Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Touareg v10 TDI which hasn't been used or started in about 5 years... Can anyone offer some guidance as to getting it cleaned up and ready for use again?

I have some thoughts, but am certain you all will have much more.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think you'll start with:
Two new batteries
New fuel filters
New oil / oil filter
Drain tank and use fresh diesel (it can get contaminated easily)

That'll get it to crank and possibly run.

Next start with electrical issues - scan with VCDS to see if any important electronics or other systems are bad.

THEN:
Tires? depending on what shape they're in two or four
Brakes - flush the brake system with new fluid
Power steering fluid - you know it takes a special kind

Maybe that'll get it driving.

Then you can join the "perpetual maintenance" that the rest of us do with our V10's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Any suggestions for the best/easiest way to drain fuel? I think it was 1/4 tank full at the time. Siphon out method?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Read this carefully so you know what goes wrong.

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

You need to know the EXACT correct oil for that engine too.

Likely you need all four new tires - they MUST be identical - same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern, same tread depth to within 2/32ths. It's all in the thread linked above.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Any suggestions for the best/easiest way to drain fuel? I think it was 1/4 tank full at the time. Siphon out method?
Fuel that old can be very problematic. If the car was kept in a cooler/cold climate - you don't say what part of the world you are in - the fuel is almost certainly contaminated with water that condensed out of the air in the tank on the cold sides and ran down under the 1/4 tank of fuel and sat there. At the water/fuel interface alge and slime WILL grow unless a biocide had been added. If present the fuel tank internals (pump, screens, etc) must be removed and cleaned and the tank internals flushed. Do this BEFORE trying to run the pumps to flush the fuel system!
If you need to get the fuel out of the tank the best way is to remove the pump/pick-up assembly and suction pump through that hole. The filler pipe is generally a poor way to assure all fuel is removed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If they are both working, just grimy, then I'd clean them. If they aren't working and you think maybe cleaning the grime off will get them running ... well then I'd replace them with new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I got this car started, now a couple of problems. Most notably check engine light for "Turbocharger (TC) control module 2, faulty". Reputable independent shop says will cost about $7k to replace both modules.

Is this a lost cause? The car has not run in years and when it was last ran, it had no issues. I'm not sure what issues can present themselves after a long period of not starting. Any thoughts or suggestions? It is a relatively low mileage vehicle for the model year (~65,000), but I don't want to pummel this money into it if I'm likely to encounter additional high cost repairs. I don't think the value would be there.

Other side problems: trunk won't latch - actuator changed, but still not working. Guessing this is the comfort control module, but don't know yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sometimes, after a long spell of no use, just pulling and re-inserting connectors for electronic units can get rid of problems. A squirt of contact cleaner can also help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a methodical approach I can recommend the service shop follow? Or something specific they can check that would lead to a "misdiagnosed" code? I'm not sure how to proceed from here, as I'm not doing the work myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll send you a PM. I'm on Long Island. If I don't get some positive traction, then I'm likely to sell.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts