Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm interested in getting a Naviplus system....is the system itself Android OS based? Where would be the USB port for phone connection located upon installation?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been looking into various options. It seems all android based options are using the same USB CarPlay module that you can buy yourself on Amazon for $60. amzn.to/2TXQvCx

This company Navitopia on Aliexpress has several models that mount on the top of the dash by replacing the dashboard compartment lid. Some of them say the steering wheel controls don't work, but this one does say they work:

aliexpress.com/store/product/NAVITOPIA-8-8Inch-Android-7-1-Octa-Core-Car-DVD-Multimedia-Player-GPS-Navigation-for-VW/1847417_32892251159.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.17.37455d01yx6SZv

Has anyone tried one of these?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Mohammed.
Have you had any issues with the Lsailt system ?
Did you do the install ? How difficult was it ?
Has anyone else tried the Lsailt ?
Greg

It's working great for me
I did the installation myself, It's a little complicated and you have to be precise because in my case RCD550 you have to take it out and literally tear it down to the last piece. Then comes the part of installation the additional parts inside the car behind the glove box & supply them with power from the fuse box

There are brief manuals I will attach If you want to take a look on the parts and connections. If anybody is considering installation feel free to ask

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking into various options. It seems all android based options are using the same USB CarPlay module that you can buy yourself on Amazon for $60. amzn.to/2TXQvCx

This company Navitopia on Aliexpress has several models that mount on the top of the dash by replacing the dashboard compartment lid. Some of them say the steering wheel controls don't work, but this one does say they work:

aliexpress.com/store/product/NAVITOPIA-8-8Inch-Android-7-1-Octa-Core-Car-DVD-Multimedia-Player-GPS-Navigation-for-VW/1847417_32892251159.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.17.37455d01yx6SZv

Has anyone tried one of these?
That looks pretty slick, wish more information was available on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Pecote, thank you for the response! Thanks for the tips, I will pass it all along to my installer and hopefully he can avoid some of the obstacles you encountered. So, everything is seemlessly hidden, right? It's too bad the MIC can't be tapped into our existing one. Is the LCD still slow to respond to touches or does it behave as quickly or almost as quickly as a regular phone?

Yeah, a video of it in use would be awesome- but no rush. Do you think it was worth the upgrade? I plan to purchase it next week.. now your car will finally have all the modern conveniences that it should have had to begin with. Congratulations, where do you live again?
Just wondering gif you followed through with the purchase and install. Curious to hear reports on long term use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi tdub. Very interested to have the installation manual! I just ordered the module for my ‘12 Touareg... If it seems too complicated I may cancel my order...
Hi did you ever carry out the installation? I am considering doing the same thing. If you did did you hit any obstacles?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi tdub. My first install took at least 3 hours (had to figure out some things that were unclear), while the second took 2 hours max... It is not that hard but if you're not used (or willing to) do this kind of stuff then I really suggest you hire a pro.

You have to install it behind the RNS850 because you've got to connect the cable that goes behind the cd player on the carplay box, and then back to the cd player... And the cables aren't that long. I installed the android module (the one that connects to the iphone) behind the RNS850, and I had to put the other box (video box) in the space between the glove box and the RNS850 because of cable length limitation.

You have to tap 3 wires from the car and to provide current to the unit. I used posi-taps and highly recommend them. Very easy to work with. 2 wires (can+ and can-) have to be tapped behind the thermostat control module (this is relatively easy). These 2 wires will make the LCD automatically swicth to camera view when you put the car in reverse (and switch back on carplay afterward). The other wire you have to tap is behind the CD player (MMI wire in order to switch to carplay when you hit the NAV button). This is much harder because you have to remove the glovebox. I highly suggest you don't undo the big connector behind cd unit because I was not able to put it back completely on my first install (2012 Treg). For the second install I did it quite easily with the connector plugged in (just take the time to locate the right wire - and this was clear in the instruction).

The most scary operation was disconnecting the LCD screen from the RNS850 and pass it through a small board using film connectors... I was scared, but it's actually very easy!

I also passed the microphone cable behind the dash and put it right in front of me near the gauges (now siri works as well as phone calls). Very easy to.

The system connects to the auxiliary input of the car through a 1/8 jack (they provide the vw mdi adapter and everything). So the car needs to be in media, aux in order for the sound to go through the car audio. Also I deleted my iphone from the bluetooth otherwise the phone was ringing at 2 places at the same time (rns850 + carplay). The only problem is if you're listening to the radio, then you will not hear the phone ring in the speakers (remember you have to be in media-aux mode)

Also naviplus were very helpful and answered quickly to my questions.

Once it's installed. It works pretty much flawlessly... I experienced some disconnections but I heard that carplay is very sensitive to that. It could be related to the state of my lighting port. Needs some cleaning.

I'll post pictures but I did not take any while doing it. Sorry.
Thanks for the great tips. What size Posi-taps did you use?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I had a professional installer do the work today. Hooked everything up and it was working perfectly... But when the reinstalled it they lost the GPS signal. So, it'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone know what to look for a "no GPS signal" message? I am hoping it just simply got disconnected somehow... But that didn't seem obvious. We will dig more into it tomorrow. Is there a reset on the green menu or anything that we might have to do?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Nevermind, I think we got it all working.. the HDMI cables got loose. I'll posts some videos tomorrow

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Thanks, i've had my eye on these for about 7 months :)

Waiting for someone else to pull the trigger LOL

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I think there are some other alternatives but I believe this is the closest to an OEM like setup that you could get.

Some of the other ones are wired in a way (that I understand), the headunit will act more like a tablet or mirror than a true Android auto system. In this case, the Android auto is dependent on software versions of the unit. But in the Naviplus setup, it's a true Android auto or Carplay unit and behaves like one..

That's the best way I can explain it. But the lobotomy install was frightening.. so happy to have it working now though. Having a new car with 10 year old technology was a bummer. Glad to be out of the dark ages!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think there are some other alternatives but I believe this is the closest to an OEM like setup that you could get.

Some of the other ones are wired in a way (that I understand), the headunit will act more like a tablet or mirror than a true Android auto system. In this case, the Android auto is dependent on software versions of the unit. But in the Naviplus setup, it's a true Android auto or Carplay unit and behaves like one..

That's the best way I can explain it. But the lobotomy install was frightening.. so happy to have it working now though. Having a new car with 10 year old technology was a bummer. Glad to be out of the dark ages!
There are mirror models available but I understand from my auto electrician who installed my Naviplus that they cause the phone to overheat and then cut out etc. I am very happy with the Naviplus.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts