Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding of the rear diff is that it sends power to the specific wheel with the most traction...without it, traction simply goes to the axle with most traction..is that accurate?

I want to have the baddest off-roader the factory can build so I'm wondering if I should insist on this option.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
No, I think what you are referring too is VW's optional "rear locking differential". All Touaregs have front and rear differentials and even a locking middle differential. But they also offer a rear locking diff. When activated, both wheels will spin at the same speed. If one wheel ends up off the ground, the other wheel won't know or care. Both wheels will continue to spin at the same speed as if nothing had changed. Without this, the engine would send all power to the rear wheel in the air and the rear wheel on the ground would not be able to use its traction to move the car.

The locking differential is useful for serious off-road vehicles. This type of differential has the same parts as an open differential, but adds a hydraulic mechanism to lock the two output pinions together. Buy the option if you are serious about offroading, but you will have to do some research to learn what it does and when it is appropriate to use it.

-Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.