'all wonderful people came to my rescue with info. Many thanks!

I am now stranded again (at home this time haha) as my Happy Wagon is ticked off again. ~Well it's been -27 or so here in Southern Colorado.

On New Year's Day my battery died. I was able to get a new one from Napa with 900 CCA and got it installed with the help of a friend and a DIY thread on here. (Again Many Thanks for the info!) After the install I was able to get back to Denver to catch the flight for my 2 daughters to get to school in Seattle.

Now here I am and POOF, she won't start up. My Dad even came by and we tried to jump it and still, no go.

Any suggestions? Ideas?
(I give her oil changes as per the book & use LiquiMoli for my oil) She seems like she wants to get going, but just can't quite make...it...there... :(

Thanks in advance to all you awesome people!!
~Tricia

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just a thought here, the V10 has 2 batteries, one under the seat and one under the temp spare in the rear. Are you sure the battery that was not replaced is not bad as well?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dear; nope didn't change that one in the back = So, under the spare tire in the back end? Any idea what size that one is? that one under the seat is HUGE!

The battery under the seat seems good, she started up (the easiest I've ever had) and we were on our way. She then sat for 3 days while I was in CA; upon returning to Denver she started right up again and has been fine until this morning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We are out but I will check my last receipt and let you know if nobody else chimes in

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, sounds like a plan! ~ My Dad took the Manual home with him, but he wasn't able to find any info on the battery type. I'll look out there tomorrow morning if it's not freezing =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The battery in the back (under spare) is the one used for cranking the engine ( V10 tdi ) the battery under the seat does everything else. you can start the car using the main battery (under seat) if the starting battery is flat, I cant speak for all of then, but with the keyless start ones, its as simple as using the key in the ignition slot, car should automatically switch to good battery and crank/start ( I actually had to do this only a couple of weeks ago, very handy to know) if you don't have keyless start, I don't know exactly the procedure, but it can still be done, maybe check in the Manuel if you have it. might be worth trying

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here are the specs for the Diehard I installed when away from home. Figured it was the best possible chance for a warranty back home.
Product Specifications Dimensions:

• Item Weight (lbs.):
  • Length (in.):
  • Group Size:
  • Height (in.):
Power Ratings:

• Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F):
  • Reserve Capacity (RC):
Design & Construction:

• Container Material:
    Polypropylene (PP)
  • Overall Type:
    Deep-cycle
  • Temperate Zone:
    All climates
  • Terminal Post Location:
  • Battery Grade:
    DieHard Gold
  • Maintenance:
    Maintenance Free
  • Positive Terminal Side:
    Right
  • Battery Design:
    Absorbed Glass Mat
Warranties & Coverage:

• Free Replacement Warranty Term:
    36 months
In the future if you have a low battery condition you can turn the key to the left for a few seconds and that will engage a relay that ties both batteries together temporarily, giving you the best chance of getting cranked.

Check out a thread titled Compilation Of Posted "Touareg Secrets"
if you have not already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an Update:
Finally got the battery in today - not in stock; ordered thru Napa and they had to ship it from Denver.
I plan on putting it in on Saturday because I'm off work.

It matches up with the Specs that were posted, however upon looking at the old battery (the one from under the seat) the new one that I am placing in the Back - it is rather on the short end concerning the width.

Hopefully it should work okay I'd think?

Couple of questions for y'all:
1. Do I need any special tools to do this install? (The one located under the seat needed a specific wrench etc.)

2. Once I get it installed is there anything 'extra' that I need to do? - I plan on going for a bit of a drive once she starts up since the Happy Wagon has been sitting out in the cold since Monday.

3. And heaven's forbid but what if she doesn't start? my VW has started in -25 below F - so I'm a little worried because she's been sitting out there all week long.

Thanks for the help!! :)

~Tricia

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
Just an Update:
Finally got the battery in today - not in stock; ordered thru Napa and they had to ship it from Denver.
I plan on putting it in on Saturday because I'm off work.

It matches up with the Specs that were posted, however upon looking at the old battery (the one from under the seat) the new one that I am placing in the Back - it is rather on the short end concerning the width.

Hopefully it should work okay I'd think?

Couple of questions for y'all:
1. Do I need any special tools to do this install? (The one located under the seat needed a specific wrench etc.)

