Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a '14 TDI and haven't read the manual cover to cover but didn't see anything about adding a cetane boost additive in cold weather. I assume, with all the other wiz bang features the car has, it keeps the fuel from gelling? Interested to hear what other northerner's do.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
I don't put anything in my tank aside from Lucas fuel injector cleaner. Never had a gel issue at all. They put stuff in the fuel already in winter. No need for you to do more and I have owned mine since new.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bought my '13 TDi last December and the car had been sitting on their lot a few months. Dealership called me before my appointment to tell me that the car won't start. Seems that it still had "summer blend" fuel in it and the filter was gelled up. I'm not taking any chances this year since the pumps may still have "summer" fuel in their tanks for a while longer.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
FYI, The term "gel" with regards to diesel fuel is misleading. What is actually happening is that at colder temperatures, any paraffin (the North American meaning of the word) wax that is in the fuel will start to form tiny, needle-like, crystals of hard wax. These crystals will be stopped by the fuel filter membrane, eventually entirely blocking the filter, and so starving the engine of fuel and stopping it. Paraffin content is variable, from source to source, and not regulated, therefore extremely difficult to predict. The diesel fuels specified "floc point" is the temperature that this crystallization will start to occur. Of course, once the fuel warms above this point, the paraffin crystals melt, and are returned to a normal liquid component of the fuel and can be filtered and burnt in the regular way.
Most "anti-gel" additives are a light oil, that will aid in lowering the floc point of the fuel, kerosene being a popular one.
Some people may also refer to filter blockage by bacterial debris (black slime) from bacterial fuel contamination as a "fuel gel" condition. This is not the case, but rather the result of bacterial growth on the oil/water interface of an infected tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have only recently bought a Touareg TDI but have owned 3 other VW TDIs (golf and 2 passats) and had owned them for years in Montana. I used to run Stanadyne in them but that isn't supposed to be stored where it gets below 32 degrees. I got tired of storing bottles of it inside the house. I then switched to the white bottles (arctic formula) of Diesel Kleen. I buy a large jug of it for around $18 at Walmart and it is good for around 9 tanks of diesel. So around $2 a tank.

Was it really needed? Probably not. Maybe not? But I didn't want to find out at night somewhere when it was 25 below zero.

I've never had the diesel gel up.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Depends on where you source your fuel.... up in my polar bear sticks, the stations are mandated to only distribute "winter blends". This may or may not be the same in your hood. I run an additive, but for lubricity purposes, not as an "anti-gel" prevention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 14 Tree TDI with just under 100k miles, I've been using a cetane booster and now with the colder weather have switched to a cold weather formula anti-gel with cetane boosters. For the small cost per tankful, I've noticed the engine runs much smoother, regardless of where I buy diesel, which makes it worth while as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently bought a '14 TDI and haven't read the manual cover to cover but didn't see anything about adding a cetane boost additive in cold weather. I assume, with all the other wiz bang features the car has, it keeps the fuel from gelling? Interested to hear what other northerner's do.
Thanks.
How cold does your winter get? I’m in Duluth, MN and even in my older TDIs my car would start fine down to around -10F. I used a “Frost” heater installed in the coolant system on my 2004 Passat TDI and also on my 2012 Touareg TDI - because of the buybacks I now have a 2016 Touareg TDI and it starts without any additives or heater at even -20F and below. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts