Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to start this thread.
I need help, Advice, or any info possible.
What has happened to my Touareg could possibly happen to any of us.

My touareg was performing perfectly.
I went grocery shopping for my grandmother, and after delivering her food, hanging out, and later leaving her house,

I decided to refuel after the chime from the dash, I noticed I had 3/16th's of tank.

I filled up to "full" with premium gas. The Touareg started, ran for 10 seconds, then died. (I tried it again and again). (...and again to start it, 15+ times).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel how "alone" my situation is.
Thank You.

I thought it would be water in the station's system.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
one way to detect fuel pump issue is you have to shut all doors and lock the car as you normally do, wait for a bit and then open drivers door, you have to hear buzzing noise, if you dont hear anything its more likely your left side fuel pump have failed, try it, its only my guessing and it does not mean that its 100% the problem :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Thanks again for being present. I will read the link right after I post something.
(I'm desperate).

After arguing with the Gas Station manager about X, Y and Z it turns out that I'm on my own unless they decide to contact me later and repair/ replace my Touareg. At the advice of a lawyer, I took it to the nearest expert on german vehicles.

dot dot dot !

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just so happens that I manage a major (80,000 square foot) building that exxon rents from us. at their largest hub in the USA. They will not like me now.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
so as i understand you think its the fuel quality problem... thats also possible if the fuel filter is 100% clogged. anyway post updates :) kind regards nikoloz

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah.... At my lawyer's advice, I filmed the Touareg being towed to the nearest 20 year+ Volkswagen guru.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First thing he said (after the Second VCDS [VAGCOM] scan), was that no flags or indicators were thrown.

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
but just to say between us :D in 15-30 seconds new fuel that have been add to the tank i dont think would enter the engine, there are quite long way to pass, but off course you have to try to get it fixed by the gas station :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No "check Engine" Light, nothing, even though the car dies after 5 to 10 seconds of running (after 20 mins of trying).
Water was found in the tank. about 10-30% water in the gas, My mechanic said that should not cause it to die. we tried everything, $200/hour 4 hours today and nothing. i was there, He had a headache, so he wanted a break, He said he might have a cold. I understand.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but just to say between us :D in 15-30 seconds new fuel that have been add to the tank i dont think would enter the engine, there are quite long way to pass, but off course you have to try to get it fixed by the gas station :)
Good point, (and maybe it has nothing to do with the new fuel) however I do get only 12 MPG, and there is an abnormal amount of water in it. So..

Mechanic's tech's drained it. About 20% water and this cars fuel pump senses water and shuts off if too much water is found.

Fuel pressure tested at about 30 PSI instead of spec 53PSI (b/t 50-60 PSI can be expected also) They used two gauges b/c they thought something was wrong with their instruments.

What else do you think it could be?
I'm open to any solutions.

Mystery????

·
Registered
187 Posts
15 seconds for the fuel just filled to clog the filter 100%, jeez thats some crap fuel!!

Stupid question but you did put fuel in it, not diesel? check receipt, its ssssooooo easy done.

Start with basics as Niko said and check fuel pressure

·
Registered
187 Posts
sorry you added info after i started reply.

Done that lot then, but, 2 bar pressure is too low to start an engine??

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
andy205wrc, I'm sure we've all done that before. I certainly put premium (highest octane) gasoline in it. Although, I have heard of my friend accidentally putting diesel in a gas car on a long road trip. It made for a great story, an expensive story I should say.

I wonder if I am having the same symptoms as putting diesel in the gas powered Touareg?

My mechanic only drained a small amount of fuel into a clean bucket. It has lots of sediment and about 10-20% water. For some reason, my mechanic wants to start by replacing the throttle body, but we have no error codes, no check engine light, and when he put his hand in the throttle (to feel the butterfly valve move) while engine was running with a technician operating the gas pedal, he said it was moving properly. $600 for the part itself, and he does not sound confident that will fix it.

After post #10, I think i'll ask my mechanic to replace the fuel, clean the tank, inspect fuel screen, and see what what we learn from that, if anything. If problem remains after 10 Starts (or however long/many starts you think it should take for the fresh fuel to pass through injectors), then I might start throwing parts at it. But we are talking about totalling up thousands of dollars here. I was planning on buying my girl a ring in the next couple months, plus christmas is coming up, not to mention I struggle to keep up financially as it is, but that has little to do with the car.

Engine runs exactly same amount of time, every time since refueling at gas station, about 10 seconds before dyeing. I can post video later on youtube so you can see what it does.

Yes the fuel system is reading about 32 psi, he said it should read about 53 psi. He also said this vehicle does not have a traditional fuel filter. It only has a screen at the bottom of the tank to keep trash from going through the fuel pump, the screen is part of the fuel pump (it's all one piece). The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank. To replace "fuel filter" means drain gas tank, clean the tank and fuel screen, or replace fuel filter, refuel with known good fuel.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank. To replace "fuel filter" means drain gas tank, clean the tank and fuel screen, or replace fuel filter, refuel with known good fuel.
I read that there are two fuel pumps there and they are working alternately? If one fails then you get a symptoms similar to what you have desribed. Is it true? :confused:
Also there is sort of camshaft position sensor which if out of order forces the engine to shut down.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts