Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I put 80 litres of petrol in the tank and drove 1 km before realising. The dealer is saying they must remove the fuel tank as there is no drain hole. I can only see info about draining tank using various pump options. Is it necessary to remove the tank or do most use one of the different pump options.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would pull the tank. Also, make sure you use fuel conditioners going forward to lubricate the system and extend its remaining life. Hopefully you caught it in time and not much damage has occurred.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The dealer wants to remove the tank, because it's the only way to get all of the fuel out.

You can pump it out from the top, but you're not going to get 100% of the fuel. There may be some liters left, which would probably be okay when diluted with a full tank of diesel, but I wouldn't expect a dealer to warranty doing it that way.

Now that you've taken it to a dealer instead of an independent, you may have problems with future warranty on the rest of the fuel system (e.g., high pressure fuel pumps) and maybe the entire engine (It's got low compression because you ran gasoline in it. But it was only 1 km! I repeat, you ran gasoline in it, etc.).

Has the dealer put it in the system yet? If not, I'd strongly consider taking it to an independent and keeping the repair "off the VW books."

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you realize? After the strange engine work? Did not he have the engine damaged?

Pump out how much you can for example by connecting the fuel pumps in the tank with cables to the battery. (I'm guessing that diesel 2016 year has electric pumps in the tank).
Pour 10l of diesel and pump out again.
Fill the tank full of diesel.

A small amount of gasoline in diesel will not damage the engine.
Some even add gasoline to diesel in the winter in my country. For example, when they still have summer fuel in the tank, tractors, combine harvesters or when the frost comes suddenly.
I think (maybe incorrectly) that in Australia, passenger cars are almost always gasoline so such errors happen rarely.
In my place it's 50 to 50 so it happens often.
I know several such cases personally, authorized dealers rinse but never dismantle tanks.

Another matter, as Xcentric wrote, is a guarantee :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never ever suggest putting any gas at any time in a Tdi tank.

The explosive failure of the High Pressure Fuel Pump can cost up to $16,000 to fix.

Let the dealer take the tank out and do the job properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts