Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to purchase my Touareg. Should I opt for the Nav? Is it worth the price? Or should I wait for the 2005? Does anyone know if there a very many changes in store for the 05?
Sorry for the run of nonstop questions. I just joined the site today and already love it. Thanks.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,304 Posts
I think the decision on the NAV comes down to personal preference. I don't have the NAV and I don't miss it, because I can read a map.

Now, other TOUAREG owners I've talked with who have the NAV - love it!

So, I think it comes down to this: Is it something you'd like to have, if so, buy it - if not, don't

Sorry there wasn't an answer that was more definitive, but that's what I've got.

· Registered
36 Posts
The nav is something that you would need and much better than maps because its there, on all the time and if you want intergration get the VW nav not some of those Garmin ones. Im researching for a new car (possibly touareg) and my criteria is that it must have NAV as a option or standard. And unlike the Garmins, this is a good size screen.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have NAV. Our E500 has a much better navigation system but it's DVD-based and has a dedicated DVD in the trunk just for NAV purposes (one disc for all of North America, faster access time). I can read a map so I think it's just a toy and probably would not have ordered but it was a mandatory option with the Plus Package.

· Registered
18 Posts
Touareg NAV vs Garmin

I pick up my 04 Touareg, V8 with NAV, Premium Sound, 4 zone climate control, parking assist, trailer hitch and running board last Friday, 06/13 :joy: . Just getting things set up, but I am surprised that the NAV system does not display all the street names on the nav map.

Maybe I just haven't found the right setting yet, but I don't think so.

The system shows the street you are on, but not the streets that you are coming up on.

I guess the develpers thought that it would be used more for getting from one place to another rather than just wanting to know what streets are around you.

I have been using the Garmin Street Pilot III that shows all the streets. The water pump in my 1990 Land Cruiser froze up while I was on the freeway and I was able to look at the Street Pilot maps and provide the Auto Club with my exact location.

Does the NAV system have the ability to show all street names in the area? Am I missing something? I am looking forward to learning more about the NAV system.

Should you get the NAV system or not? I would get it as it is better than playing around with paper maps in areas you are not familier with. Especially when it comes to Places of Interest, Food, Gas and other things.

Let us know what you decide.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
tsutro, congrats! You should post in the Members forum with the details on your new Treg.

About the Nav, no street names is the biggest complaint right along with CD vs. DVD. A new set of CDs is supposed to be due out this summer, but I don't think anyone knows whether or not they will have changed the software to allow screen names to be shown.

When considering Nav I think someone should test drive one with and without and see how they like the difference in the interior, as well as gaining the functionality of the Nav unit.

· Registered
42 Posts
Until I bought my Treg on Memorial Day weekend, I was one of those folks who never had NAV and never thought I needed it, or wanted it for that matter. Afterall, whenever I was planning a trip, all I had to do was download a map from the internet and I was good to go.

After noticing that all my work friends had NAV systems, and probably because of the peer pressure, I decided to go with NAV in the Treg and couldn't be happier. While the names of streets aren't on the maps, the street you're on is displayed in the MFI screen, all streets (without names) are on the main screen and the NAV voice tells you when and where to turn.

On one of my first drives, my wife and I took a 50 mile drive looking at rural real estate parcels in Northern California. We were taking left and right turns on a whim, and after about an hour, I new more or less where we were, but wasn't keeping track of exactly where we were. To get home, I set the NAV to my home address and followed the directions. We made it home without error and even located the closest Starbucks for a stop along the way. Yes, I would have made it home without, but it definitely made the experience more fun and I would have absolutely missed the Starbucks.

I'm sure many on this forum have had similar experiences with NAV, but IMHO, if the upgrade is within your budget, you should definitely have it, even if street names aren't on the main display. I have the CD changer in the back, so the NAV disc for the Western US stays in the CD slot in the dash. I don't do much cross-country driving, so will likely never (or rarely) need to swap one of the 11 disc in the set.

Hope this helps in your buying decision!

· Registered
57 Posts
Question...

This is probably a looser of a question, (At least I’m consistent :confused2: ) but can the non-NAV radio be replaced with the NAV radio? I'm assuming it physically can. (Once the radio is available separately.) But I'm not so sure about the GPS receiver. Where does that reside anyway?

Yes, I understand that my non NAV MFI screen would be useless for NAV, but would it retain all the other info? Like radio stataion, etc?

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Re: Question...

2wheel said:
This is probably a looser of a question, (At least I’m consistent :confused2: ) but can the non-NAV radio be replaced with the NAV radio? I'm assuming it physically can. (Once the radio is available separately.) But I'm not so sure about the GPS receiver. Where does that reside anyway?

Yes, I understand that my non NAV MFI screen would be useless for NAV, but would it retain all the other info? Like radio stataion, etc?
You can add the nav radio after the fact but you need to add the GPS antenna also. The GPS receiver is in the radio. I believe the MFI will retain all the previous info. Not sure about whether there is any nav display in it when you change over. I know of only one person (in France) who has done the change. There was also someone in VA doing it but I haven't heard from him lately.

· Registered
33 Posts
If you have the air suspension without nav you would have the right MFI. Maybe VW will use a better system in future model years that would make the upgrade worthwhile.

· Registered
57 Posts
No air...

Nope. Shoulda stepped up when I had the chance, but I couldn't really afford the extra $$$ at the time.

MY MFI is the red LED version. I don't really care about that so much. I would just care if I were to lose any existing MFI display via incompatibility with the NAV head unit.

Where does the GPS antenna reside? I have access to Garmin antennae through a client and could probably have on installed, but interference isolation is a big problem as well as the antenna needing to be as free of metal above as much as possible. I would assume that the antenna is in the top of the dash. Anyone know for sure?

· Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't trust that document entirely because it shows the locking rear diff as standard on the V8 but lists it as part of one of the V8 option package #4.

· Registered
866 Posts
Re: No air...

2wheel said:
Where does the GPS antenna reside? I have access to Garmin antennae through a client and could probably have on installed, but interference isolation is a big problem as well as the antenna needing to be as free of metal above as much as possible. I would assume that the antenna is in the top of the dash. Anyone know for sure?
I don't have the NAV, but have read in the Bentlry manual that the Touareg GPS antenna is mounted in the right-front, above the headlight assembly.

· Registered
139 Posts
but there aren´t any really changes (new options) in the 2005 Touareg, are there ?

· Registered
42 Posts
T-Reg Wiz said:
but there aren´t any really changes (new options) in the 2005 Touareg, are there ?
Functional changes? Doesn't look like any immediatley. There was one mention of the possibility of the headlights that "turn" when you go around a corner. The cayenne brochure already boasts of that so maybe VW is getting it too, but its not set for sure.

Main reason I'm going for a 05 is so I don't take an immediate giant hit (instead just a big hit) on depreciation. 'Course, if the price increase is too much then I'll be scrambling to find an 04 that mostly matches my option list, though I dont' think that will be too hard since I could easily buy in WA, OR, or even home in TX and then drive back to WA.

· Registered
58 Posts
Bought mine from Rusty Wallice VW in Garland, TX (just north of Dallas). Great dealership, large VW selection! I call them before I go to my local dealership for answers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.