Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states, considering buying a 2010 TDI but only the well equipped options ones with Dynaudio and Air Suspension. After looking at a Carfax for one I'm considering, I noticed the most recent repair center visit had some notes so I called them up. Here is what the technicians notes said:

83507 FAULT CODE P20E8 IS STORED IN ECM FOR REDUCTANT PRESSURE TO
LOW. INSPECTED AD BLUE INJECTOR AND NO BUILD UP OF AD BLUE PRESENT.
INJECTOR AND PIPE IS CLEAN. REMOVED REAR MUFFLER AND AD BLUE TANK.
INSPECTED PUMP AND IS VISUALLY OK. INSPECTED SUPPLY LINE AND FOUND AD
BLUE SUPPLY LINE CRUSHED. CAN ALSO SEE WIRING HARNESS IS CRUSHED BUT
APPEARS TO BE OK. PROVIDED QUOTE FOR REPLACEMENT OF AD BLUE SUPPLY
LINE.

Am I looking at immediate repairs or problems if I purchase this particular one?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump since I’d still like an answer if anyone can provide some input.

Also, I looked at another 2010 Touareg TDI with about 135k miles but it’s had every single maintenance milestone completed all by VW direct.

Funny thing on this one is they claim this vehicle does not have the Adblue system. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never buy a Touareg with known issues.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just answered my own question.... there is.... when was this vehicle "fixed" .... date and milage.
I'm not sure what you mean. Although, now that I think about it, wouldn't any Adblue issues be repairable under the new Emissions Warranty? Meaning if there really are messed up supply lines, would this be covered perhaps?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never buy a Touareg with known issues.
I'm totally with you but when shopping used, that's sort of hard to eliminate. A Touareg with no known issues could really just be issues not yet uncovered. I'd rather know up front and determine whether or not I can deal with it or if the dealer can fix it ahead of time before I officially purchase it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Although, now that I think about it, wouldn't any Adblue issues be repairable under the new Emissions Warranty? Meaning if there really are messed up supply lines, would this be covered perhaps?
It doesn't sound like you're familiar with the Dieselgate and Emission Fix scandal..... educate yourself.
All TDIs that are still in use get modifications done to make them "comply" with requirements, and as a result, you get extended warranty from that date\milage...... look for a green sticker under the hood telling you when this was done.... date\milage.

All emissions related stuff (such as AdBlue) will be covered as a result.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't sound like you're familiar with the Dieselgate and Emission Fix scandal..... educate yourself.

All TDIs that are still in use get modifications done to make them "comply" with requirements, and as a result, you get extended warranty from that date\milage...... look for a green sticker under the hood telling you when this was done.... date\milage.

All emissions related stuff (such as AdBlue) will be covered as a result.

Thanks for that info. I’m aware of the whole scandal and how all TDIs were sent back to Detroit sitting in a graveyard awaiting their fixes and lawsuit settlements. I’ve owned VWs my whole life pretty much but never a TDI.

I’m not up to date on what the new emissions warranties are or anything about green stickers under hoods. Thanks for that info though!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you for those links. Just finished reviewing them. The first link outlines what’s covered but I don’t see anything about Adblue or it’s related components such as supply lines unless it falls under a different category or name but still covered.

And according to the 2nd link, it appears there’s still more time before final deadlines of turning in vehicles so there might be tons more of these well equipped 2010 model years that will flood the market over the next 12 months id imagine.

I’m noticing on a lot of these Carfax reports for all 2010s I’ve been looking at, you will see a 2017 line item entry where it went back to Detroit so I assume that’s when it was turned in and the ones for sale today have already all undergone the “fix”.

Hmm, do I just go and lease a brand new Ford Edge, Explorer, or Jeep Grand Cherokee on a cheap Employee lease plan and just call it a day???

Many of these 2010 model years I’m looking at are all selling around $16k and monthly payments on a 60 month term are coming out to about $350/mo roughly.

You can find also really nicely equipped BMW X5 35d that are model year 2012-2013 priced at $16k or less easily and it’s a newer vehicle than those 2010 Touaregs.

I don’t want a T3 either. Sold my 2015 Touareg Hybrid and looking to go into something much cheaper. Plus, I love the looks of the fully loaded 2010 Touaregs with the same paint body kits and big OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I doubt that any of the vehicles you're finding for sale have not been "fixed"...... they can't legally be for sale if they aren't fixed.
There might still be people who are hanging onto their units until the end....

If you want a TDI Touareg, look for one that suits your needs (financial, equipment, etc) which has the most recent emission warranty fix.... this will buy you the most of the 4 years\48k miles warranty......

