Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. my 2013 V6 touareg inexplicably stopped responding to the key fob today evening, although I had driven the car in the morning. I realized that my battery may have died, as my car is still running the original battery. Its really strange because I had always thought that it would give me some sort of warning before dying off on me.

So, I proceeded to remove the plastic key from the fob and tried unlocking through the hidden key slot in the driver's door. Now, everytime I turned the key clockwise, I heard a click in the doors and the the indicators flashed for a second. However, the door doesn't unlock regardless of whether I turn the key right or left. I am clueless as to what I should next.

All the car maintenance workshops in my city are closed due to the lock down. I really to get in my car as my IDs are in it, and I need them to move around in the present scenario. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank u guys so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to turn the key with considerable force to overcome the initial resistance
It was turning comfortably till 3'0 clock and that is when the a faint clicking sound would come from the doors, and the indicators would flash as well. I tried using more force and turning it till 6'0 clock, unfortunately, the key just snapped. I have an another key but it is still stuck in the fob. I am trying to get it out by using some oil.. anymore more ideas on how I should try to unlock again?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
This just happened recently to another forum member. Back at the trailer connector, you need to see which pin is "hot all the time" and then put a 12v source to that pin. It should give the vehicle enough power to sense the FOB and unlock the doors. To find the "hot all of the time" pin, you can either find a schematic or you can use a voltmeter to find the pin that has voltage. You your battery is very low, voltage you find may be only 3-4v but it may help you to locate the pin.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
This is a PSA. Everyone with the later models needs to wire up a method to charge the battery while the Touareg is locked. That means without opening the doors and with the hood locked down.

If you have the tow hitch installed, you can back feed thru the always alive +12V feed. You don't have to fully charge the battery. Remember, you are not trying to start the engine. You just need to get the car battery alive enough that the door electronics can work. Then you can open the door. After that you can open the hood, and connect to the battery jumper posts in the engine bay.

If you don't have the factory hitch, fix up something now. The stupid doors on the stupid T3 will not stupid open when the stupid battery goes stupid dead. I find this situation "not smart" ;)

For example, I have a CTek battery charger. Most battery chargers will sell you a wiring harness so that you can charge the battery with the hood closed and doors locked. This is mainly used for people in cold weather environments, but should have been factory installed on the T3. You leave the end somewhere you can get to it with the car locked. Then when you find the day of the dead battery has come, you hook up to this plug for about ten minutes. Presto, you can now unlock the doors.

amazon.com/CTEK-56-382-Comfort-Indicator-Batteries/dp/B002MT8S7E

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I used WD-40 lubricant oil to try and remove the key which was stuck in the fob. This then gave me the idea to use the oil to unlock the car itself. So, I sprayed some into the key groove while inserting the key and voila it popped open. Basically it needed to be turned till the 8' o clock position to unlock and I was only managing till 9'o clock originally.

Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to reply. Finally, I want to ask if there is a recommended battery brand for touaregs? Or can somebody point me to the relevant thread?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys.. my 2013 V6 touareg inexplicably stopped responding to the key fob today evening, although I had driven the car in the morning. I realized that my battery may have died, as my car is still running the original battery. Its really strange because I had always thought that it would give me some sort of warning before dying off on me.

So, I proceeded to remove the plastic key from the fob and tried unlocking through the hidden key slot in the driver's door. Now, everytime I turned the key clockwise, I heard a click in the doors and the the indicators flashed for a second. However, the door doesn't unlock regardless of whether I turn the key right or left. I am clueless as to what I should next.

All the car maintenance workshops in my city are closed due to the lock down. I really to get in my car as my IDs are in it, and I need them to move around in the present scenario. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank u guys so much.
This has happened to me a couple times for different reasons. Quick solution and things to keep in mind(from me to you), contact a locksmith if need be. Secondly, if you leave your vehicle parked days at a time, make you don't leave a phone charger or anything plugged in, and definitely make your battery is good in your fob. Man this way one of most helpless feelings for me! Nothing opens when the battery dies on these things! Hope you get everything squared away!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
PSA #2.

How often do you use the mechanical key to open your Touareg door? That's right. Almost never.

Well, do you know what happens to door locks that are not used. They get sticky, then they get stuck. Then you try to use the emergency key in an emergency, and you are now stuck.

Touareg Friends, don't let this happen to you. Buy a can of lock lube, lock ease, key lock lube. Whatever it is named, you need it. The versions that dry out are better, since any oil residue left behind will eventually result in a sticky dirt buildup inside the lock.

Now, just twice is year is enough. Once in the spring and once in the fall. Or once in summer and once in winter. Take your pick. I find that July 4th and Christmas are two easy to remember times.

So, twice a year, lubricate your Touareg door key so that you don't get stuck.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
So I used WD-40 lubricant oil to try and remove the key which was stuck in the fob. This then gave me the idea to use the oil to unlock the car itself. So, I sprayed some into the key groove while inserting the key and voila it popped open. Basically it needed to be turned till the 8' o clock position to unlock and I was only managing till 9'o clock originally.

Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to reply. Finally, I want to ask if there is a recommended battery brand for touaregs? Or can somebody point me to the relevant thread?
Automotive Batteries are only built by a couple of companies anymore.

The quality of the battery is directly tied to the warranty. I can source batteries that have a warranty in months anymore. Those are pure crap. 1 year warranty is now standard. 3 year used to be common, but are hard to find anymore.

If you want a quality battery, You can buy based on the highest warranty. It will give you a better result than buying on the highest price.

As far as key locks...

I have used dry graphite. I have used lock ease. Both are messy, but work well.

Currently my go to is 3-in-1 lock dry lube. Works well and doesn't make or leave a mess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PSA #2.

How often do you use the mechanical key to open your Touareg door? That's right. Almost never.

Well, do you know what happens to door locks that are not used. They get sticky, then they get stuck. Then you try to use the emergency key in an emergency, and you are now stuck.

Touareg Friends, don't let this happen to you. Buy a can of lock lube, lock ease, key lock lube. Whatever it is named, you need it. The versions that dry out are better, since any oil residue left behind will eventually result in a sticky dirt buildup inside the lock.

Now, just twice is year is enough. Once in the spring and once in the fall. Or once in summer and once in winter. Take your pick. I find that July 4th and Christmas are two easy to remember times.

So, twice a year, lubricate your Touareg door key so that you don't get stuck.

I wish I had run into this post earlier, it would have saved me from a considerable amount of distress.

For the sake of completeness, I am just going to let everyone know which battery I got. The Volkswagen dealership refused to sell me a battery and asked for ~450$ to replace it, if I brought the car to them. I thought it was exhorbitant and decided to replace it myself. The original battery in my car was a Varta 80mh. I went looking for Varta batteries, but I couldn't find an equivalent made in Germany one.. the closest I found was a made in Spain 88mh for ~120$, although he only gave me a 6 months which I felt was a little fishy. Anyway, I don't think it's going to last as long the original one did. I hope it gives me two years at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 V6 TDI Sport
105 Posts
I wish I had run into this post earlier, it would have saved me from a considerable amount of distress.

For the sake of completeness, I am just going to let everyone know which battery I got. The Volkswagen dealership refused to sell me a battery and asked for ~450$ to replace it, if I brought the car to them. I thought it was exhorbitant and decided to replace it myself. The original battery in my car was a Varta 80mh. I went looking for Varta batteries, but I couldn't find an equivalent made in Germany one.. the closest I found was a made in Spain 88mh for ~120$, although he only gave me a 6 months which I felt was a little fishy. Anyway, I don't think it's going to last as long the original one did. I hope it gives me two years at least.
Varta is good and it should last you about 4 years, although the capacity is a little on the lower side, my battery has 105Ah.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts