Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I was on a streak of not much happening, here we go!

So this happened a total of 3 times, several weeks or months apart. I am making a new thread because I haven't seen my exact symptoms on others.

2004 V8 140k miles.

Timing service done at 90k.

I have already tried to replace the coolant temp sensor on the firewall, replaced with new, no change. I have NOT done the one on the radiator as I wasn't sure if it is the same sensor, or different? Also haven't had time to locate it, I knew where the other one was.

My issue: I live in Killington VT. This seems to happen under 2 circumstances all involving an increase and decrease in altitude. Granted we are in VT, Im talking going up to 3,000+ feet and then down to 1,200 or so and back home. Not like I'm at 11,000 feet but still a big increase and rapid decrease in elevation when I have to go over the sherburne pass into Rutland.

So this only happened 3 times, only when the car sat overnight and was cold (temps in 20's last night) Car will start up and drive fine, do the same trip, come home shut it off and fans are running full blast. All 3 times it had been very cold at night. First time was in September, then beginning of October, and then today. If I go for a ride while it is doing it, and go back up to the mountain, it stops. VERY ODD.

I replaced the rear sensor, my temp gauge does move around, it will get to 200 and stay there then when you climb up and go over the pass it comes down and eventually back up. So I assumed, coolant temp sensor. My next step I suppose is to replace the front one, then maybe the battery? Volt gauge is steady at 14, unless the fans are running full blast it will drop one notch below. If I try to re start the car while the fans are running it is a rough start, but will start.

No check engine lights, no codes.... Only happened 3 times, all 3 times I was able to get it to stop by going for a ride up to elevation again. Rear sensor replaced, timing service done at 90k, no loss of coolant, gauge has never gone above 200 so no issue of overheating.

Any advice? Could it be a bad battery? Could it just be the front sensor? I will try that next, I have coolant and the rear one is done.... Is is the same sensor? Does the front have the clip too?

Sorry for the rant, thank you for any and all help!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, anyone who has replaced the front sensor on the radiator.... I just went out to locate it and ordered another one for the front. Want to make sure Im correct here. The one that is 3/4 the way down the passenger side of the radiator? Metal retaining clip? I can just pop it out and then re-fill coolant and allow car to run w cap off to bleed it correct? Want to make sure I do not need to remove the bumper cover or something odd to reach it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody???

I have another update.... I drove the truck about 20 miles and went up, over the pass tonight and downtown. As I'm around town everything is fine. Normal operating temp etc. came back over and it's literally a climb to 3000+ feet then a drop right back down. At the bottom the oil temp and coolant temp both fell down and fan was triggered on by the time I got home and shut car off. Started back up went for a quick spin, everything "reset" fans turned off. New front sensor on the way will replace this week. Wondering about the battery though??

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thermostat

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
New front sensor on the way will replace this week.
I am unsure about your "Front Sensor". I am only familiar with one temperature located in front of the radiator. That being the outside air temp, which would have nothing to do with the issue you are looking at.

If anything it may be a crook thermostat.

Stuart...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 coolant temp sensors on the v8, one near the firewall under the intake tubing, I've replaced that. Then there is one in the radiator, it is also a coolant temp sensor.... The ambient air temp sensor is a whole different thug usually more toward the bumper. If it is not the front sensor then I will have to redo the timing belt and water pump and thermostat at some point. It's manageable for now as it only happens w severe elevation change, not any other time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You need to clear the set dtc from the faulty temp sensor. Your thermostat is bad if your temps are visually moving not to mention you probably have a pretty large air pocket in the cooling system because that is not how you fill it.

Take your car to a repair shop...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of not giving advice, and apparently you cannot read.... I'd appreciate help otherwise please don't waste my time.

First of all.... I have not even replaced the sensor yet.... So there is no air pocket. What is the correct way to bleed the coolant then to assure no air is in there.

Second, never did I say I had a stored DTC. In fact if you read correctly you would see I do NOT have any codes stored and have not gotten any type of check engine light.

I came on here for some advice or help, I am not an amateur idiot. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cooling fan issues

Have you had any luck? I have a 13 model. Ten seconds after cranking, cooling fans runs on high. Stays on high the entire cranked time. Turn the car off and the fan runs on low for the next five or so minutes. Only 55,000 miles. Assumed I had it covered under warranty, but assumed wrong. Very doesn't cover electrical after 36000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you had any luck? I have a 13 model. Ten seconds after cranking, cooling fans runs on high. Stays on high the entire cranked time. Turn the car off and the fan runs on low for the next five or so minutes. Only 55,000 miles. Assumed I had it covered under warranty, but assumed wrong. Very doesn't cover electrical after 36000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello.

I replaced both coolant temp sensors, finally got a code for temp too low w vag and so mine is the thermostat. Going to take it in for the full timing service when I have time. My car is only doing it with excessive increase and rapid decrease in elevation. This happens often as I live at a ski resort, actually haven't had the fans kick on since replacing the sensors but coolant temp still fluctuating and that code is for the thermostat. Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts