Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've had a phantom/intermittent coolant leak and was finally able to catch it in action this afternoon. Here are some pics of a part on the rear of the engine. Please help me identify the culprit, I don't know exactly what it is. (Pictures taken from passenger side)

It looks likes whatever it is it has a housing and either the housing is cracked or there is a gasket between the two pieces of the housing that has failed.

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I can see it's made by Bosch. Can you see a part number at all?

One word of warning - only use the correct VW coolant to top up and nothing else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the aux water pump! Thank you! Should be an easy fix with the exception of getting around some of those hoses. Hopefully nothing else more nefarious is going on. The leak appears to be coming directly out of that part, not a bad hose fitting attaching to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, in the event anyone stumbles across this with a similar problem- The impeller housing was cracked inside and it was just slight enough that it only leaked intermittently- probably only on hot days. If you end up changing the aux water pump, it hangs in two rubber cradles and the easiest way (in retrospect) to get it off is to pull straight down and the rubber nipples holding it in will slip out and will give you some more wiggle room to get to the hose clamps free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts