Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a touareg 2013 3.6 v6. Unfortunately it did not come equipped with GPS. Does any body have experience with buying and building in the 4.4.4 kit kat navigation that can be bought? I also noticed big price differences between 400usd and 620 usd.

Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,

Timme

·
Registered
338 Posts
Get a phone with a good map app and BlueTooth. I have the Nav in my 2013 Treg, but I use Waze or Google Maps and the BlueTooth most of the time.

The traffic data on the built in system is only on the major roads, so anytime traffic backs up on the interstate it dumps you onto a side road that it assumes has no traffic. Sometimes that doesn't work out very well. The map apps have a lot more roads on their traffic data. Another down side to the built in system is that you have to pay big bucks to upgrade the maps when they get out of date.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Agree with 2blueyam. My '14 has nav and traffic, and 99% of the time I only use the Nav to let me know what the speed limit is if I haven't seen a sign in a while. I otherwise use Waze.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also own a '13 w/nav and traffic

as well as live in Chicagoland; although I'm not 100% sure, the Sirius traffic add-on includes both the detailed warnings themselves (separate button) and the red-yellow-green highlights on either sides of major roads where available; I use this last aspect almost daily to see if some streets & highways are backed up on my commute home; does save me time and I then take my alternate routes. The first 4-years of the traffic piece is covered by VW and then you can get a subscription along with the Sirius radio function (many don't think its worth it but I've stuck to a basic annual pkg); mine expires this coming Dec. In another car w/o GPS I've used the built-in maps app on my iPhone; it's OK but I do like the quick visual on the Touareg's GPS screen -- is it worth the two prices you're quoting, perhaps not unless its the latest one with Google landmarks, etc. showing and then of course, if you want updates down the road, they're expensive vs. just about anything else. I like the direction many of the car mfg's are trying with smart phone integration as the GPS OEM versions are always typically a few years behind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts