Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Did the successful conversion to Apple Carplay yesterday. The kit is from Naviplus in Melbourne.

Instructions were so so... there are cable plugs and components received which are not shown in the instructions, and there's items and connections etc in the instructions which don’t match anything you receive. The Touareg 7P dismantling instructions and photos are not always for the 7P and vice versa. So 3-4 phone calls to have a few thoughts and question answered, and in the end I thought there was a good 10-20% this would work... it worked.

Works perfectly so far. All the stock features are unchanged, only when you press the "Nav" button twice do you get the Apple Carplay screen.

The reason I did this was my MMI unit was just changed out for a new one, as the hard disk reading had failed a couple of times and VW Southport said they would get it fixed under our extended warranty - which they did (whole unit replaced, probably a few bad sectors on the hard disk). During this time I had a loaner Passat Station Wagon and used the Apple Carplay for the first time as we use Waze quite a bit when driving to Brisbane. The instantaneous traffic warnings and alternate suggested routes before you get stuck in traffic I find great. Hence the upgrade (or downgrade it used to be with cheaper model cars).

Recommended, but make sure you have the time to "take your time", as it is somewhat complex - or probably better said as time consuming to make sure you get it all right.

See you at the Muster in a month, Cheers Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did the successful conversion to Apple Carplay yesterday. The kit is from Naviplus in Melbourne.
So how do you get all the photos to show? or at least the thumbnails?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Congratulations Paul on a well done job(y).
Looking at your pics seems like a nightmare install, make sure you post an update if any gremlims show up in the future, it seems VW is not up to speed with other marques in this technology, it's evident both the superceded RNS510 and the current RNS850 is not keeping up with the much lower priced offerings available from other manufacturers.
It is something that I would like to have in my 7L but it seems that is not available for my model, installation on the other hand seems to be something beyond my capabilities LOL.

TonyB

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
236 Posts
Well done Paul,
Looks great to me. It's very tempting but the price is holding me up at the moment. I can't justify it for my situation at the moment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congratulations Paul on a well done job(y).
Looking at your pics seems like a nightmare install, make sure you post an update if any gremlims show up in the future, it seems VW is not up to speed with other marques in this technology, it's evident both the superceded RNS510 and the current RNS850 is not keeping up with the much lower priced offerings available from other manufacturers.
It is something that I would like to have in my 7L but it seems that is not available for my model, installation on the other hand seems to be something beyond my capabilities LOL.

TonyB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well Done Paul. I have looked at the options but have not upgraded the original radio on my Treg 7L. You have given me some insipiration to have a look at this again. I will talk to you at the Muster. OLIE.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Instructions were so so... there are cable plugs and components received which are not shown in the instructions, and there's items and connections etc in the instructions which don’t match anything you receive. The Touareg 7P dismantling instructions and photos are not always for the 7P and vice versa. So 3-4 phone calls to have a few thoughts and question answered, and in the end I thought there was a good 10-20% this would work... it worked.

Works perfectly so far. All the stock features are unchanged, only when you press the "Nav" button twice do you get the Apple Carplay screen.

The reason I did this was my MMI unit was just changed out for a new one, as the hard disk reading had failed a couple of times and VW Southport said they would get it fixed under our extended warranty - which they did (whole unit replaced, probably a few bad sectors on the hard disk). During this time I had a loaner Passat Station Wagon and used the Apple Carplay for the first time as we use Waze quite a bit when driving to Brisbane. The instantaneous traffic warnings and alternate suggested routes before you get stuck in traffic I find great. Hence the upgrade (or downgrade it used to be with cheaper model cars).

Recommended, but make sure you have the time to "take your time", as it is somewhat complex - or probably better said as time consuming to make sure you get it all right.

View attachment 233083

View attachment 233084

View attachment 233085

View attachment 233086

View attachment 233087

View attachment 233088

Good stuff. Thanks Paul.
I put one in last year. Auto lecky quoted 2 hours and 10 hours later it was finished, so yes, instructions are not particularly clear, but the crew in Melbourne were patient and helpful.
Turning off the navigation means the clock does not auto up-date the time, the altimeter is gone and the direction on the dash is wrong. Great for streaming radio, provided there is 4g coverage !
As to cost, the reason I proceeded was I was told VW would not be supporting the 850 navigation from this year (not sure if that happened) but the cost to upgrade 2 year old software made the Naviplus a no brainer.
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff. Thanks Paul.
I put one in last year. Auto lecky quoted 2 hours and 10 hours later it was finished, so yes, instructions are not particularly clear, but the crew in Melbourne were patient and helpful.
Turning off the navigation means the clock does not auto up-date the time, the altimeter is gone and the direction on the dash is wrong. Great for streaming radio, provided there is 4g coverage !
As to cost, the reason I proceeded was I was told VW would not be supporting the 850 navigation from this year (not sure if that happened) but the cost to upgrade 2 year old software made the Naviplus a no brainer.
Cheers, Greg
Greg, my clock auto updates (doesn't seem to be any issue), the altimeter is still there and functions properly and not sure what you mean by the "direction of the dash is wrong". Everything works absolutely as it was, everything is as normal until you press the "Nav" button for a second time which then activates the Apple Carplay. Unplug the iPhone and the Apple Carplay disconnect and everything returns to normal. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Greg, my clock auto updates (doesn't seem to be any issue), the altimeter is still there and functions properly and not sure what you mean by the "direction of the dash is wrong". Everything works absolutely as it was, everything is as normal until you press the "Nav" button for a second time which then activates the Apple Carplay. Unplug the iPhone and the Apple Carplay disconnect and everything returns to normal. Cheers Paul.
That's very interesting. Thanks Paul. I spoke with the auto electrician at the time and he said it was a consequence of the install. I had my mechanic check it on VAGCOM and nothing there. The "direction on the dash" is the small arrow at the top of the centre of the panel, which shows the direction, eg N, NW etc. I presume it gets the data from the same source.

I will follow up with Naviplus and see what they say. Maybe a cable has been left out etc.

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's very interesting. Thanks Paul. I spoke with the auto electrician at the time and he said it was a consequence of the install. I had my mechanic check it on VAGCOM and nothing there. The "direction on the dash" is the small arrow at the top of the centre of the panel, which shows the direction, eg N, NW etc. I presume it gets the data from the same source.

I will follow up with Naviplus and see what they say. Maybe a cable has been left out etc.

Cheers
Greg
Greg, ok. The direction on the dash still there... can be map (travel direction aligned) or north facing. All still works.

·
Learner
4,980 Posts
thanks for sharing Paul...on the to do...would be good to have this feature

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,968 Posts
I'm compiling a list of wants and needs. This one is on the needs list.

Reactions: Singh

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the Naviplus installed on my 2017 Treg. Instructions leave a little bit to be desired. I am not into car 'projects' so I sucked it up and paid a local car audio shop to do it. It took them 3 hours. The Naviplus support guys are fantastic. They provided a WhatsApp number and my tech was able to call them and troubleshoot a few things. Pretty sure it was 4 am and they were right there helping out. The thing that screwed up my tech was that a small part didn't make it into the box so he got everything hooked up and the sound wouldn't work. For reasons that are beyond me, you have to have an 'Audi MMI aux' cable plugged into the MMI port in the center console. I ordered that for 8 bucks on Amazon and it works perfectly. (You don't actually plug your phone into this and then you select 'AUX' for input on the media tab -- viola`). I also ordered the wireless feature and that makes this better than my previous CarPlay unit.

If you are used to CarPlay in a different car, the one thing you might notice is that the VW Dynaudio touch screen requires a little more force to swipe and select. I just got my Treg last year and previously had Carplay. I thought I could deal with the downgrade in electronics, but it just sucked. The Naviplus is not cheap, but you will get a genuine CarPlay experience and the only visible change is a small microphone they placed by the rearview mirror. Unless you like taking things apart, get a professional.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just had the Naviplus installed on my 2017 Treg. Instructions leave a little bit to be desired.
Do you happen to have the instructions that you can share? I just bought a naviplus from a member on the board but it didn't come with installation instructions.

·
Learner
4,980 Posts
Car audio shops have lots of experience but still leaves me cynical.. if they have enough Touareg experience and care to put it all back like how it was.... perhaps its my ocd
Good you have it all done and working well.
Checked out Pauls install and it works a treat

Reactions: Coight57
1 - 20 of 52 Posts