Club Touareg Forum banner

MY21 Touareg CR Towbar Install & Coding

16K views 145 replies 20 participants last post by  Singh 
#1 · (Edited)
After months of waiting the new ebox/module for the towbar was available for the M21 Touareg.
I don't know what exactly has changed but this module is different to the previous years.
Few pictures of the installation, highly recommend VW towbar installation, all up there were 9 modules recoded and the 10th ie 69 was installed, so you can imagine how much the electronics are interconnected.
Following modules have to be recoded for the towbar:
09, 13, 17, 3C, 46, 6D, 74, A5, 5F and finally 69.
The kickopen function continues to work well, just kick anywhere on either side of the towbar
Would be interesting to see, compare what aftermarket installers do...
The additional indicator on VC is cool, alerting that the blinkers on the trailer are working/flashing, with the 1 on it.
Towed the jetski around and tested it works well. The start stop gets remapped- doesn't switch off as often, going downhill it drops into lower gear compared to not having the trailer, rear traffic alert etc are disabled- it alerts/reminds you on the vc as you start and then goes away, note remains in the vehicle status messages if you want to scroll...
All up a very neat install with everything working the way it should be.
When reversing to hitch the trailer the guided line to the receiver of the trailer which comes up on the screen is very accurate, line it up and raise the suspension to latch, too easy!
Few pictures
Hood Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Tire Table

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Vehicle Automotive design

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Speedometer Gauge Line Odometer Plant

See less See more
#4 ·
Would love to, and have the articulated towbar but for some reason ADR(Aussie design rules) have a problem with it and as such VW provide a dealer install option only...grrr

#3 ·
In the UK they short-changed Gen 2 owners who didn't order a factory fitted towbar with a 600 watt coolant fan versus the 850 watt that came with the towbar.

Hotter climates seemed to get the 850 watts as standard.

I'd be interested to know what wattage your Gen 3 coolant fan is rated at down under.

It's a bit hard to reach the fan label but I believe it can be done using a mobile phone.

#5 ·
That's another good point for I would go for the factory towbar.
I will check that....my towing involves tugging a mere 500kgs or so from home to the closest boat ramp to launch the jetski

#6 ·
My experience so far. The install was done by the pre-delivery facility of Lennock VW in Canberra, quoted and billed as 4 hours - but 4 hours in VW dealer speak is $720! The kit was $1690, so $2410 all up.
No complaints about the physical installation, although the hitch rattles and clanks in the receiver over decent bumps. No anti-rattle bolt as standard.
Still no kick to open, despite several recoding attempts the day after fitting. They didn't try to fob me off, but they don't seem to know how to make it work. I'll take it back on a work trip in a couple of weeks and hopefully they'll have got the answer from VWA by then. The owners manual is explicit in saying that kick to open works for factory fitted towing so it's odd that some dealers can get it right and both here in Canberra haven't.
If anyone knows what the correct coding changes from pre-towbar should look like I'd appreciate it. I don't have my own scanning tools but perhaps being able to show Lennocks what they need to change might help. I gave them the list of modules from post #1 but they apparently had those anyway.
Even though it takes a second or two to activate, kick to open is proving surprisingly useful and I really don't want to lose it.

#7 ·
Hi, They should have installed the antirattle bolt down below, refer pic.
Re the kick open , the physical sensor is from the towbar out, if you sneak a peek from the exhaust looking inside the bumper you can almost see it, so if you kick in and out either side it works perfectly.
Get them to speak to VW HO or VW Mccarrolls, else come by when you're in sydney, you have the same spec vehicle as I, so should be easy to copy across.
Beyond the coding changes there could be adaptations that have been changed which I haven't done a pre and post of, amid other setup changes :)

Gas Bumper Auto part Machine Metal

Reactions: Elb91 and Wolfy
#8 ·
I had a call from the pre-delivery centre today confirming they had been following up the problem with VWA and think it's probably the location of the sensor, as they are using coding confirmed to work on other MY21s. Car's booked next week to pull the bar and move the sensor. Seems they haven't done many MY21s until mine with the shortage of parts, but now they have a flood. Shame they didn't get it right first time, but their attitude and followup has been very positive.

On the plus side I tried out the towball guide line to our van last week. Centimetre if not millimeter perfect. My wife was a great guide before Touareg, but she's out of a job now!

#9 ·
After months of waiting the new ebox/module for the towbar was available for the M21 Touareg.
I don't know what exactly has changed but this module is different to the previous years.
Few pictures of the installation, highly recommend VW towbar installation, all up there were 9 modules recoded and the 10th ie 69 was installed, so you can imagine how much the electronics are interconnected.
Following modules have to be recoded for the towbar:
09, 13, 17, 3C, 46, 6D, 74, A5, CF and finally 69.
The kickopen function continues to work well, just kick anywhere on either side of the towbar
Would be interesting to see, compare what aftermarket installers do...
The additional indicator on VC is cool, alerting that the blinkers on the trailer are working/flashing, with the 1 on it.
Towed the jetski around and tested it works well. The start stop gets remapped- doesn't switch off as often, going downhill it drops into lower gear compared to not having the trailer, rear traffic alert etc are disabled- it alerts/reminds you on the vc as you start and then goes away, note remains in the vehicle status messages if you want to scroll...
All up a very neat install with everything working the way it should be.
When reversing to hitch the trailer the guided line to the receiver of the trailer which comes up on the screen is very accurate, line it up and raise the suspension to latch, too easy!
Few pictures
View attachment 246677
View attachment 246678
View attachment 246679
View attachment 246680
Thanks for the pics. Just wondering did they cut out any of the back bumper to fit the towbar? I can't quite tell from the pic. Mine is due to get fitted at Beachside VW first week of December and not really keen for them to do a cut out if they don't have to. Thanks.

#10 ·
Hi, yes, the plastic bumper has to be cutout to have the tow bar pop through, refer picture in post 7 above.
If you can't make out the cut out section then they have done a good job.
This is where it all depends on the tech and their skill, leads to variability in the work given there's no factory cutout.
Good luck. I recommend hooking up a trailer there and then when you go to pickup post install, test it all out inc the kick open function.

Reactions: Elb91
#12 ·
Like Singh's mine was cut but only below the towbar and you pretty much need to get down to towbar level to see it. The shiny black party of the bumper cover is bowed slightly upwards by the hitch receiver, but a) you need to look real close to notice and b) I'd rather have a bit of flexible plastic bowed a bit than a much more obvious cutout around the top of the receiver
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Wood
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

#15 ·
Not sure if I understand that, Street navigation and HEMA specifically for the touareg?

#21 ·
Back to the dealer pre delivery centre today apparently to have the kick to open sensor moved to one side so it's not behind the hitch. It now at least works, but seems fussier than before fitting the towbar. I'll live with it for a while and learn the quirks before deciding whether it is a pass or fail.

Seems it was just bad luck for me that mine was the first MY21 they had done before I complained and they found out that the sensor move is required . You'd think that would be in the tow bar kit fitting work instruction ... :(

#22 ·
Had mine done recently and sensor works fine but for some reason my engine light stays permanently on. They said it doesn't affect anything but i need to take it back so they can work through with UK to find why its happening. Little things like the Sat Nav is a little slow to start up after coding but nothing else major.

#23 ·
That doesn't sound right, there should be no impact on nav booting up and there should be no engine light come on.
They obviously have no idea on how to code it properly

#26 ·
That's rubbish, is this a VW dealer you are referring to?
I could do this all in about 10mins.

#32 ·
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the group as I am taking delivery of my 2019 Launch Edition next week (to replace my Jeep GC) 👍 can anyone recommend a dealer/tech to install a towbar and brake controller in Brisbane? I have a Mustang 2400 cruiser, so need a towbar fairly soon 😁 Cheers Tony

#33 ·
Cool boat. Never heard of a Mustang. Turns out its an Aussie boat brand. Very cool!

Reactions: Kiwitd
#35 ·
Yep it will no problem. Do you guys launch it or slip it?

#36 ·
Try mt Gravatt, ask for Willem

#45 ·
Glasses Chin Vision care Goggles Hairstyle

• Haha
Reactions: Singh
#51 ·
VW Towbar and associated modules were about $2300 installed. Don't think about trying to skimp on adding the correct VW modules. The towbar itself fits neatly and keeps the ball overhang where VW specifies for ball weight management.

Yet to tow with it, but I'll be using an Elecbrakes trailer mounted EBC which has programming and manual override on a remote that connects to the trailer unit via Bluetooth. No vehicle side wiring required at all

#86 ·
Just got car back today after they changed the Adblue tank to fix solid orange engine light issue. We know that it's a coding problem but oh well. Drove off and now it's throwing up an Adblue error saying it will cut the engine off in 1000km hahaha. So now they are admitting its a coding issue. Booked it in with Bayside Camberwell who are just up the road for me to get this sorted. Let's see what they diagnose. So can't really go far in my Treg until it goes back in to be diagnosed April 11th. Well at least I have a new Adblue tank hahaha. At this point the car computer can't tell there is at least 10 litres of Adblue in the tank. I also asked about having the ability to see the Adblue levels. I got told that apparently the 2021 Touareg doesn't come fitted with the Adblue level reader like the engine oil reader. I told them that it didn't make sense as there is a warning indicator at a certain level so there must be something reading the liquid level of the tank right? I didn't get a concrete answer to that one. I'll update you all as this unfolds.

#87 ·
If you can share a complete scan of your touareg perhaps I help point out where the issue is, is is certainly the coding causing it.
I cannot find any measuring value for adblue level similar to let's say engine oil so they could be right, not that I am staying I am 100%

#90 ·
Good to know that you have been looked after! 👍

#94 ·
G’day Singh. Thanks for the post. Looking at the photos of the tow ball, it seems to be very close to the rear bumper (like my 2013). I‘m getting ready to tow with my Touareg and was worried about safely hitching up so as to avoid damage to the bumper. I have seen a towing aid at Repco called a ‘coupling-mate’ (see link below). Do you have any thoughts on this (or am I being unnecessarily paranoid!). Tim.

#96 ·
I see your point, but for all the towing i have done it hasn't been an issue.
The rear camera is pretty darn good, press the tow bar icon on screen to guide the ball as you steer, and if you want more control flick to off-road mode for hitching

#100 ·
So you make an informed decision, cheaper alternative is obdeleven, nearly one third the price, the little dongles works over Bluetooth and one could argue it does most of what vcds will...there's threads here with various opinions. I have both.
With vcds you have a choice to get limited VIN versions vs unlimited, of course liberty comes at higher price.
Will drop you a pm when next I am there 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.