2. Once I get it installed is there anything 'extra' that I need to do? - I plan on going for a bit of a drive once she starts up since the Happy Wagon has been sitting out in the cold since Monday.

3. And heaven's forbid but what if she doesn't start? my VW has started in -25 below F - so I'm a little worried because she's been sitting out there all week long.

Thanks for the help!! :)

~Tricia
I sent you a PM! :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Back in the day when these things first hit the US --- there were a large number of battery drain/dead issues that happened and the problem was tracked down to the mail ground cable in the rear of the vehicle. I'd start checking that - although I'm not sure where it is on the V10.

Reactions: LuckyChances

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Many folks do not realize that it is the rear battery that starts the car. Important not just for the cranking but also for glow-plugs. At -27 you need glow-plugs!
I have always bought batteries from the dealer simply to avoid fitting problems. You don't need any extra issues when it's cold and the batteries are so heavy.

Also, Bentley gives dire warnings about connecting batteries in the proper order on the early V10, something about damaging the battery relay IIRC. (I know, it's a hassle to remove seat bolts and trim.) But to be safe I would disconnect the front battery before connecting the rear battery, then reconnect front last. You will probably generate some faults on the instrument cluster which should go away after driving a few feet.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello Gentlemen (and ladies!)
A few weeks ago I posted a 911 because I was stranded in Denver - the front left airbag went out and y'all wonderful people came to my rescue with info. Many thanks!
So, did you and your daughters have a fun adventure?

·
Registered
198 Posts
On both the 2006 and 2007 there has never been an issue with the order the batteries were connected or disconnected. There are many opinions on sources for batteries and OEM batteries are generally much more expensive and no one has been able to show any advantage. This is the case with most German cars. My front battery is from Auto Zone, it is the best they have and it is the proper spec. Here's hoping the Happy Wagon fires right up!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
OP does have a 2004.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gentlemen:
2 new batteries & $450+ later.. SHE WILL STILL NOT START!
Let me know if you've any other ideas, or if I'm missing something? Throwing out some ideas here, because I'm rather .. Lost!!
Do I - need to get her to a heated garage to 'thaw out' ??
Do I - need to try a jump start?
Do I - need to need to set up a trickle charger? (IDK both batteries are new now)
Do I - need to get some sort of a space heater and put it under the car to warm it up? OR
Do I - need to give it a swift kick in the tires, jump on the hood and scream at it until all the neighbors come out and think I'm crazy? (hey, I'm trying to have a sense of humor here hahaha) :)

INFO:
1st Battery Install under the seat completed on 3-January-2016 = after this she started right up & off we went! (I was NOT aware at this time it had a 2nd battery, sorry!)

2nd Battery Install in the rear end completed today 16-January-2016 at 11am Mountain time. Weather is currently 22 degrees F and 'warmer' than it has been here in Southern Colorado.

Upon trying to start she sounds like she wants to turn over, but just.... won't. = I did turn the key to the Left to try syncing the 2 batteries & then tried to start it, and nope.

The battery gauge won't go up much past 10 and usually she's at 14.
None of the battery cables (seat or back end) were corroded at all. I mean these look quite new.
The Glow Plugs were replaced in October/November 2014. (all 10 of them)

My father (who was a mechanic +30 yrs. for the Rural Electric Co & took care of all those Big Diesel Trucks) suggested adding ether ?? to the gas tank to get it going. =I've no clue on this, let alone where I'd even get ether at?

AS ALWAYS... your help is SOOO appreciated!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Living in Southern CA it just occurred to me that many in cold climates add a fuel supplement specific to diesel fuel such as Power Service in the white container. Not sure how cold it needs to be to effect the fuel.
I understand it cranks but will not start?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Make sure that both batteries are fully charged and then also check not just the connections at the batteries but also the location of the grounds. Check the wiring at the starter. And don't use ether.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
When was the fuel filter last changed? Maybe clogged/water in housing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No ether!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FINALLY.. she started.
Pulled the beauty cover off the top and engine was frosty. Put a magnetic heater on the top for a bit.. maybe 20 min or so, then used a power jump box on the terminals inside the engine compartment. Gave her some gas here and there and finally, finally... she started up.

THAT... was a sound that I have truly missed! Wow!

I did get some of the Power Service additive and treated what was left in the tank. Will see what she does in the morning. ~I plan in also starting her up again and going for a drive before I go to bed this evening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts