Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry to ask so many noob questions. Once I learn more about this vehicle, I’ll be able to contribute more as I do on other boards.

I have a mysterious wine or whistle that comes and goes intermittently even while driving down the interstate. The only common denominator is that it will stop when I stop but it is not directly correlated to speed or engine RPM. It is as if while driving down the road you unplugged s hose or something.

It sounds as if it’s coming from the passenger side of the car but I can’t honestly tell if it’s coming from the front the middle or the back. All I know is that changing the HVAC makes no difference, changing the windows makes no difference but stopping the vehicle does. Whether or not it starts doing it again when you pull away is 50-50.

I do not notice any mechanical changes or drivability changes when it’s doing this, the brakes work fine the steering works fine everything else seems to be normal.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
187 Posts
could potentially be a vacuum leak of sorts? I know others (as well as myself) have reported an intermittent whine, coming from the brake booster vacuum pump and/or its associated hoses. Mine is an 08 V8 FSI so not entirely sure the similarities of the systems but might be worth looking into. Did you do a scan? Any codes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could potentially be a vacuum leak of sorts? I know others (as well as myself) have reported an intermittent whine, coming from the brake booster vacuum pump and/or its associated hoses. Mine is an 08 V8 FSI so not entirely sure the similarities of the systems but might be worth looking into. Did you do a scan? Any codes?

I do get lean codes about every other day. Hoping the two are related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In doing some more code scanning I found this.

I wonder if all of this correlates.

·
Registered
187 Posts
there you go. I would root around the brake booster pump and its associated hoses/check valves to check for obvious cracking. My bet is a vacuum leak, causing your intermittent lean condition. Please report back your findings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not entirely sure with the earlier V8's but on my 08, the brake vacuum pump is located next to the passenger side headlight housing. Hoses route along the passenger valve cover, splits through the firewall near the coolant expansion tank, as well as the trickier to reach section that routes under the passenger air intake ducting, under/near the throttle body.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I plan to dig into it on Saturday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don’t know yet if this has stopped the whine but it had to fix something.

I had two major hissing vacuum leaks as indicated by the temporary yellow electrical tape.

Going out for some test driving now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it hasn’t stopped the wine, but time will tell if it is solved the booster error as well as the lean errors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you check the hose running to the back of the engine near the fire wall? Mine were all cracked and leaking.

I have not yet. Every Tryme I try and search for a vacuum map it always comes back with the V6.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What’s really weird about this is that it comes and goes. After blocking off the leaks under the hood I just don’t hear anymore of them when it sits at idle and I never hear this whine at idle.

Think of having a window cracked just a certain way and the wind passing makes kind of a whine that’s what this sounds like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So noob question... I take it there’s a vacuum pump that may run more at higher engine rpm/ load when vac is lower?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check the secondary air pump as well as the actuators. I actually replaced the bottom actuator but the whirring continues (only for the first few seconds after the engine starts though).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check the secondary air pump as well as the actuators. I actually replaced the bottom actuator but the whirring continues (only for the first few seconds after the engine starts though).

Does that mean that there are two air pumps? I don’t know where either one of them are so if you could point me to either I’d appreciate it.

I don’t believe it’s possible for the sound to be coming from the front of the engine. Isn’t that where the actuators are?

It never does this at idle, it only does it at speeds and equivalent RPMs above 30 miles an hour.

When it stops, it’s quiet enough in the vehicle that you can hear it stop as if it were some sort of a motor that was spinning down with a squeak at one part of the revolution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does that mean that there are two air pumps? I don’t know where either one of them are so if you could point me to either I’d appreciate it.

I don’t believe it’s possible for the sound to be coming from the front of the engine. Isn’t that where the actuators are?

It never does this at idle, it only does it at speeds and equivalent RPMs above 30 miles an hour.

When it stops, it’s quiet enough in the vehicle that you can hear it stop as if it were some sort of a motor that was spinning down with a squeak at one part of the revolution.

I dealt with this for a year now, coming and going - but now I have a solid lean condition and brake booster vac code.

Is it possible that this leak(s) would cause an issue where when it's HOT outside and after running about an hour that the engine just wants to die and lose all power unless you floor it a couple times then it takes off again for about 1-2 mins? On cruise control it magically adjusts the throttle itself and bypasses the issue (you still feel it). In cooler weather this NEVER happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts