Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am about to place order to a dealer for a used 14' TDI R-Line. However, dealer notified me that there is only 1 car key (the remote start).

My questions are:
How many keys did you get from the dealer with your new Touaregs?
If I have to get a new key from the dealer, with programming and everything, how much shall I expect to pay?

I am in the US.

Thanks very much for your help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The dealer should be picking up the $250 tab for a second key.

Otherwise walk away.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I didn't purchase my Tregs new, but purchased two Jettas both new. Both came with two keys and a valet key. The valet key is nice if you go places where you need to get wet and don't want to ruin your standard key (the valet key is old school with no battery or buttons).

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Two keys. they valet keys are built into the keys of the 2011+ touaregs.

Reactions: orzking

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The detachable keys in the fobs are properly termed emergency keys, not valet keys. They only physically operate the drivers door (and windows, if activated on the vehicle) and the glove box locks.

Reactions: orzking

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks. Do you happen to know how many keys come with the new car by default? I assume at least 2 remote keys?
As above, two fobs and 1 valet key.

Stick out for the second fob!

·
Registered
189 Posts
orzking, work a deal with the seller for the second key. VW dealer will need to program new remote and reprogram existing remote to the Touareg and that is usually $95 on top of cost of the new remote.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
As above, two fobs and 1 valet key.

Stick out for the second fob!
a 2014 does not come with a separate valet key. Just the two fobs. The valet key was for the previous generation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts