Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to posting on forums (not at looking through them). I have been always interested in the Touareg TDI due to it multipurpose capabilities. I currently own a V6 TDI and love it, but I am now starting to think I would like to get a second V10 and turn it into an offroad/towing machine.

I have found an add for a 2007 V10 TDI with all the bells and whistles selling for $11400 and has 140000 kms on it. The owner has stated that the Touareg has used it on road only and has maintained it by the local VW dealer.

What do you think?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No one on the internet can possibly tell you whether any car is worth buying or not.

Yes, some folk may chime in but none of them have seen, or heard, or driven, or know the car.

You're on your own.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Just because it was used on pavement and was maintained by the dealer tells you very little about the car. (You can confirm that claim of course by going to that dealer and requesting a printout of ALL work and diagnostics they have performed - from mile zero) The seller might have to release the dealer to provide you with the report.
If the oil has NOT been changed too recently (again from the dealer records) it is well worthwhile to have a used oil analysis (UOA) done. That will immediately tell you if there is too much iron in the oil. Iron CAN come from worn out camshafts/followers but is not necessarily always from that source.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Don't the early V10's have issues with the turbos? I've read here that the replacement are at least better, however.

Also, check if it really IS fully loaded. Sometimes sellers will say that and it doesn't even have air suspension. IMHO, fully loaded means it has EVERYTHING, including 4 zone climate, front AND rear heated seats ("winter package"), locking rear diff (that was optional with every package, I think...) rearview camera (not sure if it was offered on early T1s), FACTORY trailer hitch (gets you the OEM tow module and OE trailer brake wiring hookup ability) and the upgraded nav radio.

Have it checked out by a diesel mechanic who knows VWs. If the seller won't let you have it checked, walk away and wait for another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.

I will have to ask the seller a few more questions. Unfortunately the Touareg is not near where I live, so it wouldn't be possible to get the oil checked out and get it inspected. The price seems to be pretty good for the kilometers on it. The V10 isn't very common in Canada so Its difficult to really compare it. But this one has about 100000 less kilometers and is asking about $5000 less. He says that he moving out of the country so is trying to make a quick sell on the vehicle.

Thanks Fourdiesel I will definitely see if I can get the dealer to give me some info on the vehicle. Hopefully I can get permission from the owner.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I bought mine out of state. About 900 miles away, actually. No, I didn't get it inspected, but I had the dealer send me some extra pictures to confirm certain features. I flew into the town and drove it home. The only surprise was an oil leak at the front of the engine, but it made it home without having to add oil.

Good luck!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I will have to ask the seller a few more questions. Unfortunately the Touareg is not near where I live, so it wouldn't be possible to get the oil checked out and get it inspected. The price seems to be pretty good for the kilometers on it. The V10 isn't very common in Canada so Its difficult to really compare it. But this one has about 100000 less kilometers and is asking about $5000 less. He says that he moving out of the country so is trying to make a quick sell on the vehicle.

Thanks Fourdiesel I will definitely see if I can get the dealer to give me some info on the vehicle. Hopefully I can get permission from the owner.
I would not buy this vehicle without a full prepurchase inspection by a knowledgeable independent mechanic. Without it you could be buying into a huge money pit...or a cream puff...but you won't know without a PPI.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Thanks for the info.

snip... But this one has about 100000 less kilometers and is asking about $5000 less. He says that he moving out of the country so is trying to make a quick sell on the vehicle. snip.
That is all you need to know - SCAM SCAM. Even if the car exists it won't be anywhere near where the seller wants to meet you. You will NOT be able to get any truthful data about the car (or, if you get truthful data that car will not really be for sale)
WALK AWAY! NOW!
and change all your passwords on your email and other accounts!

Reactions: lml999

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, this just rubs me wrong. That bold line is classic scam. The price seems crazy low for a year that is super uncommon, the fact you can't see it in person is reason enough to walk, and the fact that there is a time limit is dangerous...they want you to feel rushed.

Too much wrong here. Don't proceed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good call!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts