Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I just bought (01/2019) a 2008 Touareg with DVD based navigation system with the Dynoaudio upgraded audio system w/ 6 Disc changer. No bluetooth, or any other option than the phone jack Aux input in the center console. So I've done a few hours of research lookin for an updated nav system with bluetooth capabilities. That's now the problem. The issue I have is... why can't I find a unit that utilizies the existing GPS antenna, back-up camera and aux input?? I hate thinking that I have to 'hard wire' a new unit and also have to run wiring for a new GPS antenna and back-up camera when it already is wired for them. Most of thes units, either domestic or foreign, avoid answering questions about the connectivity of the unit to the specific vehicle. Now there's some Chinese brands like Seicane and Smartauto24 that have some interesting units that might work, but most of the reviews on YouTube are from the companies that build them, so thats not useful!! I'm concerned about the steering wheel controls, No loss of existing speaker setup (11) and compatability with the center instrument display which shows nav info or audio info. So the basic question is....how to upgrade your unit without cutting wires and using the existing hardware!! Who's got an answer??

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can use the existing gps antenna with a sma-fakra adapter. Back up cancel won’t work as it uses a vga signal I believe, not the rca signal of aftermarket decks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK. So I just bought (01/2019) a 2008 Touareg with DVD based navigation system with the Dynoaudio upgraded audio system w/ 6 Disc changer. No bluetooth, or any other option than the phone jack Aux input in the center console. So I've done a few hours of research lookin for an updated nav system with bluetooth capabilities. That's now the problem. The issue I have is... why can't I find a unit that utilizies the existing GPS antenna, back-up camera and aux input?? I hate thinking that I have to 'hard wire' a new unit and also have to run wiring for a new GPS antenna and back-up camera when it already is wired for them. Most of thes units, either domestic or foreign, avoid answering questions about the connectivity of the unit to the specific vehicle. Now there's some Chinese brands like Seicane and Smartauto24 that have some interesting units that might work, but most of the reviews on YouTube are from the companies that build them, so thats not useful!! I'm concerned about the steering wheel controls, No loss of existing speaker setup (11) and compatability with the center instrument display which shows nav info or audio info. So the basic question is....how to upgrade your unit without cutting wires and using the existing hardware!! Who's got an answer??
I'm in the same boat, man. Looks like there is some go-arounds and adapters (steering wheel controls / backup cam) that we can get to maintain some stock functionality, but it hasn't be well documented. I'd really like a android/apple carplay unit installed but looks like some stuff like steering wheel controls need to be spliced-in. Google maps mirrored on the headunit (via carplay) would negate the need to utilize the NAV equipment in the vehicle....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installing a newer VW NAV unit

Hello Touareganauts! Still looking for options for an easy upgrade for my 2008 Dynaudio Nav system. Has anyone looked into installing a nav unit from a slightly newer VW. I assume the plugs on the back of different models that have been installed in newer GTIs,Jettas, Passat, etc. are slightly different so no chance of a plug-in-play situation. Just wondering if anyone has checked to see if a unit from a 2012-2015 VW would work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I understand it, because I am looking to replace my headunit, is the VW RNS-510 touch screen Navi Unit fits.
For you and your 2008, with the new CAN-Bus 2.0 system, the RNS-510 is a direct replacement. No wiring connector adapters needed, but antenna adapters might be.
BUT ... you will need VAG-Com or a similar tool to reprogram / change the adaptation / recode the Touareg to understand that a new factory radio has been installed and please give me all the functions.
If you buy a used unit ... the RNS-510 can be upgrade to the latest Firmware . Just be sure to the Firmware that matches your location. North America / US is 1140 currently.
What I don't understand is the differences in part numbers.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4193973-The-Complete-reference-guide-to-the-RNS-510
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rns-510-vw-radio-navigation-system-faq-and-comparison/

I have a 2005 with the CD navi head unit. So my retrofit looks to be a lot less simple.
Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is not the right threads for 2015 questions.
Mine is a 2005 First Gen one off radio and the OP has a 2008.
The RNS510 was the best option radio for those years, but the 2015 has an even better radio - RNS850

And people are adding the Apple Carplay to it.
A quick Google search of "RNS850 Carplay" found these.
https://www.naviplus.com.au/single-post/2018/01/18/Apple-CarPlay-Android-Auto-Retrofit-for-Volkswagen-Touareg-7P-series
https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/85246-rns-850-android-auto-and-apple-carplay-retrofitted/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Somewhere on this forum I found a post that explains the Touareg RNS-510 part numbers are different from the other VW models based on the curve of the front facia.
Now I know why we shouldn't buy a VW Jetta Navi unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, After all the reading on how to do the swap from my MFD2 to the RNS-510, I ordered the unit, the bluetooth accessories, the rare RVC control module (B), I was ready to make this swap. Then I read about the RNS-510s with the rounded facia. GEEZUS!! How did I miss that there are only certain models of the RNS-510 that will work in the Touareg. Thankfully, the guy I bought my unit from will return it (minus the shipping charges) UGH!! Now I'm at a crossroads with the project, and probably just gonna bag it! The correct RNS-510s I've found are $300 above the Jetta/Passat versions, so it's just to much!! I'd be looking at $1200 to do a swap just to get Bluetooth and SD card slot, which I really want to have, just not worth the trouble. I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls and the MFD display info with an aftermarket unit. No wonder the Crutchfield tech gasped when I told him what my vehicle was..LOL. I guess I'll just update the Nav maps and call it done. Very sad...

·
Registered
17 Posts
What does the Jetta flat faced RNS-510 look like in the Touareg?

I have a 3D printer to fill in the gaps / edges ... at least I was thinking about it anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does the Jetta flat faced RNS-510 look like in the Touareg?

I have a 3D printer to fill in the gaps / edges ... at least I was thinking about it anyway.
Hey Hampton! I'm back in the game!!! I found on ebay this weekend the right RNS-510 and snatched it! Printing a facia for a different RNS-510 sounds like a lot of work, but if these units continue to become rare, maybe your on to something. Anyway, other than the satellite cable ( I've seen 2 different versions with one end being different), and the coding, which I still haven't found clear instructions, and the 18 Pin to 26 pin thing ( do I need another harness or just moving some pins?). As far as I've read, it's pretty much just plug and play except the following... Bluetooth gear and back up camera module arriving soon. I'll try to document this swap as best I can for those changing from MFD2 units to RNS-510. Links and help on above questions welcome!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Popcorn, did you find the “correct” thread. I’m looking to do some work in my 2015, and was looking for a post in regards to properly removing the navigation unit to gain access behind it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm in this exact situation. It's an '08 V8 with Nav & Dynaudio.

Does anyone have a part number for a harness adapter for an aftermarket head unit? Seems like an impossible task after a week of searching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts