Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to remove these connectors which are the left and right side antennas going into the J506 control unit over the rear headlining in my T2.

It's not the normal fakra which has a small tab to depress to remove, I cant see how it comes out (assuming it does), possibly it's the inner cable that comes out and not the connector, I don't want to brake it after spending a couple of hours dismantling the rear trim to get to it.

The issue I am having is that my retrofitted RNS510 is not receiving a signal from the right hand side antenna (greenish connector), this connector comes from the (R93) amplifier aerial and only receives the FM signal, the head unit always shows that antenna 2 is always OFF, normally ANT1 and ANT 2 would be ON.
So far I've eliminated any issue with the RNS510, the double fakra to twin fakra pigtail which is required to connect the under dash antenna connectors coming from the J506 to the head unit so this only leaves the J506 unit, connection from J506 to the HU and cabling/connectors between the window aerial and the J506.

Would appreciate advice on best way to disconnect this connection and ways to test the cable and connection.

Attached a pic of the J506.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Tony,

The purple pieces are "secondary locks", and need to be unlocked before the connector can be removed. Use a sharp knife, like a craft knife, and gently lever out the purple plug. They will normally be at right angles to the cable. As soon as they are released the plug can be removed as normal.

Stu...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony,

The purple pieces are "secondary locks", and need to be unlocked before the connector can be removed. Use a sharp knife, like a craft knife, and gently lever out the purple plug. They will normally be at right angles to the cable. As soon as they are released the plug can be removed as normal.

Stu...
Thanks Stu,

I take it the purple plug is on each side of the connector and both needs to be levered out, by unlocking it do you destroy future locking of the plug i.e. is it a one use only plug?

Ok, once I remove the plug where to?

I was thinking of testing the cabling by bypassing the existing wiring and go from the J506 connector straight to the HU but that is harder than it seems as I don't have the ability to make up a test lead with the appropriate fakra ends.

Visually the plugs/connections look good so now I'm thinking at this point that I should take it to a dealer and hopefully they can test the J506 control unit and also the aerial amplifiers whilst all the trim is still removed, agree?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Thanks Stu,

I take it the purple plug is on each side of the connector and both needs to be levered out, by unlocking it do you destroy future locking of the plug i.e. is it a one use only plug?

Ok, once I remove the plug where to?
The purple lock is not single use item. There should only be one for each plug and when unlocked should remain attached to the plug (captive) . They should come out from one side only, you will need to visually check it.

To re-lock it should simply press back into place. If you use a knife use it with care as a pry bar only don't try to cut the purple plug. It should come out with ease. Once the purple lock is disengaged the connector should be able to be removed as they do on the radio.

Stuart...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts