Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given the bad news that i need both catalysts for my 06 touareg. If anyone knows where to purchase please help. I was just about to post it for sale so i can purchase a jetta TDI for my new commute.

Thanks, Cory

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
How many miles are on your Treg? They are supposed to have a warranty on them to get them replaced in the event they go bad. Cats just don't go to crap like that. Are you sure they are bad?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 105K on it. It has the platinum extended warranty unyil 109k. At 82K i brought it in for the coil recall. It was running terrible at the time and had the mill light on. After that it stayed off for about 5K but came on. Now i can smell fuel and it has a bad hesitation when started. VW told me both cats are bad. I am going to call VWOA and complain. He said most likely the coils caused the cats to be damaged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if it has a warranty until 109 and you only have 105 on it now I fail to see the problem. get it warrantied and call it a day. Or as a alternative fix you can install spacers for your O2 sensors O2 Oxygen Spacers sensor Dry Cell Test Pipe extension testpipe 18mm M18 X 1.5 * | eBay

these will bring your downstream O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream so you do not get a check engine light for catalyst efficiency below threshold. Then you can gut your cats and enjoy improved mpg and power. You will not pass a sniffer test if you have to get one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Or as a alternative fix you can install spacers for your O2 sensors
I'm assuming you are in California, if so, good luck finding a shop that will "jimmy" emissions. Not worth loosing a license for...try buying some Cataclean - you might be able to clear the Cat a bit. Note: It might also be the O² sensors. Ask your dealer if the "sensor" fix flash was performed on your truck. There was an issue re sensor sensitivity and VW had a software fix "disensitize" for it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm assuming you are in California, if so, good luck finding a shop that will "jimmy" emissions. Not worth loosing a license for...try buying some Cataclean - you might be able to clear the Cat a bit. Note: It might also be the O² sensors. Ask your dealer if the "sensor" fix flash was performed on your truck. There was an issue re sensor sensitivity and VW had a software fix "disensitize" for it. Good Luck!
don't make this sound like a HACK fix for the problem. This is a EXTREMELY common way to get rid of a fault code in the performance world. I would never ask a shop to put one in. slide under the truck unscrew your rear O2, install spacer reinstall O2. No more fault code It is not that difficult.

If your cat is damaged/clogged from having a missfire (which is very likely) for so long you may need to gutt it OR replace it. If I were selling a car I would install a $10 spacer before installing several hundred in replacement converters. Then the next owner will enjoy better mpg and gained power. Or I guess you could get a remap with a emissions delete if there is a tuner that can do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts