Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for some specific advise on buying a used TDI Touareg. I am a previous owner of a 2004 Touareg V6. I really loved this car but it had many issues and wasn't worth sinking the money into it that it needed. So, I sold that and got a Tacoma. Looking to switch back to a Touareg and starting to shop around and research. I'm looking for a TDI for around 10k give or take a few thousand.

I would like to have the air suspension and rear lockers as I live in Hawaii and go off roading regularly. I noticed some of the Tregs dont have the rear diff locker switch like i had in my 04, rather it just say "On Road" & "Off Road". Is this the same thing with just a different looking switch? Also, I never had the air suspension, so I'm not sure how to spot that. So far i have yet to read any of the listing I'm looking at mention anything about air suspension or see anything in the photos indicating any of them have it. I read this can be hard to come by. If this is the case can it be added on easily and or would it be so astronomical that its not worth it?

Everything I'm seeing in my price rang is 2009-2013 with around 100k miles. However, I did find one with 250k miles on it for $6500. Seems like a good deal, but that many miles kinda scares me. So, I'm wondering what is the longevity of the engine/ transmission in these years? Is there a certain year you would recommend staying away from or a certain that is considered better? Obviously common sense sent get the newest with the least miles for the cheapest price. I have read about some people having an issue where their TDI engine went out completely, due to low quality diesel fuel, I believe. Something about metal shaving in the engine...I would much like to avoid this.

I have seen few with badges that have a blue I in the TDI. I believe from my reading that it just has something to do with a separate tank that hold AddBlue which helps with a more clean burn. Please advise if this is correct or not and/or if a Treg with the Blue I is any better than one without. Also, I plan on running mine on bio diesel sold by a local refinery on my island. From my understanding this is better for the engine than traditional diesel because of how lubricant it is. That is what the BioDeisel company says anyway. Please advise if there is any knowledge of using bio diesel being good, bad for these engines. I had a Jetta TDI, which I fuel using the bio diesel and it seemed to run better on it.

I have seen some listing show a 6 spd and 8spd auto transmission. Is one better than the other? Some listing just say Auto...is there a way to find out which one it is by looking at the photo?

I am also wondering about the different trim packages and what the main differences in them are? I've seen Sport, Lux, Lux Sport, Lux Limited, etc. Do any come with bigger tires and rims or any of the features I mentioned? I do have aspirations to put some bigger tires/rims on and possibly do a lift if I cant seem to find the air suspension I'm looking for.

Sorry its such long one...thank you so much for you time and wisdom on these questions. if there is anything I missed that you think I should be thinking about or looking our for please advise that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just came across a couple 2007 V10 TDI that both appear to have the air suspension and center/rear diff lockers. any advice on this year and engine?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts