Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 - Black V6 TDI Touareg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching I have not found any recent information available on this subject (lots of old threads)
Has anyone had their RNS850 infotainment system updated?
My RNS850 in 2017/18 Touareg has:
  • Media Version: HN+_EU_VW_PO825
  • Navigation Database Version: 8R0060884EG AN 5.9.5
I have enquired at my local VW dealer in Mandurah... (received an uninformative response)
Have sent and enquiry to Perth Dealer

Many thanks in advance
Grant

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,928 Posts
have you tried Eurotechnik ?

I believe they can do firmware/map updates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,
Do you per chance know what the latest available version might be?

Grant

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,928 Posts
Hi Grant...no, I have not used them.

Give them a call tomorrow, they will be sure to provide all details costs etc. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Be prepared to pay through the nose for it though. When I enquired about 15 months ago I was quoted $850!! I looked at the service manager and went.... really!! You're joking? And his response was....No I'm not. Well I said to him that I thought that was a little unreasonable and he agreed. I told him I could go and buy three or more navigation units and have lifetime updates for that, or I could use my phone which has constant free updates and he agreed that I should just use them. It's just a pain and would be nice to have it working through the car. I would seriously consider getting the apple car play / android auto adaption for sort of similar money before just updating the navigation in my car. Much much much better option and has alot more functionality. But just my thoughts obviously.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,928 Posts
@evaddirb can you assist re pricing please?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Be prepared to pay through the nose for it though. When I enquired about 15 months ago I was quoted $850!! I looked at the service manager and went.... really!! You're joking? And his response was....No I'm not. Well I said to him that I thought that was a little unreasonable and he agreed. I told him I could go and buy three or more navigation units and have lifetime updates for that, or I could use my phone which has constant free updates and he agreed that I should just use them. It's just a pain and would be nice to have it working through the car. I would seriously consider getting the apple car play / android auto adaption for sort of similar money before just updating the navigation in my car. Much much much better option and has alot more functionality. But just my thoughts obviously.
In my case I have 5 years warranty and service surely the updates are included? Ian

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my case I have 5 years warranty and service surely the updates are included? Ian
I hate to tell you but I would highly doubt it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you all,
Having bought other brand cars new and discovered 3 year old maps installed on delivery, that experience taught me that
a) updates were not included in warranty,
b) They are expensive and still not really up to date
however I will ask the question of the dealers etc and post the latest answer.

Also looking at the NaviPlus or JoyeAuto add on units for CarPlay but not keen on doing the install myself as I am just a little apprehensive about ripping the dash apart on my Treg (from CarStereoShop in Perth the NaviPlus unit quoted as Unit Price + ~½ day labour + wireless connect Kit if you wish to go that far)

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,928 Posts
How much did they quote to supply and install? I'm curious.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
  • Car Stereo Shop: ~ 1500 incl supply of NaviPlus unit, however we did not get down to fine detail (seems they have done a few of these)
    A Point to note with the NaviPlus unit is that it works on the AUX input. When you want to use it you need to first select AUX input, this also means NO Radio/media/CD from the Infotainment system unless that too is coming from the iPhone while using CarPlay
  • Response from John Hughes VW in Perth: Map update included in service no charge :). This will be my first service (discovered this is far from free see later post)
  • Response from EuroTecnik: Not doing Map updates for Touareg.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're getting a free map update as part of your service. Well done. That's good news. I would very much love to see your service receipt on that so I can go and rub it in my service departments face and tell them.... "SEE!! not hard, and shouldn't cost a cent seeing as though I'm bring my car to you for servicing!!. I could easily go to a cheaper non dealership mechanic for service!"

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're getting a free map update as part of your service. Well done. That's good news. I would very much love to see your service receipt on that so I can go and rub it in my service departments face and tell them.... "SEE!! not hard, and shouldn't cost a cent seeing as though I'm bring my car to you for servicing!!. I could easily go to a cheaper non dealership mechanic for service!"
Ford supplied free upgrades with fixed price servicing on my G6E prior to the Touareg. My wife gets free upgrades on her Mazda Astina if serviced through Mazda. I will now probably go to John Hughes if they are offering that. Has anyone had experience with John Hughes Touareg service recently?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hope this goes as planned, although I am a little off the service point yet at only 12,000km on the ODO
Unfortunately they could not tell me what the latest version number was...
Also commented that If I wanted it done outside of a scheduled warranty service I needed to pay. (no $ amount discussed)
I have [AN v5.9.5] which seems to be about 2014 vintage give the roads which I have noticed missing on the maps.
Logistically most in car systems are updated abt every 2 years so hoping for something more recent

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so much for a free update from VW
Dealer called me back a few hours later to advice the update is $850+
(Free if you have anything other than a Touareg which must be why a Touareg is such a low priced vehicle o_O )

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK so much for a free update from VW
Dealer called me back a few hours later to advice the update is $850+
(Free if you have anything other than a Touareg which must be why a Touareg is such a low priced vehicle o_O )
Bloody mongrels. It's juts price gouging. Really ticks me off. They suddenly think that because you have a Touareg, you must earn half a million dollars a year!! ?‍♀

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so this makes ~1500 for an CarPlay installation seem "sort of" OK.... At least it may be a one off expense, no more map updates.
However a bracket to hold the iPhone is a lot cheaper, just seems out of place in the Touareg interior.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts