Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 VW Touareg TDI V6 - W/ Air
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for some specific advise on buying a used TDI Touareg. I am a previous owner of a 2004 Touareg V6. I really loved this car but it had many issues and wasn't worth sinking the money into it that it needed. So, I sold that and got a Tacoma. Looking to switch back to a Touareg and starting to shop around and research. I'm looking for a TDI for around 10k give or take a few thousand.

I would like to have the air suspension and rear lockers as I live in Hawaii and go off roading regularly. I noticed some of the Tregs dont have the rear diff locker switch like i had in my 04, rather it just say "On Road" & "Off Road". Is this the same thing with just a different looking switch? Also, I never had the air suspension, so I'm not sure how to spot that. So far i have yet to read any of the listing I'm looking at mention anything about air suspension or see anything in the photos indicating any of them have it. I read this can be hard to come by. If this is the case can it be added on easily and or would it be so astronomical that its not worth it?

Everything I'm seeing in my price rang is 2009-2013 with around 100k miles. However, I did find one with 250k miles on it for $6500. Seems like a good deal, but that many miles kinda scares me. So, I'm wondering what is the longevity of the engine/ transmission in these years? Is there a certain year you would recommend staying away from or a certain that is considered better? Obviously common sense sent get the newest with the least miles for the cheapest price. I have read about some people having an issue where their TDI engine went out completely, due to low quality diesel fuel, I believe. Something about metal shaving in the engine...I would much like to avoid this.

I have seen few with badges that have a blue I in the TDI. I believe from my reading that it just has something to do with a separate tank that hold AddBlue which helps with a more clean burn. Please advise if this is correct or not and/or if a Treg with the Blue I is any better than one without. Also, I plan on running mine on bio diesel sold by a local refinery on my island. From my understanding this is better for the engine than traditional diesel because of how lubricant it is. That is what the BioDeisel company says anyway. Please advise if there is any knowledge of using bio diesel being good, bad for these engines. I had a Jetta TDI, which I fuel using the bio diesel and it seemed to run better on it.

I have seen some listing show a 6 spd and 8spd auto transmission. Is one better than the other? Some listing just say Auto...is there a way to find out which one it is by looking at the photo?

I am also wondering about the different trim packages and what the main differences in them are? I've seen Sport, Lux, Lux Sport, Lux Limited, etc. Do any come with bigger tires and rims or any of the features I mentioned? I do have aspirations to put some bigger tires/rims on and possibly do a lift if I cant seem to find the air suspension I'm looking for.

Sorry its such long one...thank you so much for you time and wisdom on these questions. if there is anything I missed that you think I should be thinking about or looking our for please advise that as well.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just came across a couple 2007 V10 TDI that both appear to have the air suspension and center/rear diff lockers. any advice on this year and engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also just came across a couple 2007 V10 TDI that both appear to have the air suspension and center/rear diff lockers. any advice on this year and engine?
Hi trevor, I'm I the same position that you are as far as looking for information to purchase a Toureg. I don't see any replies. Did you get any replies.
John

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No replies other than yours. Not sure why...maybe too many questions. I'm still shopping. I just googled and found as much info as I could.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Golf 2000 TDI. I belong to the TDI group and they are very responsive.
Not much specific to Touaregs though. Thanks for reply. What did you find out as far as best model year?
Are you looking for Diesel or Gasoline?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Better look for a Touareg after 2011 with low miles. 3L, V6, diesel. Transmission is a Aisin 8 speed used also in many luxury cars like Lexus for example, very reliable. Air suspension is awsome, very reliable compared with the old Touareg model where there have been some problems.
If its AdBlue, yes you need to fill up now and them with some pee. Pretty cheap.
Sport, Lux, Lux Sport, Lux Limited, etc. It's all about the extra options, like moon roof, better audio system, electric seats..etc. You got the ideea. My advice is to buy one with as many of them, because..you'll love them.
As for BioDiesel, im not very sure but here in my country we run away from it. We have max 10% biodiesel in regular diesel. Its known to melt rubber seals and stuff. Stick with regular or premium. I'm not sure, but i think i have a sticker on the car with "No biodiesel", I'll check tomorrow and get back. I live in Europe, but cars should be the same.
You can fit bigger tires, here's an example:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, thanks very much. You say after 2011. So 2012 to 2020 or are 2011 good too?
Thanks X10000000
John

·
Registered
208 Posts
No Touaregs sold after 2017 in north america. I had a 2009 before my 2016. They each have their charm. The earlier models felt more like a truck while the newers are sportier and closer to the feel of a car. Less off road capability than the older models here in the States. Just depends on personal preference ..The new ones are more refined but I definitely miss the old one..It was a beast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am looking for some specific advise on buying a used TDI Touareg. I am a previous owner of a 2004 Touareg V6. I really loved this car but it had many issues and wasn't worth sinking the money into it that it needed. So, I sold that and got a Tacoma. Looking to switch back to a Touareg and starting to shop around and research. I'm looking for a TDI for around 10k give or take a few thousand.

I would like to have the air suspension and rear lockers as I live in Hawaii and go off roading regularly. I noticed some of the Tregs dont have the rear diff locker switch like i had in my 04, rather it just say "On Road" & "Off Road". Is this the same thing with just a different looking switch? Also, I never had the air suspension, so I'm not sure how to spot that. So far i have yet to read any of the listing I'm looking at mention anything about air suspension or see anything in the photos indicating any of them have it. I read this can be hard to come by. If this is the case can it be added on easily and or would it be so astronomical that its not worth it?

Everything I'm seeing in my price rang is 2009-2013 with around 100k miles. However, I did find one with 250k miles on it for $6500. Seems like a good deal, but that many miles kinda scares me. So, I'm wondering what is the longevity of the engine/ transmission in these years? Is there a certain year you would recommend staying away from or a certain that is considered better? Obviously common sense sent get the newest with the least miles for the cheapest price. I have read about some people having an issue where their TDI engine went out completely, due to low quality diesel fuel, I believe. Something about metal shaving in the engine...I would much like to avoid this.

I have seen few with badges that have a blue I in the TDI. I believe from my reading that it just has something to do with a separate tank that hold AddBlue which helps with a more clean burn. Please advise if this is correct or not and/or if a Treg with the Blue I is any better than one without. Also, I plan on running mine on bio diesel sold by a local refinery on my island. From my understanding this is better for the engine than traditional diesel because of how lubricant it is. That is what the BioDeisel company says anyway. Please advise if there is any knowledge of using bio diesel being good, bad for these engines. I had a Jetta TDI, which I fuel using the bio diesel and it seemed to run better on it.

I have seen some listing show a 6 spd and 8spd auto transmission. Is one better than the other? Some listing just say Auto...is there a way to find out which one it is by looking at the photo?

I am also wondering about the different trim packages and what the main differences in them are? I've seen Sport, Lux, Lux Sport, Lux Limited, etc. Do any come with bigger tires and rims or any of the features I mentioned? I do have aspirations to put some bigger tires/rims on and possibly do a lift if I cant seem to find the air suspension I'm looking for.

Sorry its such long one...thank you so much for you time and wisdom on these questions. if there is anything I missed that you think I should be thinking about or looking our for please advise that as well.
Hi, Trevor! Count me in, too! I'm focused on a 2010 TDI because I want the locking diff. My family is concerned about buying such an old car, even with less than 100K, but the local dealers have offered a pretty comprehensive warranty, including a loaner. So I'll be watching this forum for any insights for things to be aware of. I just drove a '12. Was not totally impressed with the 0-60. Adequate, but not sporty. Admittedly, while I was noting that to the salesperson, I looked down at the spedo and was heading to 80! Good luck on your search. I'll post my progress, too.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better look for a Touareg after 2011 with low miles. 3L, V6, diesel. Transmission is a Aisin 8 speed used also in many luxury cars like Lexus for example, very reliable. Air suspension is awsome, very reliable compared with the old Touareg model where there have been some problems.
If its AdBlue, yes you need to fill up now and them with some pee. Pretty cheap.
Sport, Lux, Lux Sport, Lux Limited, etc. It's all about the extra options, like moon roof, better audio system, electric seats..etc. You got the ideea. My advice is to buy one with as many of them, because..you'll love them.
As for BioDiesel, im not very sure but here in my country we run away from it. We have max 10% biodiesel in regular diesel. Its known to melt rubber seals and stuff. Stick with regular or premium. I'm not sure, but i think i have a sticker on the car with "No biodiesel", I'll check tomorrow and get back. I live in Europe, but cars should be the same.
You can fit bigger tires, here's an example:
View attachment 235459
Dude, this photo is exactly what I was going for! Is this your rig? If so, what size are your rims and tires? How do i fit tires like that on mine...any special modifications needed? I ended up getting a 2010 TDI willy loaded with air suspicions, center locker, etc. Any word on the Bio-deisel?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish it was mine :D
He is also a member on this forum. You can look him on instagram, for more photos and info: dillonkempton
Wheels are 305/60 R18

·
Registered
20 Posts
Overall, all of your questions are already answered on this forum if you read and search the archives.

In a TDI, you will only find a rear locker on the (older) V10 models in the USA. The V10 is somewhat more complicated and difficult to maintain and repair vs the V6 TDI.

A few hundred were sold in the USA with the V6 TDI and air suspension in 09-10, but they're very rare, and usually sell quickly for close to $20k.

2011+ was a total redesign of the Touareg (T3 model). It looks quite a bit different, and switched from the 6 speed to the 8 speed transmission. They get better fuel economy but lost the low range transfer case and center diff lock the pre-2011 models had. There are no air suspension or lockers on 2011+ USA models. They are still great offroad vehicles, but personally I really like the extremely low crawl ratio of the older model, which lets you creep real slow over obstacles.

I was basically looking for the same thing as you and ended up looking only at 2009-2010 V6 TDIs. I ended up getting a steel suspension model, as I was unable to find any air suspension V6 TDI models on the market in the entire USA after looking daily for ~3 months or so.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah mine had the same sticker on it as well ? I’m pretty bummed about that, so I’m going to see if there is a way to make it happen or not. Sounds like I may need to start a new thread on this. Maybe VW are just covering their asses and saying not to use it because they haven’t done any testing on it. Either way I’m going to find out. I had a better and ran bio deisle and never had any issues. The supplier says you can use it on any deisel after a certain year like 87 or something like that because otherwise it will eat through the older rubber lines/ seals or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
If you look at the label on the pumps, most are a certain amount of Bio in it now anyhow. I would not worry too much about it if I was you. I ran basically a full tank of bio once in mine and no issues nor did it really run any different imo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, I just acquired a 2010 V6 TDI air Suspention and really enjoying it. On the question of Bio Diesel, mine was a factory buy back and then bought by a dealer for resale. It has a 48 month VW Warranty and the Warranty will be void if you use Bio Diesel. Maybe not an issue in Hawaii but certainly here in California. Got a great price on it and it is a beast! Really love it. Still learning about it, evidently rare. Anybody seen one with a rear locker? Maybe a Unicorn?

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
Hi guys, I just acquired a 2010 V6 TDI air Suspention and really enjoying it. On the question of Bio Diesel, mine was a factory buy back and then bought by a dealer for resale. It has a 48 month VW Warranty and the Warranty will be void if you use Bio Diesel. Maybe not an issue in Hawaii but certainly here in California. Got a great price on it and it is a beast! Really love it. Still learning about it, evidently rare. Anybody seen one with a rear locker? Maybe a Unicorn?
Yeah, there is not many of them for sure. I've owned mine from new. No rear locker offered in 09-10'. Bio will not hurt it, trust me. But I've seen no real added benefit aside from it may have more lubricity to it.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Yet, you said “Bio will not hurt it, trust me” can you elaborate on that? Have you been running bio for a while on yours? I have the ability to get bio for less than diesel and would feel better supporting a local biz vs big oil companies.

Yeah, there is not many of them for sure. I've owned mine from new. No rear locker offered in 09-10'. Bio will not hurt it, trust me. But I've seen no real added benefit aside from it may have more lubricity to it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
RE: BioDiesel, my understanding is it messes with the emissions system; namely the DPF iirc. Using more than B10, (B20 in IL) runs the risk of voiding the warranty.
If you're already out of warranty, you can run whatever you want. If you have a warranty, you might want to clarify with VW.
Diesels will burn and run on any combustible oil. What it does to the internals and emissions systems it what's up for debate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts