Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with VW dealers that they just simply refuse to update navigation software on my 2012 Touareg, even if you tell them you don't care if it is expensive?

They actually tell me to "get a Garmin if you want navigation."
Another favorite: "You cant update the navigation on a 2012 Touareg."
or "It was a transitional model; go to this website and download the update."
That last one doesnt work--there is no software on the website they gave me (i forget where it was now...).

I would much prefer that they update the software.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was planing to update my navigation too but. The dealer has to order a update card for the dealership. Then he has to activate the card then he can update the navigation system . It takes a hour to update . The cost $535 plus tax. ��������

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
The cost $535 plus tax. ��������
There is another post here that details all the bull that the dealer has to go thru to do the first update. It is ridiculous.

The sad fact, remembering the $$$ specified in that thread... the dealer is probably just breaking even on doing the very first map update at $535.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Are you saying the navi doesn't work now? Mine seems just fine. Maybe there are roads that are new that may not be accurate,but so far not a problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been going through this with my dealer as well. The service department doesn't seem to have ever done it before. At this point, my maps are 4 years old and are missing major roads. I spoke with the the parts manager at my dealership about it quite extensively, and he knows how much I buy there in parts, so he was upset to see how I was getting the run around, and is working to make it right. He's already got the SD card, but the activation card is on national backorder, so we are waiting on that now. Since the service department is clueless, he worked out a deal with them that they will only charge me for the dealers price of the activation document, and won't charge me for installation. Lets be clear; it's about 5 minutes worth of work for them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is another post here that details all the bull that the dealer has to go thru to do the first update. It is ridiculous.

The sad fact, remembering the $$$ specified in that thread... the dealer is probably just breaking even on doing the very first map update at $535.
The most recent SD card, 7P6051236AN, has a MSRP is $312. That's not what the dealer pays. Minimum $100 less. The activation document, 7P6051850AN, has a MSRP of 386.00. I know for a fact the dealers only pay $250 for this. I also know you can order the North America activation document from VW.de for 179 €.

I spoke at length with the parts manager about this. We both agreed that VW has a flawed business model on this. They are trying to prevent piracy, which is likely rather rampant on the RNS-510 and other VW nav systems, which I understand. But they are more likely to get customers to pay for it if they offer it to customers when they're getting regular service done, at a price point under $200. It's also probably why they are using CarPlay in the new models.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, companies always end up shoot themselves in the foot when they try to deal with piracy. Ultimately they end up costing themselves more money, while pissing of their paying customers, and people still happily pirate the RNS850 maps/firmware.

Search european touareg related sites, and you will find activation methods for these things.

However, for some reason VW just hasn't bothered bringing updated firmware/etc to NA at all. Can't really explain that one, they didn't even bother on the new models. Pretty confusing. It's firmware that's been available in ROW for ages even on older models, so really just no excuse.

This combined with the AdBlue will probably guarantee this VW to be my one and only VW. Can't imagine I'd buy another given how incompetent they generally appear to be. Subaru was similar, after 5 I've given up on them due to engine quality issues and their hilarious in-car amenities. It's like buying a mid-90s Toyota in terms of stereo/bluetooth/etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ultimately they end up costing themselves more money, while pissing of their paying customers, and people still happily pirate the RNS850 maps/firmware.

Search european touareg related sites, and you will find activation methods for these things.
I don't mind paying for the maps, but being forced to have the dealer perform the update just pisses me off. Are you saying that there is an alternative method to dealer activation?

I saw a russian thread recently where they are working on activating Google Maps on the Touareg. I'd love to get my hands on that firmware. Hopefully it'll be coming to NA soon, even if just in the form of downloads from forums like this.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't mind paying for the maps, but being forced to have the dealer perform the update just pisses me off. Are you saying that there is an alternative method to dealer activation?

I saw a russian thread recently where they are working on activating Google Maps on the Touareg. I'd love to get my hands on that firmware. Hopefully it'll be coming to NA soon, even if just in the form of downloads from forums like this.
Yes. All over Europe they've done quite a bit with the units, both the RNS850 variant and the MMI3G. Most is documented under the MMI3G, but ultimately it's fairly well documented at this point.

If you are familiar with working on embedded systems, you can start here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/225614389/How-to-recover-a-bricked-Audi-MMI-3G-or-3G-Plus and get insights to most of what you need to know to work on these units.

The challenge is, I'm not aware of anyone anywhere having 6.22 firmware on a North American unit. Even the 2016 Touaregs as far as I know still have the 6.12(?) firmware at latest.

I'm still trying to source a US RNS850 control unit to put on the bench and test out all the fun stuff they've done in EU.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, as I'm not really willing to shell out $500+ for a good working unit to do testing with, until someone totals out their T3 with RNS850 and sells me the control unit for cheap, I probably won't get into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my 2014 updated for $535. (software and labour) My dealer took it to another dealer who had the SD card. That dealer had only done a 2012 prior to mine. Both installs ran into complications. Apparently there are different versions of the software that have to match. My software had to be reordered before I had a working unit again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't have another use for my $500 emissions rebate which comes c/w an expiry date so I put it towards this. I travel a lot and a phone or other device on my dash is not desirable

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why don't you just use Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps on your phone?
1. Because the nav screen is much bigger than my phone's screen; bigger map = more information
2. Because having route info displayed between the speedo and the tach is very handy
3. Because I often use my phone for other purposes while I'm driving
4. Because I don't always have my phone with me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why don't you just use Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps on your phone?
  1. I paid for the Nav system with the car and want to use it, and want it to be up to date
  2. I don't want to always use data to download maps data
  3. There are areas that cell coverage is poor, and you can't necessarily download map data.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts