Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, recently bought a touareg 2007 used.... the dealer had no idea what should have been in the car.. it had no spare no jack and who know what else is missing from the rear of my touareg... could a get a photo and details on what should be back there please? from what I understand the spare is unique to the car.. he thought that he could just buy any rim and tire and it would be the same as the stock spare... please I need some help...
thanks,
Christine
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you change your topic and make it more specific, you may attract more responses/help.

Yes, you need a special spare tire that deflates for storage and is designed to be inflated before use, either with your air suspension via a hose that's stashed somewhere in the vehicle, or via an air compressor on the left side of your (missing) spare.

See if the dealer will source a spare tire for you. They are a few hundred dollars on eBay. The jack and tire tools are packed in a styrofoam holder and they sit to the right of your spare tire.

If you have air suspension and you're lucky, you will find the tire inflation hose either under your rear seats or in the cargo area in a compartment on either side behind the wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My advise is to call a VW parts department, have them look up your VIN number and list out the part numbers for the missing parts.

Key things are a tire lock, you will not be able to change a flat without it.

Jacks used vary by options, there is a standard one and one for running boards. I have read of someone who had the WRONG all together jack that was NOT rated to lift the truck, his broke whilst in the air because it wasn't the correct part. From memory, the jack should say Touareg and have a metal (NOT nylon) threaded support. Don't get a knock off.

Like FSJ said, an air compressor (if you have steel suspension), which is a plastic box with a door on one end. If you open it up you find an air hose with built in gauge and jumper wires for power.

Additionally there is a brief tool kit packed in with and around everything.

Lastly, get (if you don't have it already) an owners manual. It can be a lifesaver if you do in fact get a flat.

Note that the spare is an inflatable tire. No compressor, no spare.

Some folks carry a standard wheel and tire, but it will not fit below the rear deck and will take up space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys..... I am new to the Touareg and am just starting to understand how unique it is... I visited out local German beer hall/restaurant and it made a big hit with the regulars... they saw the "switchblade" key and asked what kind of VW I drove.... when I told them a Touareg their response shocked me, it was as if I had a Ferrari parked outside...just one more question I notice two removable panels to the left and right of the spare tire well, the one on the right has a green cross on it, much like our red cross symbol I find the 6 CD changer behind that. is there anything else that should be there? the one on the left, once the panel is removed I find Velcro straps but nothing else, what goes there?
thanks again and fahrvergnugen :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys..... I am new to the Touareg and am just starting to understand how unique it is... I visited out local German beer hall/restaurant and it made a big hit with the regulars... they saw the "switchblade" key and asked what kind of VW I drove.... when I told them a Touareg their response shocked me, it was as if I had a Ferrari parked outside...just one more question I notice two removable panels to the left and right of the spare tire well, the one on the right has a green cross on it, much like our red cross symbol I find the 6 CD changer behind that. is there anything else that should be there? the one on the left, once the panel is removed I find Velcro straps but nothing else, what goes there?
thanks again and fahrvergnugen :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The only optional thing on the right could be a tow module, which is either factory or dealer installed. It is hard to see and sits behind the cd changer...only needed if you plan to tow.

The left side straps are great for a small fire extinguisher. A first aid kit fits in both mine as well.

You might be amused to search and read on the long list of Touareg secrets on here (like the back glass opens if the truck is unlocked by pinching under the rear wiper blade base..there is a button back there)

Also there are resources for looking for problem areas when buying and common issues...might be useful too.

Welcome to wonderful quirky life of Touareg ownership...including some odd attention they get at times...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The very first thing you need is the quirky little metal hook for pulling off the dust caps that cover the wheel lugs! Without that you are up the creek with no paddle.

Then you need the collapsible spare wheel.

Next up is the compressor as mentioned and that runs off terminals under the bonnet/hood and, unless you want a fire, NOT from the cigarette lighter socket!

Wheel brace obviously.

Jack as above.

Wheel lug lock key.

2 steel, collapsible, wheel chocks.

If there is nothing left at all, you will also need the unique-to-the-Touareg headlamp removal tool so you can change bulbs if you have the T1 - the bottom of the headlight unit is straight on those. If you have a T2 there is a kink along the bottom of the headlight and the unit removal is different.

Go to your dealer and get a list of parts as someone has already suggested. While you are there ask them to run off your car's build sheets, also known as the data sheets - lots of useful info for you there.

Do take time to read the buying a used Touareg thread carefully. The link is in my signature. You will learn a lot.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Touareg Nut is giving away a free lightly used space saver spare tire if you'll pay for shipping. Check out his thread T1 space saver spare tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts