Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, my car grab's and sort of thumps when reaching 4th gear. This is on flat or incline.

VW local wants $4K parts and $3K in labor to replace 2 turbo control units.

Question: Any comments on why this happens. Is it a common occurance around 90K miles on a truck used to shop groceries.

Assuming I can afford the $, is this a good investment at 90k miles.

Thanks for any feedback. Countertrey :wink2:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Get another diagnosis/bid.
From your description it sounds like the issue is in the transmission, and NOT in the turbos or their control units.
If it is the turbo control units a VCDS scan should show a malfunction there. Make the dealer show you a print out of that scan and THEN get another dealer to verify the same thing.
The price quoted is a LOT of money to replace something that has no bearing on the problem.
BTW - if the V10 is only used for 'grocery shopping' take it out once in a while, find a long hill and drive it up that hill - HARD! That car needs to WORK once in a while.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Long shot.

Reset the gearbox.

Turn the ignition but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off an remove the key.

The car will now learn how you drive it.

And, yes, for goodness sake, take it out and give it a damned good thrashing. A V10 is NOT a bluddy grocery store car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Transmission thumping from 3-4 (or 4-3) is transmission valve body. It has nothing to do with your turbos.

I did the valve body in our V8 gasser using the thread here in this forum. Under $700 for perfect shifting.

And...
If it's turbo control units you don't need to take the engine out to get to them. I just did a round trip with both controllers and wrote it up in my thread on the Ross-Tech (aka VCDS) forum titled 07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

I chronicle everything with this car in that thread. The controllers coming out is in the last few pages.

·
Registered
372 Posts
x2 what aftCG said, valve bodies can have some rough shifting conditions mine is occasionally clunky on 6-5 downshift. These transmissions are rock solid, they are made by AISIN in Japan, don't be fooled.
Maybe a trans oil service could cure this small hiccup? Cheaper than swapping turbos at random and I won't take any advice from any dealer on a V10.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.