The AdBlue system is an emission control system, and thus is fully covered under the fix warranty..... read the warranty again and you will notice that.

x5s diesel are very nice, but you're not getting the piece of mind extended warranty, and when something goes wrong, you will pay big coin to fix it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pretty sure private sellers and dealers other than VAG dealers are free to do with the TDI's as they wish. No obligation to get them fixed just as owners were allowed to opt out of the settlement. One could run into non fixed vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You cannot legally sell\re-register a non-fixed one.....
Why would anyone opt out of a settlement payment (read free money) and sell the vehicle to someone else who can then get that payment? Where's the logic?

·
Registered
93 Posts
First....I believe you are in Ontario where you have emissions testing from what I understand, so you may not be able to register the vehicle there, but I am in BC and they scrapped emissions testing long ago. I know of no government agency on the look out for unfixed TDI's in private sales that would prevent anything. If you have a link to something applicable to the entire country, please share.

Second, the period had long passed to be eligible for the settlement. Any new owners do not qualify, even if the settlement was not claimed by the previous owner. All in the settlement documents on the Canadian settlement website. I am sure the US has similar stipulations.

There are people who declined the fix, especially Gen 2 owners who were only offered smaller dollar amounts based on their circumstances. They did not want the original performance of their vehicle altered. In fact Audi has being flying a tech around the country recently inspecting vehicles that owners have had issue with delayed acceleration because of the fix.

You cannot legally sell\re-register a non-fixed one.....

Why would anyone opt out of a settlement payment (read free money) and sell the vehicle to someone else who can then get that payment? Where's the logic?
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
First....I believe you are in Ontario where you have emissions testing from what I understand, so you may not be able to register the vehicle there, but I am in BC and they scrapped emissions testing long ago. I know of no government agency on the look out for unfixed TDI's in private sales that would prevent anything. If you have a link to something applicable to the entire country, please share.
The OP is in DC, so none of that is relevant if you want to discuss local province\state legislation.
Also, last time I checked, this wasn't a provincial or state specific matter, but it was a North American one.

Second, the period had long passed to be eligible for the settlement. Any new owners do not qualify, even if the settlement was not claimed by the previous owner. All in the settlement documents on the Canadian settlement website. I am sure the US has similar stipulations.
Once again, the OP mentioned that in his situation, there appears to be more time for the deadline..... I haven't looked into that statement to confirm or deny its validity.... you can have that debate with him.

There are people who declined the fix, especially Gen 2 owners who were only offered smaller dollar amounts based on their circumstances. They did not want the original performance of their vehicle altered. In fact Audi has being flying a tech around the country recently inspecting vehicles that owners have had issue with delayed acceleration because of the fix.
I'm not familiar with such circumstances, so perhaps that is true.
The point I was making is that any qualifying owner, would only potentially opt out of the buyback & the fix options if they were privately suing or perhaps like you mention, they didn't want their baby molested..... however, in those rare cases, I doubt they would be selling their vehicle, so I can't see how that scenario is relevant to the OP's search. Everyone else, either took a buyout or took the fix and the associated payment before selling their vehicle.

Who would opt out of everything and then sell their vehicle, essentially loosing out on any damages payment? Or under what circumstance?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would anyone know off hand exactly which fuse in the fuse panel box belongs to the car horn?

All of a sudden it stopped working.

Also, did not realize there is no factory Bluetooth capability even though I have the RNS 510 with Nav system. Did the 2010s not come equipped with Bluetooth?

I thought this was the first year they introduced Bluetooth capabilities.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Would anyone know off hand exactly which fuse in the fuse panel box belongs to the car horn?

All of a sudden it stopped working.

Also, did not realize there is no factory Bluetooth capability even though I have the RNS 510 with Nav system. Did the 2010s not come equipped with Bluetooth?

I thought this was the first year they introduced Bluetooth capabilities.

What year Touareg do you have? Your sig says '15 Hybrid yet you talk about a '10. Need to be clear so we know. '10 does have Bluetooth with the RNS 510, mine has it. Your horns are probably dead and the fuse is not the issue. I just had mine replaced the other month myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year Touareg do you have? Your sig says '15 Hybrid yet you talk about a '10. Need to be clear so we know. '10 does have Bluetooth with the RNS 510, mine has it. Your horns are probably dead and the fuse is not the issue. I just had mine replaced the other month myself.

Sold my 2015, now have a 2010. Could it perhaps be that Bluetooth was included during later 2010 models and maybe mine is an early 2010 build?

But yes, in the settings menu I have allow Bluetooth checked, and when you click Phone button, it says no phone connected and you can’t click anything that says add new phone.

How much did a horn replacement cost you?

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Sold my 2015, now have a 2010. Could it perhaps be that Bluetooth was included during later 2010 models and maybe mine is an early 2010 build?

But yes, in the settings menu I have allow Bluetooth checked, and when you click Phone button, it says no phone connected and you can’t click anything that says add new phone.

How much did a horn replacement cost you?

Mine is an early '10 and it has Bluetooth. I left the shop so it since it requires the bumper cover be removed to access they horns. Yes, horns, there is two of them. Was $500ish to get them fixed. My thought way they are responsible for anything they break when removing stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts